(Don't) Wear a Mask Debate

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
nil
Professional
Professional

Re: (Don't) Wear a Mask Debate

Post by nil »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:50 pm And if Thailand was serious, that is the way shopping malls should be run, Thrown out if you remove your mask :run:
Well seeing as no one in the open space food courts and restaurants are wearing masks, because it’s kind of difficult to eat with a bit of cloth covering your mouth. And the fact we are not all dropping down dead would suggest there really is not a problem.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Seating was very social distanced the last time I was there (about 3 weeks ago). Has the seating returned to Old Normal?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Here in Luxembourg, you have to wear a mask in a shopping mall. If you don't, the security guards will tell you to put one on or leave and if you don't comply with that, they'll call the police. There isn't much crime in Luxembourg, so the police will actually turn up and fine you on the spot.
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

Professor Carl Heneghan on masks

handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Wear a mask if you want to, Don't wear a mask if you don't want to. But---------stay away from me.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My wife is a COPD sufferer, and like lindosfan, wears a full face plastic mask when she does not feel able to wear a traditional mask. Today was such a day.

We were on our way back from Makro today when I stopped at a shop to stock up on cheese. En-route to the shop, my rear view camera decided to drop, so whilst I was re-affixing it, Mrs BB went ahead of me into the shop. I followed about 30 seconds behind her, and there was an almighty commotion going on in Thai. Some guy at the back of the shop was going absolutely bananas with his young cashier. Whilst I found it amusing, I felt sorry for the young girl, thinking if this arsehole spoke to me like that, he'd need a new cashier.

I grabbed a few packs of cheese, and walked to the checkout where the cashier handed my wife a face mask. I thought what a nice gesture/free gift. Mrs BB put it on, and I thought nothing of it. I paid and left.

It was only when I was reversing out of the car park that the penny dropped. I asked Mrs BB what the commotion was about. She said the guy was very unhappy about her not wearing a traditional mask, and made the cashier find her one. I asked if he asked why she wasn't wearing a mask, and she said no. Anybody going into his shop has to wear a mask.

So you can guess one customer who won't be going into that shop ever again. So it's back to Nanys cheese, which isn't so good, but he clearly doesn't want our business.

[Off topic, but....] I had a run in with the same guy on my previous visit. He'd put up a sign, "No shoes allowed." I said fair enough, I'll go where I can wear shoes. As I was leaving, he agreed to me wearing shoes. I deliberately wore slip ons today, but the sign had gone. I think the guy is on a power trip.

Points 51; Position 21
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ If it's where I think, the shoe requirement is for rainy days when the ground outside is wet.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

My wife also wears a full face visor, they are more comfortable, also her customers appreciate the they can see her smile.The advantage of a cloth mask is no-one can see you mouthing eff off.lol
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Here, the rule is always wear a mask, which can be supplemented by a full face visor, but not replaced by.

Despite her COPD, my wife strives to wear a mask if she can. Going off into a mega rant like that towards a customer, without asking if there was a legitimate reason was totally out of order. He is very lucky I was not in the shop when I realised the rant was aimed at my wife.

Points 51; Position 21
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

I have severe COPD and do not have to wear a mask, I wear it to give myself a bit of protection and avoid people who moan. You can print off you own exempt label to wear, however that can be misused. It seems hard that people with COPD in Thailand still have to wear masks.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

lindosfan1 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:46 pm I have severe COPD and do not have to wear a mask, I wear it to give myself a bit of protection and avoid people who moan. You can print off you own exempt label to wear, however that can be misused. It seems hard that people with COPD in Thailand still have to wear masks.
If you're exempt from wearing the standard face mask, do you still need to wear the full plastic face mask? Just following BB's comment above.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

lindosfan1 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:46 pm It seems hard that people with COPD in Thailand still have to wear masks.
When mask wearing became law, I was not aware of any exceptions in Thailand. However, common sense needs to prevail. As far as I know, the guy in the shop was technically correct, but Mrs BB was told by the hospital last Friday that she should not wear a mask.

Points 51; Position 21
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

pharvey wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:12 pm
lindosfan1 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:46 pm I have severe COPD and do not have to wear a mask, I wear it to give myself a bit of protection and avoid people who moan. You can print off you own exempt label to wear, however that can be misused. It seems hard that people with COPD in Thailand still have to wear masks.
If you're exempt from wearing the standard face mask, do you still need to wear the full plastic face mask? Just following BB's comment above.
I wear it for my own safety gives me a bit of protection. Also do not need to wear it outside unless crowdwd and because I wear glasses, my glasses do not steam up.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This is surely going to become one of those things where you'll need to walk around with a visible sticker to avoid getting ridiculed and rocks thrown at you, similar to handicap parking placards.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:26 pm
lindosfan1 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:46 pm It seems hard that people with COPD in Thailand still have to wear masks.
When mask wearing became law, I was not aware of any exceptions in Thailand. However, common sense needs to prevail. As far as I know, the guy in the shop was technically correct, but Mrs BB was told by the hospital last Friday that she should not wear a mask.
"Common sense." Oh, oh, you should know better than to apply that phrase in Thailand. What kind of Bolshevik are you? :guns: