Chaos on poonsuk

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
red dwarf

Chaos on poonsuk

Post by red dwarf »

Noticed over the last few weeks that Soi Poonsuk has been very over congested with mini buses this is a very small soi which hasn’t like many soi’s in Hua Hin not been designed for this type of traffic or any sizable amount of traffic at all,
Maybe this has been covered before on the forum, would it not be better to have this Soi closed to traffic after the hours of 5 pm
There are many people who wander in the street without a care in the world not realizing that a motor cycle / car or mini bus could speed up the soi behind them at any time, it is very worrying as we start to get into high season and families with small children are here on holiday
Surely who ever is responsible for this traffic has not looked at the safety aspect in a responsible way
Check your canopy it’s a long way down
buksida

Post by buksida »

I think some turd is running a pickup service from around there. This would explain the chaos and increased traffic levels :roll:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

That wouldn't be anything to do with the so-called 'Tourist Information Centre' would it? Whoever it is, it is insane to have so much traffic in an already overcrowded street, which is supposed to be one way. I fully agree that it should be (a) closed to all traffic (including motorcyles) at certain times of day, and (b) have the one way rule strictly enforced in that area. Of course the chances of that happening are zero so just make sure you tell anyone visiting to be careful around there, as well as on the roads in general.
SugarCane
Amateur
Amateur

Post by SugarCane »

I have seen many minibus park next to Tourist Centre. I will check next time I ride/drive down there. I have also noticed that this place encourages people to watch free football at weekends causing further congestion.

Does anybody know why the chilkdren's play ground has been closed off. I suspect a connection.

Husband Sugar Cane.
Voted the best bar in Hua Hin three years in a row.
Well stocked fridge. Good music, pool, cable and UBC TV. Water features, fish, no hassles no chocolate starfishes.
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

It took me 15 minutes on two wheels to get from city beach to a jammed junction where sands hotel is situated the soi was backed up solid, tuks tuks double parked and minibuses scatered all over the place blocking the access to all roads ,this to say the least was a week day what is it going to be like come week end, when the nonses from Bangkok arrive in their weely payment Bmw's SUV's ,lexus and mercs
maybe a poll is needed on this mater not just on the forum but on street level and passing on to the powres that be it wont be long before a fatialty occours on these small sois
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"
Farang
Ace
Ace

French them!

Post by Farang »

'
The French solution for that type of the chaos would be anyone who is bothered about
the congestion would show up with a motorbike, would park it helter-skelter so as to
make the congestion impassable. Few nights of absolute chaos would perhaps make
the Powers to see and do something about the matter.

Anyone for roadblocking?
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Sounds like a fair idea from farang except here people would just pick up your bike and move it somwhere where it was almost impossible to extract it.

Another idea would be to set up a strategic parking initiative. A line of Vespas parked along Poolsuk and Selakarm would look good.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

dr dave soul monsta wrote:It took me 15 minutes on two wheels to get from city beach to a jammed junction where sands hotel is situated the soi was backed up solid....
A faster alternative for that journey is turn left up the little market soi, turn right onto Nebkerhardt, right again at the lights and right into Poolsuk first spur past Octopussy. At the right time of day that probably only involves commiting only two offences.
red dwarf

Post by red dwarf »

I would be but I don’t have a bike or car to help out,
Is there any serious suggestions lurking out there perhaps? im sure there must be someone out there who knows who to speak to regarding this .it will only get worse as the high season approaches
Check your canopy it’s a long way down
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Let's set up a few tables and chairs and have a beer picnic in the middle of the road.
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

“My scoots get damaged enough thanks Guessâ€
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

I believe that there is some farang/Thai commitee that deals with stuff like this. I think that Jim Currie from Coconuts 2 is involved.

They managed to get the concrete blocks at the Soi 41/Petchakasem junction which apparently made it safer for all.

Maybe someone at the Observer or HHT might be worth contacting. Squeaky wheels fall on deaf ears here until the squeaks become roars.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

BG - and 'accidentally' drop a few empty bottles on the road ensuring plethora of punctures? Sounds like a promising idea...
On a more serious note, traffic in Hua Hin (as covered before on this forum) is becoming a serious problem all over town, and is only going to get worse as the expansion continues and projects like Tesco Lotus and Index are completed, and then followed by others. The parking problems are exacerbated by the unlicenced taxis and sometimes inconsiderate parking, particularly by motorbikes.

I hate to suggest this but some form of parking charges, or limited time free parking during certain hours/weekends, properly policed (HA!) may be the only solution. This would dissuade people from using their cars (and help the Thai economy in a better way than closing the petrol stations early) thus making the streets safer and more pleasant to stroll around, and also make it easier for those people who have to use vehicles e.g. disabled people, delivery drivers etc.

Ideally some form of public transport system such as the songthaews in Pattaya which run set routes to, from and around the town could also be introduced as a viable alternative so people can leave their cars in hotel car parks or at their houses. The only option other than my car at present for myself and many other people is the motorbike taxis (or a m/c of their own) and I am sure I am not alone in not feeling very safe on them, having had an accident a couple of years ago. Even if I do choose to get a m/c taxi from where I live I often have to walk 1 or 2 km before I come across one, especially after about 8pm.

Of course the chances of anything being done is zilch, so i don't know why I bothered writing all this! :guns:
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Wanderlust

Because you care !
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Wanderlust wrote:
those people who have to use vehicles e.g. disabled people, delivery drivers etc.

You forgot forum moderators.

Ideally some form of public transport system such as the songthaews in Pattaya which run set routes to, from and around the town could also be introduced as a viable alternative so people can leave their cars in hotel car parks or at their houses.

Songthaews have already started services albeit limited. In Pattaya they started with just the middle section of Second Road and back down Beach Road to Walking Street. I am sure the service will expand up to the airport with time.

Even if I do choose to get a m/c taxi from where I live I often have to walk 1 or 2 km before I come across one, especially after about 8pm.

Think of the health benefits of that. You will become fitter and even more attractive