Extending Two Month Tourist Visa

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

lomuamart wrote:You might get another 7-14 day extension to the Tourist Visa, after it's already been extended by 30 days. It's up to the imm officer. I'm afraid you won't get another 30 days.
Two alternatives to allow you to stay here for 4-5 months is to simply do 30 day border runs after the tourist visa has expired. You can now remain in the country for 90 days in 180 on these visa exemptions. That way you could be here for close on 6 months.
Also, think about getting a double-entry TV. Once the first entry and extension has expired, cross a border and get another 60 days on reentry. This again can be extended for 30 days. So, you've got up to approx 6 months again.
One thing to check is that the Embassy/consulate in Greece will give you a double-entry if you're English. A lot of missions now are not giving more than one entry, other than to their own nationals. A simple telephone call should suffice and even if they won't, you've got the alternative of doing 3 border runs. Either way, staying here for up to 6 months should be easy.
Open your eyes, Guess. Also the post by Onlyme. A tourist visa can be extended by 30 days at any imm office within Thailand for 1,900B. Whether it can then be extended for a second time is debatable and up to the imm officer, as has been said. My understanding is that on the second extension, the maximum you'll get is 7-14 days (if you're lucky). Onlyme has stated maybe 10 days and I'm not going to dispute that. It's really a lottery.
You are quite correct that an extension for a year based on "marriage" has no connection with a Tourist Visa. (Don't know why I mentioned that, BTW).
As for your "I don't believe it until I see it" posturing is concerned, show me anyone who has not managed to extend a Tourist Visa by 30 days. Onlyme has stated that a friend of his/hers got one the other day in HH.
It's not a god-given right, but I've never heard of anyone being turned down - unless you know differently of course?
Nisakiman
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Nisakiman »

It rather looks as if the only thing everyone agrees on is that it's possible to get a 30 day extension on a 60 day tourist visa. This equates to getting a 30 day tourist visa on arrival, and doing two visa runs, which in my case would be much cheaper, as to get a 60 day tourist visa would mean flying to Athens, staying in a hotel, (I doubt they would do the visa immediately, though I may be wrong), and flying back here. Total cost approaching € 500.... :shock: I can nearly get a return flight to BKK for that!

All I would like to do is to get a fourth month... I don't suppose anyone has scammed a fourth 30 day tourist visa, have they? Is it totally out of the question since last October? I have read so many conflicting opinions on the visa situation since things changed. And I really don't have money to burn - my ex has already done that for me....

How are all the guys managing who used to do the monthly visa run? Have they all been deported? I've met loads of people who had bars etc. who used to do that. How have they coped with the new regime? Not really relevant to my question, but I do wonder...

Cheers :cheers:
κάνω ό,τι μου καπνίσει
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Afraid you're not going to get 4 back-to-back 30 day visa exemptions. On your first and subsequent entries on these, imm will mark the stamps 1/2/3 and on the third entry you'll be told no more. The rule is 90 days in the country on these stamps in any 180 day period and it is being enforced. Imm (at least in Ranong when I was there in January hate it. It's causing them so much work).
If there isn't a consulate nearer to you than Athens, why don't you consider getting a proper visa whilst here. Arrive on 30 day visa exemption and then whizz down to Penang and get a single-entry Tourist visa, that'll give you an extra 90 days, with one 30 day extension made in Thailand. It shouldn't be too expensive - certainly cheaper then going to Athens. That's perfectly OK.
I'm not sure what others are doing, but I would imagine that those who were here long-term on 30 day stamps are now having to get TVs. It dosn't appear that there's any limit on how many of these you can get back-to-back - although only time will tell.
I was lucky and was actually back in the UK when the visa situation changed last year. Was going to do it anyway, but got a multi-entry Non O and as I'm married to a Thai, I can extend that for a year, indefinitely here now, as long as I meet the financial requiements and I'm still married.
PS, if you come on a 30 day visas exemption, make sure you've got a return ticket, or proof of onward travel, else you're likely to have problems boarding your flight in Greece.
Nisakiman
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Nisakiman »

Now why didn't I think of that! Duh! Thanks Lomu, that is the obvious solution. I assume one can go to either Penang or Viengchang to get the 60 day TV? Yes, I have a return ticket, which of course I can change the return date on if it is necessary.
Cheers :cheers:
κάνω ό,τι μου καπνίσει
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Visa Extension

Post by Guess »

nico wrote:I thought this was being a bit cheeky but tried it anyway.
I had used the 15 months of my non imm o 12 month multiple entry visa,went to Ranong yesterday and over to Myanmar. On returning I wasn't expecting much but to my surprise I was granted a 30 day tourist stamp. I asked if that would be my last and the Immigration Officer told me I could have 2 more. Not such a bad day.
NIco,

Be careful. What I would guess what has happened here is that the guy has just picked up the wrong stamp. I have heard of this happening many times and had the reverse done to me. After your twelve month visa has expired and you make a border crossing your are only entitled to 30 days visa exemption. You can do that twice more (which ties in with what the guy told you) in the next 180 days.

The responsibility is yours to ensure that you have the correct stamp.

I know of one case where a guy had the same 90 day stamp issued on an expired Non-O visa and got a 20,000 Baht fine when he next attempted to leave the country.

The best thing to do is to check with local immigration and ask for some kind of note to be attached to your passport if they say it is OK.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

lomuamart wrote:[

Open your eyes, Guess. Also the post by Onlyme.
They would have to opened very wide and be able to see into the future. Onlyme's post came after mine.

The "only believe it when I see it policy" is based on years of listening to gossip and speculation even from those who should be informed. On October 8th last year my 3 month business visa expired and I went to get the 14 day extension that everybody including the company who were dealing with the upgrade of my company told me I could get. When I got there the officer referenced a manual entitled October 1st visa rule changes and discovered that only 7 days was possible. The intervention of the head man at Hua Hin could not change that and all I got was 7 days.

I appreciate that this is a different kind of visa and the rules are different. But still a stick to the philosophy that seeing is believing. However Onlyme knows what he is talking about so I believe him.

Anyway if you read the first two items at this site it will explain all but still leaves some ambiguities. What is clear though is that the 43 privileged countries listed can issue a single entry 3 month visa or a 6 month 2,3 or 4 entry visa. It is not clear whether or not this can be done at any of the 43 countries or if it has to be the passport holders country.

It also makes a statement that on the single entry the 60 days must be completed before the expiry date. That one is new to me.

Another interesting statement is that the 60 days can possibly be extended at the discretion of the immigration officer. As they are getting 1900 Baht for it I think it will always go in your favor unless someone pays more to deny it.

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/visas1.asp

CHECK IT OUT
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I cant be bothered.
Again, bullshit. take a look at this:
http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/2n ... p606EN.pdf
again.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Are you suggesting that the above link is in some way wrong? Guess?
Take a look.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Guess wrote:
nico wrote:I thought this was being a bit cheeky but tried it anyway.
I had used the 15 months of my non imm o 12 month multiple entry visa,went to Ranong yesterday and over to Myanmar. On returning I wasn't expecting much but to my surprise I was granted a 30 day tourist stamp. I asked if that would be my last and the Immigration Officer told me I could have 2 more. Not such a bad day.
NIco,

Be careful. What I would guess what has happened here is that the guy has just picked up the wrong stamp. I have heard of this happening many times and had the reverse done to me. After your twelve month visa has expired and you make a border crossing your are only entitled to 30 days visa exemption. You can do that twice more (which ties in with what the guy told you) in the next 180 days.

The responsibility is yours to ensure that you have the correct stamp.

I know of one case where a guy had the same 90 day stamp issued on an expired Non-O visa and got a 20,000 Baht fine when he next attempted to leave the country.

The best thing to do is to check with local immigration and ask for some kind of note to be attached to your passport if they say it is OK.
What happened to nico sounds exactly right to me. His existing non -imm visa had expired, so a trip over the border and back again gave him a 30 day stamp, which I think nico means is the visa exemption stamp when he says tourist stamp (as far as I know there is no tourist visa of 30 days, only the 30 day extension which you can get on the normal 60 day one inside Thailand). No error and no change of policy. I am interested to know what he was expecting to get, as 30 days is the minimum they can give, other than refusing you entry or allowing you the allotted time to get your things and clear off if you have had your 3 exemptions already, when you enter the country!
You are correct in saying that you should always check the stamp placed in your passport though - on one occasion at Don Muang when entering Thailand on a non imm visa I was given 30 days and not 90, which fortunately I spotted as I was walking away from the desk, and they corrected.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Wanderlust wrote:fortunately I spotted as I was walking away from the desk, and they corrected.
Yes I have heard that story few times and the reverse which is probably worse as people believe that they can stay for 90 days when inf act they should have got a 30 day visa extension.

Sorry to Nico & everybody for causing confusion but I read Nico's post as getting 90 day. (Sleeping pills cutting in).

Nevertheless Wanderlust and I are correct in that it would be normal to be given a 30 day visa exemption after a visa has expired. You then get on the 3 visa exemption stamps in every 6 months trail which combined with tourist visas cold probably let you stay in Thailand more or less permanently until some official spots it and another clause is written.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here's a good 'scratch your head' for you guys. A friend got a 90 day extension yesterday and insteasd of putting the date of June 3 (which I think is 90 days) they put June 16. So, what does he do? Risk an overstay or believe outbound immigration will see that immigration caused the error through no fault of the visa holder? Pete :cheers:
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

lomuamart wrote:Are you suggesting that the above link is in some way wrong? Guess?
Take a look.
I did take a look and I have seen it before but in the case of tourist visas, (7.3) which are what we are discussing here it only glosses over the subject and states that extensions can be given not totaling more than 90 days from entry. This could be interpreted in many ways and does not in any way stand up to scrutiny. Also it explicitly contradicts (or at least supersedes) what most of us believe and Onlyme has stated.

Another thing I must point out is that this post of your was time stamped at 7:23 this morning. The previous post with the URL was posted at 7:14 this morning. There were no post in between.

I was sound asleep at that time and was dozing off when I replied erroneously to Nico.

When you say "Are you suggesting that the above link is in some way wrong? Guess?" are you suggesting I contacted you by some method of subconscious telepathy after having the document presented to me in a dream.

If so I will change my sleeping medication forthwith. It is credible. Last week I accused the Pope of being a double agent and being on the payroll of Al Q'ueda and Rupert Murdoch.
Last edited by Guess on Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

Guess wrote:Last week I accused the Pope of being a double agent and being on the payroll of Al Q'ueda and Rupert Murdoch.
Isn't he?
Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Winkie wrote:
Isn't he?
You bet. I only tell the truth when I am asleep. Try email to these addresses and you will see the response is the same from all.

PopeBenedict@alqueda.org
PopeBenedict@newsinternational.com
PopeBenedict@vatvican.org

I would think he will be able to clarify the position with tourist visas in Thailand as he is a regular visitor.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

prcscct wrote:Here's a good 'scratch your head' for you guys. A friend got a 90 day extension yesterday and insteasd of putting the date of June 3 (which I think is 90 days) they put June 16. So, what does he do? Risk an overstay or believe outbound immigration will see that immigration caused the error through no fault of the visa holder? Pete :cheers:
Sorry to say, but I reckon your friend will be at fault if they try to remain here for the duration.
There may be room for negotiation, but I wouldn't bet on it - I've tried similar before on overstay and imm are not the most accommodating lot when they see a fine in front of their eyes.
As has been said, whether the entry stamp goes in your favour or not, it's "your" responsibility to check it and remedy the situation asap.
I've tried every excuse in the book. Naturally, "my bus was late/didn't come etc" is a bit dodgy, however I did go once to Soi Suan Phlu armed with doctors' certificates as to why I was 11 days (I think) overstay and the reason was confirmed by the imm doctor - I've still got the letter.
Negotiation? I tried it and forgot it. They got quite aggressive. "Pay the money, or shut up." Wasn't quite like that, but I had no option.