Express train Bkk-Hua Hin

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Lina
Rookie
Rookie

Express train Bkk-Hua Hin

Post by Lina »

Hi,

I'm going to take the train from Bkk to HH next week.
I've heard that the express train (departure 8.05 in the morning) is almost always fully booked and that you should buy the ticket some days in advance. Anyone know anything about that?

How long does it take with a taxi from the airport to the train station. I will arrive at 6 o'clock in the morning to Bkk and the train is leaving at 8... I will have no bagage but I still have to go through the passport control of course... Do you think I'll have enough time?

Does anyone know what the station in Bkk is called? Just Bkk train station? I think there are several...

Hope you can help me, thanks very much!
/Lina
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Lina,

Why are you travelling by train? You'd be better off getting a taxi to the Sai Tai Mai (Southern) bus station and getting a bus to Hua Hin. It's easy, you don't have to pre-book and they leave at regular intervals. It takes about 3 hrs to get to Hua Hin, so you'll still arrive in time for lunch. :)

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Governor
Professional
Professional

Post by Governor »

The trains leave from Hualamphong Station, but I think you might be pushing it to make the connection.

As "Vital Spark" says, you are as well getting a taxi to the Southern Bus Station, then one of the regular busses, it would probably be quicker.

You could even get a taxi all the way, wouldn't cost a lot more and far more convenient.
Lina
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lina »

Hi,

I normally go by taxi but since the driver fell asleep several times last time I did the trip, I thought I'd go for a safer way of transport this time:)
But maybe my schedule is to tight...so then I go for the bus.

Thanks for your help!

/Lina
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Take a look here for a timetable:
http://www.tourismhuahin.com/trains-huahin.php
Whilst the train is slow, the scenery is worth the extra hour or so, IMO. If you're not in a hurry!
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Lina
If the buses the others are telling you to catch are the old blue/white ones, do not bother. I know they are cheap but have only been on them once and never again.

The one I went only had vinyl seats and the A/C was not working all the way. When it is 30°c plus with no A/C and only vinyl seats to sit on I can tell you it was not a pleasent journey.

I have local taxi company that I have used the last coupel of times I have been there. Cars were OK, so were the drivers and the price.
If you want to send me a PM, I can send you the details.

Will be interested to hear how the train journey is from BKK as I had thought about doing it myself the next time I come out.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"