E-books and e-book readers

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
buksida

Re: E-books and e-book readers

Post by buksida »

I got 15 off it yesterday with the VPN. The Cixin Liu trilogy I was after, some Kim Stanley Robinson, and a few from dm's sci-fi list.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: The books and reading thread

Post by handdrummer »

Re: Kindle. I had a Kindle app on my computer and when I tried to download a book, I was told that Kindle downloads are not available in Thailand. Does this mean only via the internet on my computer and only available on a Kindle device?
buksida

Post by buksida »

handdrummer wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:13 am Re: Kindle. I had a Kindle app on my computer and when I tried to download a book, I was told that Kindle downloads are not available in Thailand. Does this mean only via the internet on my computer and only available on a Kindle device?
I don't use any apps - just go here and download whatever books you want in EPUB format. https://b-ok.cc/

Then use Calibre to transfer them to the Kindle - all free, all easy.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:25 am
handdrummer wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:13 am Re: Kindle. I had a Kindle app on my computer and when I tried to download a book, I was told that Kindle downloads are not available in Thailand. Does this mean only via the internet on my computer and only available on a Kindle device?
I don't use any apps - just go here and download whatever books you want in EPUB format. https://b-ok.cc/

Then use Calibre to transfer them to the Kindle.
The kindle app was on an older computer, my current computer doesn't have Kindle. Thank you though.
buksida

Post by buksida »

If you read what I wrote you'll notice you don't need any Kindle app (or Amazon dictating what you can and can't download) to get books for it.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Some kindle books are limited geographically due to copyright and/or licensing restrictions. Computer, tablet, phone, kindle device should all be the same. If not maybe raise a case with amazon, or use a VPN. Other than geolocation it may also depend on where you're registered as living, as opposed to actual location you're doing the download.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:29 am If you read what I wrote you'll notice you don't need any Kindle app (or Amazon dictating what you can and can't download) to get books for it.
Ok, i used the address ( or whatever it's called) that you gave me and it worked. I downloaded a couple of books to my computer.

That's a real treasure trove. I was amazed by what was available.

Thank you.
buksida

Post by buksida »

:thumb: If you register you get ten free books per day. If you have a VPN and change your IP address you can get another ten ...
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

handdrummer wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:00 pm
buksida wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:29 am If you read what I wrote you'll notice you don't need any Kindle app (or Amazon dictating what you can and can't download) to get books for it.
Ok, i used the address ( or whatever it's called) that you gave me and it worked. I downloaded a couple of books to my computer.

Thank you.
Yeah, I started using it too, when Buksida first mentioned it. I can’t believe how much is available. I don’t even use Kindle anymore. The downloaded books go right to my Books app on my iPad. It’s a great website.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote::thumb: If you register you get ten free books per day. If you have a VPN and change your IP address you can get another ten ...
I think 10 books a day will be enough for most people, in fact 10 books a month would probably satisfy the majority, unless you’re an ardent bookworm!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Jack_Batty wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:06 pm
handdrummer wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:00 pm

Thank you.
Yeah, I started using it too, when Buksida first mentioned it. I can’t believe how much is available. I don’t even use Kindle anymore. The downloaded books go right to my Books app on my iPad. It’s a great website.
Yup, many thanks Buksi! I'd not seen this before. Really is a little a treasure trove! Currently downloading me a load of Stephen King that I've not read yet.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

buksida wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:05 pm :thumb: If you register you get ten free books per day. If you have a VPN and change your IP address you can get another ten ...
Blimey, talk about speed reading!! :shock: :laugh: :laugh:
This is the way
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

As a small warning I downloaded this when Buksi first mentioned the site. I also wanted to download to Kindle and made a small donantion of $10. I was advised that this donation woud be OK for the next few weeks - about 3/4. i wanted unlimited downloads so now I just do the 5 daily maximum and that is more than enough.
re Stephen King, Pirate Bay have all his books also
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
buksida

Post by buksida »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:04 pm
buksida wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:05 pm :thumb: If you register you get ten free books per day. If you have a VPN and change your IP address you can get another ten ...
Blimey, talk about speed reading!! :shock: :laugh: :laugh:
I only actually read for about 45 mins a day before I go to bed. With anything on the internet that is free and too good to be true - I make the most of it and download as much as I can before they start asking for money!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Oh, I'm with you. I don't have enough books on calibre and the kindle to last me a lifetime, but certainly plenty for the next few years. I read threads like this and look at authors and books that catch my eye and then have a little downloading spree. I used to have a house full of books years ago, and part of me still misses that.

I don't see how z-library manages to get away with providing all these books legally, so I'm going to transfer it to my opera browser, which I use exclusively with the VPN function switched on.
This is the way