Thaksin thinks of a Man City sale

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
buksida

Thaksin thinks of a Man City sale

Post by buksida »

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, owner of Manchester City FC, has tentatively explored the possibility of selling the club, UK media reported Wednesday.

The reports put the long-term future of Manchester City in doubt again.

The Daily mail online revealed Thaksin has spoken to an intermediary in the financial world over the past month about finding prospective buyers.

And sources close to the situation revealed last night that two anonymous parties have been approached as Thaksin has investigated ways of selling the club he bought for 80 million pounds last summer or bringing in fresh investors.

At present, there is no prospective deal in the pipeline and it is not known whether Thaksin, 59, is actively trying to sell now or merely testing the water for the future.

But as he struggles to get 800 million pounds of assets unfrozen in his Thailand while currently facing trial on corruption charges in Bangkok, it appears he is considering cutting his losses at the City of Manchester Stadium.

New manager Mark Hughes is currently trying to remodel a playing squad that he considers to be ill-equipped for a top-six Barclays Premier League challenge, but it is understood there is not a huge amount of money for him to spend this summer.

Furthermore, it is believed that Thaksin's cash-flow problems were such last season that he twice had to borrow substantial amounts of money from former owner John Wardle in order to pay the wages.

This money has since been repaid to Wardle, who quit his post as deputy chairman earlier this summer. Since Hughes took over, City have spent ฃ3m to sign Israel defender Tal Ben Haim from Chelsea and announced a ฃ19m club record deal for Brazilian striker Jo. Nevertheless, it is understood that the down-payment on Jo was actually a much more modest ฃ4m, with the rest to come in instalments.

The club are close to sealing the ฃ7.5m sale of Croatia defender Vedran Corluka to Tottenham as Hughes endeavours to release cash for new players such as Blackburn striker Roque Santa Cruz and West Ham defender Lucas Neill.

A recent bid to buy goalkeeper Brad Friedel from Blackburn fell down because City would not match the wages offered by Aston Villa.

Last night a Manchester City spokesman said: 'It is not true to say that Dr Thaksin Shinawatra is trying to sell Manchester City, nor that he is looking for a buyer. Since he bought the club a number of potential investors from his wide network of business associates have spoken to Dr Thaksin about investing in the club. These discussions have been nothing more than exploratory.'

Source: The Nation

Thought: :lach:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Its in the UK papers too. :thumb:

:dance:

:lach:
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

:lach: :party: :clap:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Being a Citeh fan ..... about as bad as it gets ? just as things are finally looking up the rug gets pulled.
Everton and Spurs fans have suffered living in the shadows of their neighbours, but doesn't compare.
He cant be owner if he's found guilty in his case can he, theres strict Prem league rules about stuff like that. He's probably trying to get good price while he can.
Poor old City he he

SJ
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

A report in The Nation comments that he could be forced to divest if convicted of tax evasion/fraud/bribery... you name it.
Apparently such dodgy activities are frowned upon by the FA and its squeaky-clean directors who would never allow such shenanigans (unless you're named Venables, Clough or the guy who used to own Chelski).
Maybe he could sell ManCity to the maid for 10 quid. :idea:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Thaksin thinks of a Man City sale

Post by dtaai-maai »

buksida wrote: The club are close to sealing the ฃ7.5m sale of Croatia defender Vedran Corluka to Tottenham
That would be 7.5 million baht then, right? :twisted:
This is the way
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

As he's going to the mighty Spurs its probably 7.5M Zimbabwaen :cry:

SJ