54 Myanmar migrants suffocate in container

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

trafficking

Post by redzonerocker »

sandman67 wrote: All the lot of them should be locked up for life....including the driver.

totally agree :thumb:
If it were my call Id lock em in a container and leave em in the sun to cook. :guns:
you're a harsh man sandman :shock: , . . . . .but fair :D
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

The larger point brought a few posts ago says it all. Burma is controlled by a military Junta and the people are going to be bullied and used until someone decides to stop it...........hmmmm, I wonder if anyone has some oil the people of Burma could borrow for awhile, G.W. will be in office for a few more months......
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Not sure how true it was but was reported that all the survivors were fined 2000baht each and and jailed for a short amount of time before being deported back to where they came from.

Thought that it was a bit heavy handed to fine them, but I suppose the Thai thinking is that they have to hand out deterrents from their side to try and stop this thung happening again.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

It appears from reading between the lines of several news reports about this case that the classification of people smuggling as opposed to human trafficking is purely being used as a way of repatriating/deporting the survivors more quickly.

It has already been stated that the six Thai nationals in custody will face charges of causing death by negligence which is obviously a much more serious offense than either.
Chas
Banned
Banned

fines

Post by Chas »

I was appalled that they fined these poor people. .the survivors!
If I had any clue how to manage it, I would have gone down and paid the fines for them. When I heard of it, I really wished I could have done that. . .or that somebody had done them that kindness in recognition and small recompense for their ordeal.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

This reporter usually writes good articles, as she does here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/topstories/t ... ?id=127279

COMMENTARY
Justice avoided

By Sanitsuda Ekachai
Though the police cannot now feign blindness to the Ranong tragedy, it is interesting to see how they have reacted in order to protect the hand that feeds them. And no, that is not us taxpayers.

Fifty-four people have perished in a horrific example of human trafficking in Ranong. But the police are refusing to touch the human smuggling ring. Guess why? Harsh poverty and political oppression are not the only principal factors for this endless influx of migrant workers from Burma.

Equally important are our internal ills. Guess what? Call it state complicity. Call it systemic corruption. Call it heartlessness.

Whatever we call it, they are the reasons why this hideous modern slave trade is thriving non-stop in our so-called Buddhist land. The Ranong tragedy is a case in point. Had it not been for the fatal breakdown in the ventilation system, the cold storage truck that was ferrying 121 workers would have made a safe trip to its destination in Phuket, as it had done countless times before. The local police would have been able to continue pretending - as they always have - that they know nothing about the blatant trade in human beings that is being carried out practically every day right before their eyes.

Though the police cannot now feign blindness to the Ranong tragedy, it is interesting to see how they have reacted in order to protect the hand that feeds them. No, not us taxpayers. Guess who?

If a case is registered as human trafficking, the migrant workers must be treated as victims entitled to state help and compensation. They must also be protected as witnesses so that the authorities can go after the masterminds and those involved in the human trade.

But the police fiercely insist that the Ranong tragedy is not a case of human trafficking, because the workers had not been "lured or forced" to come to Thailand. In addition, the workers were "on the way, without a destination". Therefore they may not be defined as slave labour. As such, the case can only be processed as one of illegal entry into the country, which means these Burmese migrants must be arrested, fined and deported immediately.

These excuses are maddening not only because they are absurd, but also because they show how the police view us - as nothing less than perfect fools.

How on earth can the police know that the workers were not lured or forced? How does the police define consent?

According to the United Nations' definition, trafficking in persons covers the recruitment, transportation, transfer, harbouring or receipts of persons by different means, be it through threats, use of force, coercion, abuse of power, or promise of future benefits. Consent is irrelevant when money changes hands for the purpose of exploitation.

In the Ranong tragedy, the truck was headed for Phuket. How can the police claim the lack of a destination? Money changed hands several times in the transport of these workers, to feed the underground labour market run by the local mafia. How can the police say this is not an organised crime of human trafficking?

It is the police's narrow, self-serving definition of human trafficking that has made Thailand a hub in the smuggling of humans in the region.

Thailand's promises to the international community to combat human trafficking are empty because the police refuse to change their ways. And why should they? Last month, Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej suggested an innovative way to discourage the migration of ethnic Muslims from Burma into Thailand: round them up and leave them on a deserted island.

There have also been attempts to mislead the public into thinking that the law against human trafficking is not yet in effect. This is not true. The present anti-human trafficking law protects only women and children, so it is being amended to cover male workers, too. The amendment will take effect in June.

Of the 54 people who died of suffocation, 37 were women. There were also children among those in the deadly container truck. Why didn't the police use this law to go after the big fish in the human trade ring? We all know the answer. That is why we cannot combat human trafficking - until we start combating our own police.

Sanitsuda Ekachai is Assistant Editor (Outlook), Bangkok Post.

Email: sanitsudae at bangkokpost.co.th
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

well I always say that every day here brings something new, and here is todays.... gotta say I am amazed someone from the Post has taken this line, and expressed it in such a forthright way.

Good on her! :thumb: :cheers: :thumb:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."