TV series worth watching/downloading

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
buksida

Re: TV series worth watching/downloading

Post by buksida »

Quite likely, apparently some of it was shot in Hua Hin: https://royalcoastreview.com/2021/01/th ... n-hua-hin/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

DSB wrote:
buksida wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:29 am Likewise, didn't recognize anything from HH, but am enjoying the series for the Thailand nostalgia though it was a little before my time.
I reckon that the beach hotel in episode 2 was in Hua Hin, I thought that it was Kaew Takieb in the background.
And Goa/New Zealand could easily have been Hua Hin beaches and the lake scenes at Pranburi

Very good series, thought Billy Howle (Knippenberg) was outstanding!

Good to see old Captain Darling back on our screens too :-) hope he gets a few more gigs, think he would make a tremendous on screen Badass at some point

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Anyone else enjoying watch Big Eric Cantona in this new French drama on Netflix(Inhuman Resources) ?

I'm about 2.5 episodes in and I'm certainly happy to keep on watching, the script is a bit different

He's doing a good job to be fair...

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Oh and I thought Undercover(Netflix) was good.... 8/10

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I see The Handmaid's Tale was recommended back in 2017 on this thread.
buksida wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:40 pm The Handmaid's Tale
Running now on UK channel 4 I think, but you can access the whole series on Kodi or torrents.

I remember reading this for my English Lit A-level, a powerful book set in a dystopian future where a woman lives as a concubine under a religious right wing regime.

The series is well made: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5834204/
I'm currently binge watching, and am part way through season 2. I'm enjoying it a lot, and thought worth a 2021 mention.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Big Boy wrote:I see The Handmaid's Tale was recommended back in 2017 on this thread.
buksida wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:40 pm The Handmaid's Tale
Running now on UK channel 4 I think, but you can access the whole series on Kodi or torrents.

I remember reading this for my English Lit A-level, a powerful book set in a dystopian future where a woman lives as a concubine under a religious right wing regime.

The series is well made: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5834204/
I'm currently binge watching, and am part way through season 2. I'm enjoying it a lot, and thought worth a 2021 mention.
I couldn't get into this after 1 episode ... I'll try again

I've started Bloodline....

handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

"I couldn't get into this after 1 episode ... I'll try again"

You may prefer the book. That way you're not emotionally manipulated by the music & set up for what's coming next.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Snowpiercer season 2 has just started on Netflix and the usual spots.

To get my sci-fi fix I've started watching The Expanse. It takes a while to get into it as there is a lot going on but the CGI is good and there are five seasons to wade through.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

The Brokenwood Mysteries

Not a Netflix super series, not an international award winner - but if you like the UK TV Series 'Death in Paradise' you would like this NZ series. Only 4 episodes per season, 6 seasons so far. Each episode is 90 minutes.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3640276/
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Channel 4 A secret safari into the world.
About a safari park in Kenya. Narrated by the Kenyan rangers. Well worth watching.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

The Last Kingdom (Netflix)

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but it's worth a reminder. I've resumed watching this series after a lengthy break. I can vouch for its authenticity as I was a Saxon warrior in a previous life...
I'm enjoying it, more I think because I read the books first: The Saxon Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell. Cornwell wrote the Sharpe's Rifles series and has written numerous other historical and Arthurian novels. One of my favourite authors.
This is the way
buksida

Post by buksida »

Indeed, Cornwell's Arthurian trilogies are superb. As usual, the books beat the TV by a long shot!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:10 pm The Last Kingdom (Netflix)
Finished season 4 last night, looking forward to season 5 later this year. It definitely captures the flavour and tone of the books, though obviously not in quite the same detail.

One thing for which I'm grateful is that the show does not try to convince us that Britain had an ethnically diverse population (other than Britons, Saxons and Vikings!) in the 9th century (unlike shows like Bridgerton, whose politically correct main thrust seems to be that half of Georgian London's high society was black).

One thing I found slightly irritating is that by season 4, the main character Uhtred is about 50 in the books and getting a tad creaky, yet in the TV series he's still exactly the same vigorous, athletic sex god he was some 20-30 years earlier*. Call me picky...

(*Not everyone can be as fortunate as pharvey and me...)
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

PENNYWORTH

The back story of Alfred, Batman's butler (definitely the Michael Caine version - Jack Bannon as Alfred even sounds like Caine) after he leaves the SAS. It's set in a quasi-dystopian London in the 1960s (-ish, like Gotham City there's an element of dark fantasy). I'm only on episode 4 (of 10 in season 1, season 2 is currently screening), but I'm enjoying it very much.

The pilot is available on Amazon Prime, I downloaded the rest from eztv.
This is the way
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Season 1 and the first 3 episodes of season 2 are also on HDPrime. I'll give it a go. Sounds interesting.