relocation advice

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

relocation advice

Post by margaretcarnes »

Sorry HHF, yes I meant the indoor oven/hob/grill type cooker as Dtaai Maai has explained.
Agreed, they should convert to bottle gas easily. In fact many are used in the UK with bottle gas, in caravans for example. Whether it's worth shipping an oven over is the question! I would also say no, not worth it. Despite the comparative inefficiency of ovens available in LOS (as pointed out often due to poor door seals) you have to consider what you want to cook.
Another drawback of UK cookers is they rarely have a proper wok burner stand. The hobs are made for flat base pans, not traditional woks. Get a Thai hob unit - no problem. The gas bottles will fit underneath.
Plus I'd consider a table top halogen oven for other stuff.
Not sure how they cope with Yorkshire Pudds though.... :?
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

There are various imported domestic appliances available in Thailand, Smeg and Electrolux to name just two.

If you have the option when the house is being built, then the I consider the best option is a built in, fan forced electric oven, and a separate gas hob with a decent extraction fan hood over it.

All of these products are available, ranging from cheap Chinese crap, to imported quality European products, but you may have to go to Bangkok to find them.

Not sure how "Thai ovens" can have poor door seals, as I have yet to see a Thai house with an oven, as they just do not cook that way.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

If you have the option when the house is being built, then the I consider the best option is a built in, fan forced electric oven, and a separate gas hob with a decent extraction fan hood over it.
That's exactly what we did; built in microwave, oven, and dishwasher from Siemens and hob/cooktop by Smeg and brushed stainless professional style exhaust hood... best way to go imo.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Nereus wrote:Not sure how "Thai ovens" can have poor door seals, as I have yet to see a Thai house with an oven, as they just do not cook that way.
So picky, Nereus! :D Mags said "ovens availale in LOS". We all know how most Thai food is prepared. :cheers:
This is the way
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

:D
My little wife has a real thing about bottled gas in the house so
when we had our house built there, I drew up a plan for builders to bury 4 x 1 1/2 inch UPVC pipes under the steel mesh concrete floor before it was laid, (2 for each hob as we have 2 hobs in the kitchen) in each pipe he installed flexible gas pipe and this was eventually connected to two gas bottles, situated outside the kitchen wall, in a custom made box to protect them from the Sun.
The second pipe to each hob was a spare in case anything went wrong with the one in use, it meant we did not have to dig up the floor to fix it.

The SS hobs were Italian and one was a 4 burner, whilst the other was a 5 burner with the centre burner being a double flame wok burner and goes like a jet engine. :twisted:

IMHO always go for burners that are made from SS as the cheap alloy burners don't last and are a real bast**d to clean. :(

Above each hob is a SS double fan extractor which vents to the outside via concealed ducting in the roof space.

Try not to go for the charcoal filter type as they are not as good and will need replacing if you do a lot of Wok work.

As the wife does a lot of cake and pastry baking and had tried the Thai gas ovens and found them to be crap, so we also bought two Smeg electric fan ovens, as they are much better than gas for this sort of baking (bottled gas gives off a hell of a lot of water as it burns) and the finished food is much more consistant in quality. :D

Before anyone asks, the reason we had two hob's was that my wife is vertically challenged and I am not, so we had worktops built at two different heights, so we can both cook without getting backache. :wink:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
JAJA

Post by JAJA »

Use a professioanl firm of international removalists. they can give you the best advice on customs duty and can deliver door to door. Perhaps you might pay a few more pennies/cents but save pounds/dollars
g.tott

Post by g.tott »

i agree it might cost a bit more but it will be worth it
LAnative
Suspended
Suspended

relocation advice

Post by LAnative »

Thanx to all who responded with advice. Some of it I already knew. Special thanx to Nereus who answered the question I had about where to ship personals to. I don't plan on bringing any furniture so will only bring clothes, music and 30 yrs of travel photos. Will American T.V.'s work there?
Also "slow internet connections" mentioned on the HHAD banner. How slow? I hope not 56K dialup speeds.
I will be visiting in Oct. to see what HH is like during monsoon. Perhaps I will run into someone on this blog.
Cheers
LAnative (formerly of Redondo, Hermosa, Culver City and W.LA, currently in Playa del Rey)
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: relocation advice

Post by Nereus »

LAnative wrote:Thanx to all who responded with advice. Some of it I already knew. Special thanx to Nereus who answered the question I had about where to ship personals to. I don't plan on bringing any furniture so will only bring clothes, music and 30 yrs of travel photos. Will American T.V.'s work there?
Also "slow internet connections" mentioned on the HHAD banner. How slow? I hope not 56K dialup speeds.
I will be visiting in Oct. to see what HH is like during monsoon. Perhaps I will run into someone on this blog.
Cheers
LAnative (formerly of Redondo, Hermosa, Culver City and W.LA, currently in Playa del Rey)
I hope all that moving keeps you one step ahead of her. :mrgreen:

No, your TV will not work, Thailand use PAL system, 220 Volts 50hz. :cheers:

Please do not ask about Internet speeds, it is a sore point with most people!
Last edited by Nereus on Tue May 26, 2009 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: relocation advice

Post by migrant »

LAnative wrote:Thanx to all who responded with advice. Some of it I already knew. Special thanx to Nereus who answered the question I had about where to ship personals to. I don't plan on bringing any furniture so will only bring clothes, music and 30 yrs of travel photos. Will American T.V.'s work there?
Cheers
We may be over there in Oct. Will post.

Currently in Brea, Orange County