Visa run

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
derekahall
Novice
Novice

Visa run

Post by derekahall »

I need to do a visa run next week from Hua Hin. I have a non immigrant O visa so I only need to cross the border and come back, which is the best way to do this? Has anyone taken the train from HH to Padang Besar and then taken the first train back, before?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

The quickest way to do it is via Ranong, either under your own steam, or with a minibus - I think there are plenty of them. Going down to Malaysia on the overnight train for a quick border run (which is what you're thinking of, unless I'm having an all-too-frequent senior moment) seems like an awfully painful way to waste a couple of days - and that's assuming you can get tickets sorted out.
This is the way
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

dtaai-maai's correct.
I've tried to answer your query on the Penang visa run thread. Didn't see that you'd posted it here as well.
derekahall
Novice
Novice

Ranong visa run

Post by derekahall »

Has anyone been to the Andaman Club for a visa run? Read about it a bit on the Phuket forum but still don't know how to get there. The hotel's, Andaman club, website is down.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

If you bus down to Ranong you can get a motorbike taki to the Anderman Club pier. All in all it won't cost anymore than the tedious long tail boat crossings. Getting all yourtiming right can be a problem though if using the buses because if you get it wrong, you can end up sitting around for hours waiting for the next bus to Hua-Hin. The easiest is more than likely the visa run services offered here in HH - leave in the morning and back in the evening. The most fun way for me in the past has been to go down on the old faithfull Honda Wave. Leave here at about three in the morning, have plenty of stops for coffee and the odd beer. Get to Ranong, do the boat trip and then head back to HH. As one gets closer to home though, you may find yourself stopping more often for a break to give you arse a break from the seat on the motorbike.
There is also a nice place along the way where you can spend the night if you wish. I don't know the name of the place but its where the mini bus visa run stops on the way back to give everyone a break. I don't think they advertise but they have nice aircon rooms for 300 baht a night. Spent the night there once when the wife was with me. Once to Ranong on a bike was enough for her although I have done it since just for the hell of it.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
derekahall
Novice
Novice

Visa run

Post by derekahall »

Cheers for all the advice everyone. In the end I had to go to Bangkok to do something so I ended up going to Poi Pet. Set off on the first bus so it was nice and quiet when I get there and not much hassle crossing the border. Immogration tried to charge me $30 for the Cambodian visa but I stood my ground and only paid $20. If it wasn't for people like the Korean girl that stepped up before me and paid $30 without a word of protest I don't think they'd try it on so much.

Takiap, I took a Suzuki smash from Phang Nga to Ranong and back in January on a visa run and I couldn't walk properly for a week after. I couldn't do it from Hua Hin but good on you for doing it. The roads from Phang Nga aren't as scary as Petchkasem Road also.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Visa Run

Post by margaretcarnes »

I know you're sorted now Derek but for another tiime the Andaman Club crossing mentioned earlier is worth a try, if only for the high speed catamaran and excellent food at the Andaman. Ranong to Victoria Point is fine, but always scared the s..t out of me during rainy season and rough crossings. :cheers:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.