Premier League 2024-25

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Premier League 2024-25

Post by PeteC »

The Premier League have confirmed that the fixture schedule for the 2024/25 season will be revealed on Tuesday 18 June 2024.

The Premier League have already confirmed the start and end dates for the 2024/25 term.

It will begin on 17 August 2024, 90 days after the 2023/24 Premier League concludes on 19 May.

The final match round of the 2024/25 season will be played on 25 May 2025, when all matches will kick off simultaneously as usual.

The 2024/25 season will consist of 33 weekends, four midweek rounds of matches and one Bank Holiday Matchweek.

.....No mid-season break

The mid-season break has also been removed from the calendar to allow a mid-August start date for the Premier League.

This longer summer break allows all Premier League clubs to be better able to ensure that players get a consecutive three-week break in the summer. This takes into account expert advice from medical and technical departments, which values a longer period of complete rest in the summer rather than a short break in the winter.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/3832048

....The Premier League has said that, in a bid to address the "congested schedule across Christmas and New Year," more rest time will be given to sides over three of the festive match rounds, with no club playing within 60 hours of another match.

Unlike in 2023 when Wolves hosted Chelsea on Christmas Eve, there will be no fixture on December 24 2024.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... -final-day
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Re: Premier League 2024-25

Post by PeteC »

Clubs will be able to recruit players between 14 June and 30 August

https://www.premierleague.com/news/4012986

The Premier League has confirmed the transfer window dates for the summer 2024 and winter 2025 transfer windows.

The summer window will open on Friday 14 June and will close at 23:00 BST on Friday 30 August.

Meanwhile, the winter window will open on Wednesday 1 January 2025 and will close at 23:00 GMT on Monday 3 February 2025.

To ensure harmonisation with the major leagues in Europe, the closing dates were set following discussions with the EFL, DFL, Serie A, LaLiga, and LFP, who will all close their Summer and Winter windows on 30 August and 3 February respectively.

More: https://www.premierleague.com/transfers/2024-25/summer. (Constantly updated site)
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Poch is gone. De Zerbi to Chelsea?
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

A bit more detail - no real surprise even though Chelsea won most of their last few games!!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/ar ... ww8xw8nywo
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Well, it was a surprise to me, and a mistake IMO. Instant success seems to be the principal requirement these days.
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Over the years, Chelsea have shown to be the most impatient team striving for success - probably the reason why it’s eluded them!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:22 am Over the years, Chelsea have shown to be the most impatient team striving for success - probably the reason why it’s eluded them!!

This was posted just a few hours before the sacking!!

https://www.football365.com/news/opinio ... ard-palmer
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:22 am Over the years, Chelsea have shown to be the most impatient team striving for success - probably the reason why it’s eluded them!!
How has it eluded us?

The bigger question is if the two sporting directors (why two?) are advising the board, then questions need asking aboout them. Because they have a crap record so far.

I had reconciled myself to Poch staying and felt he deserved it after the performance of the team since Christmas, when only City, Arsenal and Liverpool secured more points than us, even if some of those performances were unconvincing, especially against Arsenal, but even after despatching the spuds and West Ham easily, we really rode our luck with unconvincing wins and performances against Forest, Brighton and Bournemouth.

I think the bigger issue for Poch was having an input into who Chelsea are trying to buy and sell, and for some reason, the American owners want a system where the coach just manages who he gets. Can you imagine City buying someone without Peps input? Its crazy.

I think if the owners proceed to sell Gallagher, and to a slightly lesser degree, Chalobah, who has been massive after missing most of the season through injury, then the fans will react far more negatively (putting it politely) than they have about Pochettino. Chalobah rejected offers in the summer to remain at Chelsea, where he is yet another who came through the academy.
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

“How has it eluded us”?

Quite simple - you’ve changed managers more often than most bar girls change their knickers, so the new manager has no time to get his team playing as a cohesive unit!!

caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:37 pm “How has it eluded us”?

Quite simple - you’ve changed managers more often than most bar girls change their knickers, so the new manager has no time to get his team playing as a cohesive unit!!
But we've been doing that ever since Abramovich took over in 2003(?). So many seasons where we had two managers. Di Matteo (ex Chelsea player) was a caretaker manager after Villa-Boas was sacked and he won the Champions league abd FA cup in 2012, then after the season finished, he was made permanent manager and then a few months later was sacked!
Talk is cheap
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

caller wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:50 pm

But we've been doing that ever since Abramovich took over in 2003(?). So many seasons where we had two managers. Di Matteo (ex Chelsea player) was a caretaker manager after Villa-Boas was sacked and he won the Champions league abd FA cup in 2012, then after the season finished, he was made permanent manager and then a few months later was sacked!
I know it was extreme over Abramovich's era, but the BBC Report quotes 6 Managers in the last 5 years - that's quite a record!! I wonder how many millions Chelsea have paid out over the years after sacking Managers. Hell, it seems any contract over 12 months and the Manager is guaranteed a pay-off!! "Money for Nothing" as Mark Knopfler would say... :wink:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pharvey wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:09 pm
caller wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:50 pm

I know it was extreme over Abramovich's era, but the BBC Report quotes 6 Managers in the last 5 years - that's quite a record!! I wonder how many millions Chelsea have paid out over the years after sacking Managers. Hell, it seems any contract over 12 months and the Manager is guaranteed a pay-off!! "Money for Nothing" as Mark Knopfler would say... :wink:
I’ve just read this and apparently Chelsea have spent about more than one billion Euros on 28 players since Todd Boehly took over Chelsea, so that’s in just 2 years - not sure how much he’s paid for managers and compensation, but I’m sure it’s a tidy sum!!

How have Chelsea spent, and by how much?

According to the site Transfermarkt, Chelsea have spent €1.1 billion on transfer fees since summer 2022.

You don't need me to tell you that's a lot of money, but I will. If you took all of the money that Boehly and the rest of Chelsea's ownership have invested in just the fees necessary to get a player to break his contract with his previous team, turned it into pennies and stacked those pennies on top of each other, the resulting structure would be more than 150 times taller then Mount Everest.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/insider ... ta-billion

Look at Man City and Liverpool - they’ve spent quite a lot of money over the years but they’ve stuck with their respective managers and the results show. When will Chelsea learn that you can’t buy overnight success?
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:22 pm Look at Man City ....
Then again, aren't they up for 100 plus charges? Not sure if all financial, but... :shock:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:22 pm
I’ve just read this and apparently Chelsea have spent about more than one billion Euros on 28 players since Todd Boehly took over Chelsea, so that’s in just 2 years - not sure how much he’s paid for managers and compensation, but I’m sure it’s a tidy sum!!

How have Chelsea spent, and by how much?

According to the site Transfermarkt, Chelsea have spent €1.1 billion on transfer fees since summer 2022.
But there's the rub, nearly all those new players are on long term 8 year contracts (now outlawed and reduced to a max of 5 years), with the idea being spending is reduced in future. Quite fanciful, I feel, and yes, I think nearly all Chelsea fans yearn for managerial stability, but even without that, we have been one of the most succesful clubs around. Even with the recent chaos, we have reached 3 finals in the past two seasons, although unusually, we didn't win one of them. We also took Man City all the way in the FA Cup semi final. Many pundits, not just fans, look at those failures as managerial.
Talk is cheap
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Like Destiny Udogie before (bought him but loaned back for a season), I'm extremely excited about Lucas Bergvall when he joins us soon. Spurs beat many teams to sign him.

The, now, 18 year old will join the first team shortly i hope. Followed his highlights all season, he looks very good.

https://x.com/tottenhamhq/status/179468 ... MJaeg&s=19
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.