The Recommended Movies Thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: The Recommended Movies Thread

Post by 404cameljockey »

I'm a bit wary of recommending anything other than films with guns and explosions, or sci-fi now.

But for anyone interested in Charles Dickens' personal life and his heavily suspected affair with Ellen Ternan, The Invisible Woman is a lovely film with a great cast. The romance is handled correctly, in Victorian fashion, and it's a slow burner of a film. So be warned.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

404cameljockey wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 4:31 pm You don't turn off the sound when you enable subs. They're just there to use when you want. :D
Yes, but unfortunately I don't speak Japanese or Swedish... :wink:
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm sorry 404cameljockey, but Sir Henry at Rawlinson End lasted just 4 minutes. Really is nothing personal - we'll have to agree our taste in cinema are a thousand miles apart :D.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Big Boy wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:22 pm I'm sorry 404cameljockey, but Sir Henry at Rawlinson End lasted just 4 minutes. Really is nothing personal - we'll have to agree our taste in cinema are a thousand miles apart :D.
An alcoholic English aristocrat tries to put his brother's ghost to rest by finding a way to put trousers on his legs.
Of course the idea of an English aristocrat who is both alcoholic and as mad as a hatter is completely ridiculous... nevertheless I'm definitely tempted to take a look. Written by a member of the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah band and has an impressive cast list.
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The turn off for me was the pre-1940s way the movie was made. I never gave the story a chance :oops:

It was slightly more advanced than Keystone Cops to look at, which was probably quite clever cinematography in 1980. I'm sure there must be something special for 404cameljockey to have had it as his favourite movie ever for 44 years. I'm just too impatient.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big Boy wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:25 pm The turn off for me was the pre-1940s way the movie was made. I never gave the story a chance :oops:

It was slightly more advanced than Keystone Cops to look at, which was probably quite clever cinematography in 1980. I'm sure there must be something special for 404cameljockey to have had it as his favourite movie ever for 44 years. I'm just too impatient.
Yes, off topic for a moment. The Bonzos were great band, funny and ironic albums with varying styles from track to track, Viv Stanshall in real life a tragic and melancholic genius. The film was adapted from his radio play, his wonderful poetic narrated prose lends itself to the cinematic sepia tone, the idea of ancient England and the crumbling Rawlinson End. The rare scenes of special effects (the ghost) are supposed to be silly not advanced. The idea of an old military man keeping two genteel Germans in his own prisoner of war camp is offset by their willingness to play along. There are a host of very funny lines (Trevor Howard has almost all of them) also very poetic ones.

Stanshall's spoken off camera narration just washes over you almost like Dylan Thomas's Under Milk Wood.

Then there examples of Trevor Howard (Sir Henry)'s lines:
"Germany calling, Germany calling: (regularly to the PoWs)
"I don't know what I want, but I want it now" "I want my meat burned like Saint Joan” (bellowed at Mrs. E. his cook)
"Bring me Calvin's horse radish, with vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers" (beautiful)
"I never met a fuzzy-wuzzy I didn't mutilate" (funnier than it sounds, from an old Boer War campaigner)"
"That was inedible muck and there wasn't enough of it"
"If I had all the money I've spent on drink ... I'd spend it on drink" (my favourite)
etc.

Lady Florrie:
"My dear Henry, if dirty fingers were trumps, what a splendid hand you'd have."

It's all about the words, not too much about what you see. Stanshall is maybe an acquired taste, I always got him, and I perfectly understand that he's not for everyone. I believe the film has cult status!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

The Thai film Hunger is maybe too long for some at 2 hrs 20 mins, and subtitled. Apart from the twisted driven chef of the five star restaurant (think The Menu) and the two gross food eating scenes (think Raw but without the cannibalism) it's about eating as an act of hunger for status versus eating as subsistence for the poor. It's social commentary as well as a fairly foodie film, with faithfully rendering of Bangkok street life scenes, a pad see ew restaurant, and a short scene in a public hospital ward that's perfectly captured.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

404cameljockey wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:10 pm The Thai film Hunger is maybe too long for some at 2 hrs 20 mins, and subtitled. Apart from the twisted driven chef of the five star restaurant (think The Menu) and the two gross food eating scenes (think Raw but without the cannibalism) it's about eating as an act of hunger for status versus eating as subsistence for the poor. It's social commentary as well as a fairly foodie film, with faithfully rendering of Bangkok street life scenes, a pad see ew restaurant, and a short scene in a public hospital ward that's perfectly captured.
Raw is a hell of a film! The French do disturbing like no other country (Edit: The Menu is too, think it was DM that recommend that, didn't think much on first viewing, now watched it about 10 times) I'm not even going to be guessing that you've already viewed Martyrs. :laugh:
I'm a bit wary of recommending anything other than films with guns and explosions, or sci-fi now.
Recommend away, I'll certainly be giving Hunger a whirl.

You watched Godzilla Minus One yet? (It's Japanese language don't download if you don't do subtitles, folk :D ).

https://yts.mx/movies/godzilla-minus-one-2023

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Don't be expecting a thriller or horror film though.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Just a heads up, Ridley Scott's Gladiator II is due out in November this year. :)

It's a sequel (they had also considered a prequel): Director Ridley Scott mentions that since he was last seen approximately 15 years ago, Lucius has been living "in the wilderness" with no connection with his mother, who now thinks he might be dead.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

404cameljockey wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:11 am Just a heads up, Ridley Scott's Gladiator II is due out in November this year. :)
Not sure if I'm looking forward to it or dreading it....
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Abigail has landed. It's a good horror. 4k just coming through.

https://yts.mx/movies/abigail-2024

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.