The journey to a Yellow Book in Hua Hin

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
buksida

Re: The journey to a Yellow Book in Hua Hin

Post by buksida »

GeorgieGirl wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:33 am Can anyone recommend an agent who can apply for a yellow book on our behalf. Does anyone know about a Certificate of Residence issued by immigration and if that can be used to open a Thai bank account
You could try Anna Visa Services on Soi 94, she does visas, passports, driving licenses etc, so may help with a yellow book also. https://annavisaservices.com/

As far as I know, the residency letter will work for a bank account providing you're on a non-imm visa ... and the banks vary with their treatment of farangs so if one says no, try another one.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

@GeorgieGirl

An agent can probably help with getting documentation translated and certified (passports mainly). You'll also need transliterations of your parents' names. You will also need a copy (maybe the original?) of the residence blue book, and your landlord's (if you're renting) id card.

As for the application, you need to go in person. You should also get the pink id card at the same (or nearly same) time.

I'm sure that those who have done this will chip in with additions or corrections.

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

The journey to a Yellow Book in Hua Hin

Post by Dannie Boy »

I got mine done in Cha Am some years ago, so I don’t recall all of the details but it was very easy and I didn’t have to go to Bangkok and fairly certain not even immigration (although I could be wrong there) - as you mention, I also got a pink ID card at the same time.

Since then I’ve moved and getting a new Yellow Boor and ID card was unbelievably easy, all done in Cha Am, albeit at two separate offices.

Could be different in Hua Hin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

hhinner wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:47 pm @GeorgieGirl

An agent can probably help with getting documentation translated and certified (passports mainly). You'll also need transliterations of your parents' names. You will also need a copy (maybe the original?) of the residence blue book, and your landlord's (if you're renting) id card.

As for the application, you need to go in person. You should also get the pink id card at the same (or nearly same) time.

I'm sure that those who have done this will chip in with additions or corrections.
I have been here 18 years and have never needed nor been asked for a Yellow Book or an ID card. My wife is thai and the house is in her name and I have a married visa.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

You can definitely live here without either but there are some advantages of them - for one the ID card is typically accepted as proof of identity and is credit card size so easily fits in a wallet, so no need to carry your passport. I also use the yellow book at Immigration as proof of address as I’m not on a marriage visa.

PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:45 pm You can definitely live here without either but there are some advantages of them - for one the ID card is typically accepted as proof of identity and is credit card size so easily fits in a wallet, so no need to carry your passport. I also use the yellow book at Immigration as proof of address as I’m not on a marriage visa.

My Thai Driving licence also covers my ID
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
GeorgieGirl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by GeorgieGirl »

Thanks everyone for advice. We have lived here for approximately 20 years but I wanted to open another bank account. The bank now requires two forms of photo ID. I am one of the minority in that I don’t drive so only have my passport as photo id.
At the bank they mentioned a Certificate of Residence which I can get from immigration and hopefully that will be okay in the short term.
Many thanks for the input and assistance.
buksida

Post by buksida »

PET wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:38 pm I have been here 18 years and have never needed nor been asked for a Yellow Book or an ID card. My wife is thai and the house is in her name and I have a married visa.
The yellow book is extremely handy for proving your address, which is becoming more of a requirement everywhere these days ... unless you enjoy going to immigration every couple of months, queuing up, and parting with money for a letter that is technically free.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

When I renewed my driving licence a few months ago they accepted the yellow book, so no need to get a letter from immigration

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

In the beginning, after initial enquiries I didn't bother with a Yellow Book (YB). It was only when others, not living in Hua Hin got theirs so easily that I thought I'd do it. Of course, Hua Hin, being Hua Hin made things a lot harder, and that story is history, and documented at the start of this thread.

Regarding the Yellow Book, since I've had it, I've used it less than 10 times. However, when I have used it, it has saved me a lot of hassle. My pink ID card on the other hand is used quite regularly for all nature of things. The only thing it isn't useful for is internal air travel i.e. flights are booked in my name written in English, and my name on the ID card is written in Thai. I have complained to airlines, but their response correctly states the name on the ticket must match exactly with the name on the photo ID. OK, when refused the check-in clerk has been a jobs worth, but its pointless arguing against regulations.

Going down the YB journey as a Hua Hin resident was a bit of a nause, but having 8 years to assess the benefits, yes, I'd rather have it than not have it.

Just as an aside, in the early days of discussing the new tax rules, the need for a YB was being bandied as a requirement. Was this need dropped?
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’ve just checked and like you BB, my pink ID name is in Thai and yet my wife’s ID name is in English!!

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, although it will be acceptable by most airline crew, if you get a jobs worth on the desk, the rules are on their side.
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:11 pm I’ve just checked and like you BB, my pink ID name is in Thai and yet my wife’s ID name is in English!!

I have to say, I've seen this mentioned a few times now and it always strikes me as singularly odd. A Thai person gets their name written in English (and Thai, of course) on their ID but the foreigner gets only Thai. TIT.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

If it was the other way around you could quite understand it, but this way just seems at odds but then again TIT!!

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, the international traveling Thai may need to show a 2nd photo ID, therefore the Thai ID card in English and Thai.

The pink card foreigner can only use that here. Most Thais can't read English and can't understand his name if spoken. Only written Thai is needed on the card.

There's probably logic in there somewhere? :shock:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source