Background checks on teachers follows second arrest

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Post by ozuncle »

To obtain a work permit, I would expect that a Police Clearance from the country of origin would be mandatory.
Any criminal activity including sex related crimes should be enough to not accept the application for work in Thailand.
Why are people slipping through the system?
You only live once.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

ozuncle wrote:To obtain a work permit, I would expect that a Police Clearance from the country of origin would be mandatory.
Any criminal activity including sex related crimes should be enough to not accept the application for work in Thailand.
Why are people slipping through the system?
In the UK there is a sex offenders register and people do get banned for life for working with children. The Human Righta Act seems to have evolved into a system where the rights of criminals are treated with equal importance of those that need protecting. Can't see it happening.
Talk is cheap
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Background check on teachers follows second arrest

Post by margaretcarnes »

Ozuncle thinks that there should be police checks in the country of origin before work permits are issued in LOS. Nice idea - and maybe it does happen for teaching posts? But it certainly wasn't the case for run of the mill work permits when I got one in 2000.
The real problem IMO is highlighted by Caller. Criminals, including paedophiles, seem to have the same rights as anyone else, including in many cases being relatively free to live in the community, and near to schools etc.
Certainly in England the 'Care in the Community' ethos means that potentially dangerous people, particularly those with mental health problems, live anonymously everywhere, controlled only by regular medication. They are free to hold passports and to walk out of their 'homes' at any time. Nice thought eh? Who's living next door to YOU?
How did Paul Gadd (Gary Glitter) end up in Cambodia?
Food for thought.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.