Non-immigrant B visa

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Non-immigrant B visa

Post by barrys »

I have a friend who has a problem.

His visa expires very shortly and he needs to know the nearest place outside Thailand where he can get a Non-Imm B, preferably for 1 year, without any hassle.

Anyone have an idea?
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

I used the thai embassy in Vientiane, Laos fro my last Non imm B - it was easy, and much quieter than KL.
Submit before midday and pick up after 11.30 the next day.
If your friend needs to know anymore then get him to get in touch.
Hobiecat
Professional
Professional

Post by Hobiecat »

Some friends of mine who are long sayers here in Thailand accually working here legally with work permit say they go to Pahang in Malaysia every year to get theirs done. They say it's always very quick and hassel free. I personaly get mine done in the Emirates where I work.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Barry, is he on a non-Imm B now, and looking for a new one, or a tourist visa and looking to change to a non-Imm B? Either way, does he have a job lined up?
This is the way
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Thanks for the replies so far.

I'm really stumped on this one, so I'd like to set out the whole situation.
My friend is German and his English doesn't stretch to dealing with matters like this.

He set up a company here a a year or so ago, got a Non-Imm B from Germany and then got his work permit here.

His lawyer/accountants office then gave him some stupid advice regarding visa renewal and his visa had expired before the date on the immigration stamp in his passport. Result: visa expired so work permit invalid.

He then had to start the procedure of reapplying for everything.
He managed to get a 3 month non-imm B from immigration in Bangkok.
Then the new work permit was applied for.
The work permit has now been issued but the non-imm B visa expires in the next few days.

Now comes the big problem: his previous lawyer/accountants office had evidently not passed on the employee social insurance contributions and his tax, which he paid them every month, to the relevant authorities.

For this reason, immigration in Bangkok are looking for THB 600,000 in the company's bank account before they consider issuing a one year non-Imm B.

He can't fulfil this condition, so is looking for another way of getting the visa.
His Thai g/f has just had a baby and he is declared as the father on the birth certificate.
We're now trying to explore the possibility of whether he can get a visa issued here on this basis.

They are the facts as related to me.
If anyone has any objective comments, I'd be very grateful.

JW, thanks for your posting - could be very helpful - I'll PM you after we've explored the other thing if that's ok.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Just off the top of my head Barry, maybe have him exit through Ranong or somewhere and just come back in on a 30 day visa waiver entry which German citizens get. This at least gives him another 30 days, plus I think a possible 7 day extension to sort things out. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Thanks for that Pete - the only problem is that if he does that, he doesn't have a non-imm B any more, which means that he's lost his work permit yet again.

One piece of news though that leaves a small margin of hope - HH immigration apparently granted him a 7 day extension on his 3 month non-imm B today.
So that means he still has it and we have a few days to come up with an idea of how he can get a one-year visa.

Maybe this is where JW's solution could kick in.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A police report that his accountant stole his tax money may also be something of value to show to immigration? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Can't give you any practical advice on this one, but I would ask the Hua Hin immigration office (but not the lady in the too short denim skirt) for their advice (in the company of a good Thai speaker, Barry!)
This is the way
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Just to let you all know that this matter has now been resolved.

My friend first got a 7-day extension and we then followed JW's route after meeting up with him to clarify the details.

On JW's advice, I first faxed all the paperwork to Vientiane then phoned them a few hours later to ask if it was in order.
The inquiry was answered by a Thai official in the consular department who spoke extremely good English.
He confirmed that my friend could go there and apply for a 1-year multiple entry non-imm B.

He went there yesterday (Monday) morning and was able to collect his visa this morning (Tuesday).
Cost: THB 5000

Thanks to everyone for their help.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

That's great news, but what happened to the 600,000 baht issue? Simply because it wasn't Bangkok and the Vientiane embassy didn't know about it or see it on their computer? Pete :cheers:
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

The THB 600,000 in the bank regulation seems to be applied arbitrarily.

The thinking behind it, I believe, is that if the farang is supposed to be on a salary of THB 50,000 per month, they want to see that the company has the funds to pay the salary over the one year visa period.
A wee bit daft anyway, given that the company has umpteen other things it has to spend money on.

My own visa was granted by the same office in Bangkok without this provision being applied, for example.