Euro 2020

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Re: Euro 2020

Post by Lost »

dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:12 am Poor use of subs today. Henderson was useless, Grealish should have come on after 60 minutes. And bringing Rashford and Sancho on just for the penalties worked a treat, didn't it...? :roll: :(
Missed your post. Bang on with all of that.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Oasis are renaming their 25th Anniversary album.

(What's The Story) No Penalty Glory :duck: :banghead:
download (3).jpg
download (3).jpg (13.48 KiB) Viewed 196 times
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:27 am
pharvey wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:04 am
Very harsh to lose on penalties, but there was a tad cocky penalty taker that missed........

I actually thought the keeper couldn't move before the penalty taker moved and also the penalty taker couldn't "dummy" or pause/stop his run - what's happened there then?
Huh? Not sure which penalty you're referring too but a lot of penalty takers now slow/stop their run up (ah...probably Rashford) to wait for the keeper to make the first move. Nothing 'cocky' about it.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Well... Very "Rash" Ford, yes - that would be him.......... hardly a slow, stop - more of a hop, skip without the triple jump - and yep, he's cocky, very cocky IMHO. As for waiting for the keeper to make the first move - well there inlies my question.... I thought the keeper had to wait to make his move rather than dance around like a mad giraffe before hand?

Honestly do feel for England - sad end to a home tournament.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I think the keeper can do pretty much what he likes (pull faces, yell insults, drop his shorts, etc.), as long as he has one foot on the line when the ball is kicked.
This is the way
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

To agree with you Pharvey I mean, yes - poor penalty - he should have just picked his spot and blasted it. I'm sure, in training, that's worked all day long for him.

On a positive note, I very nearly made the short journey to Wembley Way to join in with everyone. Glad I didn't. It sounds like mayhem there from reports.

Just stayed home with a bottle of shiraz and most likely angered the neighbours with my screaming and shouting. :D

Won't feel like total shit in the morning unlike half the country. :laugh:

:cheers:
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Anyways lads, gonna leave the internet, try bring my heart rate down and get some rest. :D

Italy deserved winners over the 120 minutes. At about the half hour mark they started to take control. World Cup next year. That one's definitely coming home this time. :laugh:

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:17 am On a positive note, I very nearly made the short journey to Wembley Way to join in with everyone. Glad I didn't. It sounds like mayhem there from reports.

Just stayed home with a bottle of shiraz and most likely angered the neighbours with my screaming and shouting. :D

Won't feel like total shit in the morning unlike half the country. :laugh:

Glad to hear it mate - commiserations on the loss, but I'm sure this team will be back. For me, you have a lot to be proud of :thumb:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:27 am World Cup next year. That one's definitely coming home this time. :laugh:

You never know, it may come this side of the bridge..... :wink:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

England’s biggest problem was that they peaked about 88 minutes too soon and it was an uphill struggle from then on. As for the penalties, I’m sure all players have their practiced technique, but Rashford was so focused on looking at the keeper and getting him to go the wrong way, he had his eye completely off the ball and f****d it up. As for Saka taking the last and most crucial penalty, it was asking a lot for such a young lad and that’s why the inevitable happened.

I can only agree with the comments about Southgate’s tactics - he’s done pretty well up until the final, but when it mattered most, he couldn’t get it quite right, so he’ll have to wait until at least next year before he becomes Sir Gareth!!
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

And now it starts....Oxygen thieves

Racist abuse of England players Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho & Bukayo Saka condemned by FA

The Football Association has condemned racist abuse aimed at England players Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka after Sunday's Euro 2020 final defeat by Italy.

All three players missed penalties in the 3-2 shootout loss and were targeted on social media after the game.

The FA said it was "appalled" by the abuse.

England's players have taken the knee before games at the Euros to highlight the fight against racial inequality.

Full story@ BBC Sport
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

sateeb wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:40 am And now it starts....Oxygen thieves

Racist abuse of England players Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho & Bukayo Saka condemned by FA

The Football Association has condemned racist abuse aimed at England players Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka after Sunday's Euro 2020 final defeat by Italy.

All three players missed penalties in the 3-2 shootout loss and were targeted on social media after the game.

The FA said it was "appalled" by the abuse.

England's players have taken the knee before games at the Euros to highlight the fight against racial inequality.

Full story@ BBC Sport
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57800431
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

And talking of mindless twats, there were also these “fans” causing problems
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57799271
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Very sad, but what do you expect...
news.png
news.png (48.88 KiB) Viewed 162 times
Oh, the "True English Football Supporters" :roll: :tosser: (sarcasm - I'm aware of the minority :wink: )..... Their cousins and associated inbreds will soon be destroying the streets of London through to Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham et al.. - FFS, just celebrate reaching the final - believe me, the Welsh and Scottish are both jealous and proud you pricks!!

Again "Lost" - glad you are not there and decided to "drink in"....

:cheers: :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:18 am And talking of mindless twats, there were also these “fans” causing problems
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57799271
I'm Welsh and it's a fecking embarrassment..... The frightening thing though, is that it always was going to be, win or lose. WHY?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just woken, and I think it's all been said already. I think all of the players put in the effort, which is all that I look for. Nobody really let the side down. Losing is a big part of football. Maybe Captain Harry and Sterling were falling down a little too easy, but that is my only real criticism of the players.

It was all down to Southgate's reluctance to bring on fresh legs with a couple of game changing subs when they were needed that was the difference. I guess after his own experiences, he always had one eye on bringing his 'penalty takers' on at the end. What an inspired move that was, not!!! Rashford and Sancho had been sat on their arses for a couple of hours, and it was their first touch of a football in that time. Then after his own penalty disaster, why put a young kid as anchorman?

I've never been a fan of Southgate, but believe he studies the game very well. IMHO he read this one totally wrong.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance: