2024 F1 News and Prediction League

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Re: 2024 F1 News and Prediction League

Post by pharvey »

Well, with regards to the "Snooze Fest", I suspect stood in the crowd on Race Day could well be somewhat boring as things stand - depending on your vantage point of course. To be at the venue itself would be a hell of an experience and I for one would love to get to Free Practice and Qualifying (and Pit Access) at a few tracks some Day..... The Main Race? Well, my opinions on that are pretty clear I think and to be able to watch how the whole technical and tactical side of things progress, you need to be watching live on the screen with access to all data and race highlights.

As for following teams, drivers and "jumping ship", pretty much Zip changes for me. Ferrari have always had my following and support to a big extent - the name, the cars, their history..... Though have to admit, the "Schumacher Days" dented my support somewhat!!

I've followed LH from the early days at McLaren and obviously his time with Mercedes - I'll stick with all. You support through the good times and the bad IMO. Christ, I'm certainly going through some bad times with regards to Welsh Rugby!! :cry: :banghead:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

We're a few races in now and I'll restate what I said before. Hamilton is the past. Mercedes won't throw him under the bus, but I don't expect at all that they will bend over backwards for him as they did before. Russell and ??? are the future. Pure and simple business decision. I think Russell's car has been performing consistently better than Hamilton's this season so far. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:12 pm We're a few races in now and I'll restate what I said before. Hamilton is the past. Mercedes won't throw him under the bus, but I don't expect at all that they will bend over backwards for him as they did before. Russell and ??? are the future. Pure and simple business decision. I think Russell's car has been performing consistently better than Hamilton's this season so far. :cheers:
Well, no.

Hamilton is certainly suffering, but there's no way that a team like Ferrari would offer him a contract if he "is the past" . Is there? Hell PeteC you're "Jumping Ship" to support them after all... Alonso at 42 and with a couple more years left in him is running rings around many - including his far younger teammate. By your argument, is Alonso still given the better car with Aston Martin knowing his contract is up at the end of the year?
Mercedes and Hamilton are far more professional than obviously some perceive them to be, but hey. Russell is a very, very good driver - so don't just assume he's been given the better car or better support. Sainz is leaving Ferrari at the end of the year, yet his car and performances so far? Could this just be another massive conspiracy? Come on PeteC - games are not played with regards to cars at this level, lives are at risk. Games are however sadly played as they are in all worlds, for political and financial benefit.

I agree youngsters need to come in... BUT - bad things happen with lack of experience. Crashappen got his moniker (at least from me) because he was bloody dangerous in a very fast car (notably RB). The RB car was quicker than Merc for several years, before the petulant twat took the title (illegally). Yes, he's now one of the best on the Grid - but still one I dislike immensely and have little respect for (how much respect does he show others?). Put an "oldie" like Alonso in his car..... Oh, I wonder. :wink:

More has to be done for youngsters to come through - and some laws/rules need to change as I've said previously on this thread. Mercedes, Ferrari and even Red BS are doing this - all under 20 and in Merc's case, a 17 year old! All a few years away and for very good reason. Hamilton may be the past, but his reactions, ability and experience are still way up there. I truly hope he sticks around in the sport for the youngsters rather than ponce about with his politics and "fashion"....

:cheers: :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

My point was, and stated as such, is that Hamilton is/was the past for MERCEDES, nothing else. They offered him a contract, he accepted, then exercised a clause to get out of it. No clue why Mercedes would have put such a clause in. Let's see where we are at the end of the season. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:58 am My point was, and stated as such, is that Hamilton is/was the past for MERCEDES, nothing else. They offered him a contract, he accepted, then exercised a clause to get out of it. No clue why Mercedes would have put such a clause in. Let's see where we are at the end of the season. :cheers:
Point taken.. :D

The clause I believe was there because A) LH wanted a longer contract (for vast amounts), i.e. 3 Years which Mercedes weren't willing to give. LH quite rightly fought his corner, but B) Ultimately a 2 year contract was it. Lewis made sure there was a clause if there was to be no improvement in the car. He got things right. Though his bitching for £40+ Million a year for 3 years did pi$$ me off...Especially when there was the arguements over salary caps, spending etc.

Many degrade and disrespect Hamilton saying he only made it whilst McLaren were at the top and when Mercedes dominated. Bollocks is my response - of course he benefited from Mercedes, but how much did they benefit from him? One of the big issues last season was the simple fact that he was not listened to. People continually miss what he offers a team - obviously Ferrari don't! There's trouble at Mercedes, and this lies deeper down IMHO - I hope it gets sorted!!

I've supported him and Alonso for donkey's years and will be sorry to see them go - BUT both are still a class above many on the "Paddock" and have a season or two driving in them yet!! :neener:

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, with the "Silly-O-Clock" times for UK viewers, I missed the Sprint Race, where remarkably it seems LH came in 2nd - Remarkable, as in Qualifying he just didn't seem to have the right set-up at all. Perhaps he and Mercedes made changes when they didn't need to be made? Red BS and Crashappen powered through yet again (boring isn't it? :wink: ).

Grid/Main Race

LH dropped a huge b*ll*ck in Q1, going out and ultimately placing him in P18 on the Grid. Disappointing from the Scuderia (P6 and P7 on the Grid) who I thought were going to be a damn sight closer to Red BS (a predictable Front Row lockout), incredible effort once again from Alonso (P3 on the Grid), Both McLarens looking good (P4/P5 Grid).

As for the Race! The "boredom" (yes :wink: ) of Crashappen flying away into the distance in that "Rocket Ship" continues, but the Race was far from boring! Some of the actual racing (excluding Crashappen) Yellow Flags and Safety Cars (both "Actual" and "Virtual") bringing things closer together, giving "Free'ish" Pit Stops to most - however, questions will be asked over how long it took to bring Safety Cars out in the first instance, but why they were out for so long also...

Hamilton certainly benefited, starting on "Softs" simply didn't work as Mercedes wanted, but they took full advantage of the Yellow Flags/Safety Cars and ultimately came from 18th on the Grid to finish in P9 and amongst the points.

Alonso is a class act - took Perez to move into 2nd off the start/Turn 1, but ultimately had to give way to the superior car. He dropped places later on with an error in strategy/tyre selection, but at 43 he's certainly still got it and is still outperforming many on the Grid (P7) and gets the "Fastest Lap" to boot!.

Norris (P2) and McLaren were again right up there - unfortunately for Piastri, damage suffered to the car held him back, though still in the points (P8).

On the negative side of things - have to feel for Ricardo who was forced to retire through no fault of his own (or the team) and similarly team mate Tsunoda who was taken out by Kevin Magnussen the latter being penalised 10 seconds.... Why only 10 seconds when he has caused the accident which has taken Tsunoda out of the race? This rule (amongst others) needs looking at.

An enjoyable race for me, though I'm sure many will only be looking at who won and are switching off to F1 - a pity really.

Main Race Result: -
'
F1-PRC-RESA.jpg
F1-PRC-RESA.jpg (42.95 KiB) Viewed 91 times
F1-PRC-RESB.jpg
F1-PRC-RESB.jpg (40.95 KiB) Viewed 91 times
HHF/Superbru Prediction League: -

Well, nobody expected (or predicted) Alonso taking the Fastest Lap :shock: Everyone went for the "Early Bru Point" and well, Crashappen (obviously :roll: :banghead: )!!

"Dai_L" took the Yellow Cap and was on the phone within minutes to gloat... "Parahandy" still leads the pack. Things are tighter than they have been in past seasons though... :thumb:
F1-PRC-RES-SB.jpg
F1-PRC-RES-SB.jpg (41.77 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Next up, the Miami GP over the weekend of May 03-05.

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Rumours are that Mercedes are bringing in certain upgrades for the Miami GP which will make a major difference.... Well, yep, I've heard that somewhere before!! :roll: :( Wolff must be feeling the pressure...

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... y0aII7DqlL

I truly do hope Mercedes will do better in Miami, but I fear they are falling further and further behind. Looking forward to what McLaren will do and if Alonso can upset the odds for AM.

More later.... :thumb: