Penang visas

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
lomuamart

Penang visas

Post by lomuamart »

For those who might be interested, here's the current situation. I'm writing this from Penang.
Despite being married to a Thai and producing more evidence than was necessary (especially financial), I only got a single entry Non O visas. Multi-entries are out of the question, at least for today. There were 5 or 6 other Brits in the agent's shop when I went in there an hour ago. All were married to Thais, some for 13 years. We all got the same - single entry. They were going ballistic. I just left and got a beer.
Tourist visas - definitely confirmed by a number of travelers I've met over the past couple of days. It's necessary to have an outbound flight from Thailand to get a single entry. Otherwise the best you can hope for is a transit visa of 30 days. (Yes, what's that? A 30 day visa? But that's what happening down here).
At least I got a rebate. So instead of 5,500 B for the multi entry, 2,300 B came back stapled nicely in my passport.
Thankyou Penang consulate :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Another update. I'm in Saigon, applied for a tourist visa. No hassles, I was the only one at the consulate at the time. Got my visa (tourist) without any problems, 30 USD and they even had change for my 40 USD.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

thanks for the warning bro

anyone got the latest skiiny on Laos? Are they following suit?

looks like i will use up my last 30 day then sod off back to blighty for a new full visa then :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

It may still be worth trying in Kuala Lumpur - I got a multiple entry non immigrant 'O' there under a year ago on the basis of marriage - all i needed to show was marriage certificate and copy of my wife's ID card, and no questions about financial status. This was at a time when Penang were not issuing them as well.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Forgot to mention, in Saigon they want to see your inbound ticket but not outbound.
salesguy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by salesguy »

Yes I'm anxious to know about Laos too. Thank you.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I went to Vientiane for a tourist visa in August last year and then again in November. I had no problems getting a single entry tourist visa there.