The SUV Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
H2ODunc
Professional
Professional

Re: Buying a SUV?

Post by H2ODunc »

I have a Toyota Sportrider. A full seven seater. 2 X 4 / 4 X 4 with high and low box.It is also an auto with overdrive and it has a sports mode button which actually is quite effective. Loads of room and a nice ride as well. Had a suspension kit added to give it a bit more clearance as we tend to get a lot of flooding here on Samui.
All in all very happy with it.
I never forget a face but in your case I'll make an exception!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here is what the new CRV is likely to look like. Few details other than that, and that the interior will be a bit larger. Pete :cheers:
crv.jpg
crv.jpg (63.71 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
http://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/autopre ... -v-preview
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

...that the interior will be a bit larger.
That's good. I have the older model and a neighbor has the current body style which looks the same size from the outside but with a little bit different styling. My golf clubs will lay side to side in mine directly inside the rear door with no problem, but they will not fit in his without putting them in a diagonal position from corner to corner of the cargo area. I guess the body walls are thicker on the current model... :?
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The new facelift Chevy Captiva review from last month. Pete :cheers:
cc.jpg
cc.jpg (89.38 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
http://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/autorev ... family-suv
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

As I started this thread off, I thought I should provide an update on what I ended up buying - a Mitsubishi Pajero Sport. I choose the 2WD version simply because I cant see me needing 4WD very often. I added 17" wheels rather than the standard 16" and they threw in a reversing camera, tinted windows and 12 months insurance, and so far so good.

To answer a few of the questions raised a few weeks ago, the 2WD version comes with a 4 speed auto box (the 4WD has a 5 speed box) and the rear brakes are still drum, not discs, but they both use the same 2.5l engine which has plenty of power.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here is the 2012 face lifted Toyota Fortuner. Pete :cheers:
ft.jpg
ft.jpg (57.59 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
http://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/autorev ... -ambitions
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

csuv.jpg
csuv.jpg (38 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
New Chevy SUV preview

http://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/autopre ... uv-preview

Published: 11/11/2011 at 12:00 AM
Newspaper section: Life

Trailblazer PPV promises class-leading drivetrain, chassis and interior flexibility when it goes on sale next year

- Is this a potential rival for the Toyota Fortuner?

Yup, this Chevrolet Trailblazer is a mid-sized, seven-seat SUV built off the Colorado pickup to battle the Fortuner and Mitsubishi's Pajero Sport, both of which are based on the Hilux Vigo Champ and Triton workhorses.

Although the Trailblazer still has a concept moniker, Chevrolet concedes that it is very close to the production-ready model due to hit Thai showrooms early next year.

In a similar way to how Chevrolet previewed its latest Colorado pickup in a concept form, the Trailblazer that actually goes on sale will be unchanged except for toned down bumpers, wheels and side-view mirrors.

The Trailblazer showcar made its world debut yesterday afternoon at the Dubai motor show where Life was on hand to view it in the metal.

- The interior looks quite garish.

Yeah, and Chevrolet designers say that the cabin is virtually the same as that in the market-ready variant, except for the fancy gear lever and some aluminium panels.

Fascia design reflects that of Colorado pickup.

Note how the fascia has graduated by degrees from the Colorado, while the second- and third-row seats can fold flat to create a practical load bay.

Such versatility comes courtesy of know-how derived from the Zafira mini-MPV _ the pioneering Chevrolet model in Thailand rebadged from the Opel stable.

This gives the Trailblazer a distinct selling point over the Fortuner and the Pajero Sport. Also, expect range-topping Trailblazers to come equipped with TV screens, as seen here in the concept vehicle.

- Kewl! Will it ride like a pickup?

Here's another promise Chevrolet has made: Although the chassis-on-frame underpinnings allow for a go-anywhere attitude in the rough, the rear suspension is claimed to be of the coil/multi-link type which aides cruising refinement on sealed tarmac.

This aspect theoretically puts the Trailblazer, once again, ahead of the pack. Neither the Fortuner nor the Pajero Sport have fully independent rear suspension, while the Ford Everest and Isuzu MU-7 have stuck with the practically mediaeval leaf- spring setup.

Because of this, Chevrolet believes the Trailblazer will have class-leading road manners. The performance credentials are already promising as they come from the top-model Colorado: 180hp/470Nm 2.8-litre diesel-turbo and six-speed automatic.

- So it would appear that Chevrolet is serious about this SUV ...

Second and third row seats fold flat.

Yes, because the Americans pledged at a media briefing to build best-in-class vehicles from now on. Remember the old Trailblazers? They were merely boxy fridges on wheels that really never deserved a place in those Hollywood stunts.

- Will the Trailblazer replace the Captiva?

Chevrolet sees these two SUVs as overlapping each other, even though the Trailblazer is derived from a pickup and Captiva from a car platform.

One insider told Life that the next-generation Captiva could become smaller in size, possibly a five-seater to directly match the Honda CR-V and Mazda CX-5. That said, the Trailblazer and Captiva could co-exist in the future.

- But aren't their prices too similar?

That's another problem. You see, SUVs based on pickups have special tax treatment in Thailand; the rate is a mere 20%, regardless of engine size. Car-based SUVs, on the other hand, are liable for taxation in the usual range: between 30 and 50%, depending on how big their motors are.

So if you take Chevrolet's current product scenario into consideration, the Trailblazer will cost basically the same as _ or even slightly less than _ the Captiva, in the 1-1.5 million baht range.

- How will Chevrolet protect sales of today's seven-seat Captiva in the short run?

Sources say the Captiva will be made as luxurious as possible to appeal to buyers who don't want to be associated with pickups.

But we seriously doubt that a bigger, more stylish SUV _ for which the asking price is no higher _ will be overlooked by the average SUV fan in Thailand. It appears the Captiva is all set to be trail-blazed!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

New Ford Escape coming in totally different form to compete with the Honda CRV.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/autopre ... ord-escape

NOTE: Seems as if the BP has done something to prevent people from copying/saving their photos? Pete :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

.....and the new Honda CRV once again with more detail in the article this time. Pete :cheers:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/autopre ... -evolution
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

There's a couple of these on our estate (in China) - look good and very similar to the Honda CRV IMHO... Perhaps a bit prettier than our current Sante Fe, but I'll stick with the slighter bigger version on these roads and their drivers!!!

Honda CRV 2012
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (34.12 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
Hyundai ix35
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (31.09 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Hyundai are getting more popular in Europe, mainly due to the prices being so competitive. That ix35 starts at under E 20,000 in Germany which isn't bad for that class of vehicle.
http://www.hyundai.at/neuwagen/1543.php?leftmenu=9
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

STEVE G wrote:Hyundai are getting more popular in Europe, mainly due to the prices being so competitive. That ix35 starts at under E 20,000 in Germany which isn't bad for that class of vehicle.
http://www.hyundai.at/neuwagen/1543.php?leftmenu=9
Their pricing has certainly been competitive, but where they've also been clever IMHO (certainly in Europe/UK from my understanding) is that they were just about the only car manufacturer offering a 5 year guarantee - certainly appears to have worked getting them a market share.

As mentioned we've got a Sante Fe here in China - takes a fair amount of abuse and is still going strong after 6 years without any ''major'' problems. Hyundai are doing a fair job in my book.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I see from that German website above that Hyundai also give a 12 year guarantee against rust which is pretty generous as well.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

prcscct wrote:NOTE: Seems as if the BP has done something to prevent people from copying/saving their photos? Pete :cheers:
ford1.JPG
ford1.JPG (62.67 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
ford2.JPG
ford2.JPG (59.57 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thanks BB, must be my mouse getting ready to go belly up. Year 6 so I got my moneys worth with this one. Pete :cheers: