The Recommended Movies Thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

prcscct wrote:
BaaBaa. wrote:
Super Joe wrote:The Bangkok Dangerous review I read sounded good, will be interested in locations, as was filmed in Bangkok.
I can remember parts of it were being filmed in Cowboy.
I wonder if the DVD sold in Bangkok will have many scenes blotched out with the sensor's eraser, or totally cut? Maybe the best bet is to bring it in from elsewhere. Pete :cheers:
Do you mean the Copy of the Nicholas Cage version or the Original Thai Version?

Neither will be edited, both will be as seen in the Cinema.

Or am I missing something?

:cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

BaaBaa. wrote:
prcscct wrote:
BaaBaa. wrote: I can remember parts of it were being filmed in Cowboy.
I wonder if the DVD sold in Bangkok will have many scenes blotched out with the sensor's eraser, or totally cut? Maybe the best bet is to bring it in from elsewhere. Pete :cheers:
Do you mean the Copy of the Nicholas Cage version or the Original Thai Version?

Neither will be edited, both will be as seen in the Cinema.

Or am I missing something?:cheers:
The Nicholas Cage new version. Guaranteed BaaBaa that what is released here will have any and all smoking/drinking/sex edited out, as well as anything else the sensors deem unbecoming to the Kingdom. The DVD, eventually the same. I thought the DVD was already out from the the above posts, my error. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

The Versions the lads sell in Bars or on the Markets are never edited.

They are pirates of the Western Cinema release.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

BaaBaa. wrote:The Versions the lads sell in Bars or on the Markets are never edited.

They are pirates of the Western Cinema release.
OK, kowjai krup. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

The TV and Cinema versions are Pete, the copy DVD as BaaBaa says are not.
Annoying as hell watching a movie and half of someones face is blurred out because of a cigarette. Especialy if it's one of my favourites like Leonardo DiCaprio, errr errr I mean Angelina Jolie.

SJ
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

The colour of the number 9 on the Cover gives an idea of the Quality of the Copy by the way.

Red is a brand new release, usually poor.
Next is Blue which is luck of the draw really, can sometimes be OK.
Then Gold is usually of a fairly decent quality.

It can sometimes be just a week or two for them to go from Red to Gold quality.

Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

That's a new one on me, just had a look I've got some gold 9's and the others no number but an egg shape red with Thai writing!?

SJ
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Super Joe wrote:That's a new one on me, just had a look I've got some gold 9's and the others no number but an egg shape red with Thai writing!?
Yeah, not sure on the little shaped one.

One of the lads who's in and out of the bars told me about the 9, he lets me swap if Im not happy with a DVD anyway so he will tell me upfront if he knows they're crap quality.

Look for something brand new, like Bangkok Dangerous, and I'll bet the 9 aint Gold yet.

BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Bangok Dangerous is getting bad reviews.
http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/bangkok_dangerous/
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

BaaBaa. wrote:Bangok Dangerous is getting bad reviews.
http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/bangkok_dangerous/
Saw it last night. We liked it, but that doesn't mean the critics do!

It was different, and I gotta admit part of the enjoyment was seeing Thailand scenes.
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

I saw this film last night. It wasn't too bad, but living in Thailand there were a few mistakes. It made me laugh when Cage said to a Thai man ''you get 4000 bht a day. You must be here on time, not on time you get no money''
Ha ha ha thats no money for him then... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
www.35mmview.com
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

As I said above, I spend a lot of time back at the castle watching films, most of which I drop via rapidshare....so I'll start adding reviews from now on.

Ok

MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN
Do NOT watch this with kids about....its a proper splatter fest with state of the art CGI effects. Great film adaptation of a Clive Barker horror story. A photographer seeking new material accidentally photographs a girl in a subway who goes missing. He starts to spend more time down there, eventually tracking a tall menacing businessman with a big black bag. Eventually he is drawn further and further in, sacrificing in the way all his normal life. Vinnie Jones is the bad guy serial killer who plays to his usual meanacing strengths. Excellent film that keeps you gripped, with a nice rondo style ending. Very film noir in places. I liked it but not one for kids at all.

REC
again a horror film, this time Spanish. See this version...Ive seen rushes of the American remake ad it looks like its gonna suck.
Sort of a Blair Witch type thing in that the film follows a late night TV documentary crew who are filming a night with a fire crew. The crew are called out to an incident at a block of flats and what starts as a normal rescue job turns nasty and sinister very quick. Filmed as though the documentary crew are filming it (hence the nod to BW). Some real jump out of your seats moments, pretty good acting, and effective effects.

The LOVE GURU
Mike Myers takes his Austin Powers character and gives it an asian spin. Mike plays a washed up Californian/Indian guru who is employed by a Ice Hockey coach to sort out their star strikers marital problems. Great feelgood comedy and the only one that you will see which relies on two elephants humping as a plot arc. Some cool Indianised versions of rock classics as well. If you like Mike/Austin you will like this one....if not then dont bother.

RIGHTEOUS KILL
Two names: DeNiro & Pacino....need I say more? Cop drama in a modern film noir style. Twisty turny plotline involving two cops on the verge of retirement being drawn back into a crime case they thought they had closed years before. Great acting and chemistry between the two big boys and some nice plot twists. Definitely a watcher.

SALTON SEA
Val Kilmer in a revenge film noir crime drama playing a sax player with a bone to pick with some ex colleagues who stitched him up and killed his lass. Told partly in flashbacks it reminded me somewhat of the later MOMENTO, although not as fractured. Good film.

I also watched a few Japanese and Korean films, although as they are sort of limited audience films I doubt its worth sticking reviews up.

Hope you like the recommendations.

Babylon AD later with some war films I think

Chin Chin chaps

"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

ok .... two more that will be doing the local DVD seller rounds

BABYLON AD
Vin Diesel stars in a sort of sci fi action slam banger, so back to his XXX style of film. Plot involves him acting as a courier for two women, one of which is carrying some sort of "weapon". Vin plays a disillusioned and washed up mercenary who just wants to go home.

Special effects are good, and the plot was good before the editing cut out some obvious "talky" bits, as it gets a wee bit splintered in parts and there are some character background bits that seem to have hot the cutting room floor. Mind you, as Vin mumbles and mutters most of his narrative dialogue so badly you need subtitles to tell what hes saying thats probably no big loss.

The ending is a bit mad, and again doesnt seem to meld easily with the run-up, and leaves several plot arcs hanging...

All in all a good mindless bang boom film but could have been cut better.

DEATH RACE
Jason Stratham in a sort of remake of Death Race 2000. Actually its more of a homage as it shares little with the original.

Jason plays an ex race driver who is framed and lands in a max security prison where the only way out is to take part on a gladitorial combat race using souped up cars armed with guns, rockets, napalm and smoke..... and thats about as far as the plot goes.

Its got a slating from the critics but I liked it....then again I was expecting a turbo driven adrenaline shooting match....and thats what the film is. Great action and racing but sod all else. If you want a deep and meaningful car film rent Thelma and Louise.....I prefer blood and oil spattered mashups like this.

Big boys toys blood and napalm fun for kids like me.....2 hrs of boredom for anyone who expects plot.

All of the films I mention are now out on R5 copies on the net, so hopefully the lads in town will now be selling good quality copies instead of the godawful CAM copies.

buksida

Post by buksida »

Anyone that liked Lock Stock, Snatch and Layer Cake check out Guy Ritchie's latest - RocknRolla ... same genre, London gangster flick with a slammin' sound track:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1032755/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

OK....I just watched QUARANTINE....the USA remake of the excellent Spanish horror REC (See above).....I knew I shouldnt have....

Its basically a scene for scene remake of the original with added small scenes and a bit bigger effects budget. The problem is that they have tried to make this more claustrophobic by simply filming less in light and focus, and the whole thing is just a shaky-cam "Cloverfield" mess.

I hate when they sod up a great horror film by remaking it for a US audience too lazy to read subs...why the hell they did this and just didnt overdub the original is beyond me.

The heroine is just a scream queen in this version, whereas in the original she was more sassy and strong.....and there is a heavier accent on supposed mad science biological weapons than the original, which was unclear on whether it was man made problem or part occult. I guess being vague like that is a European and Eastern thing.

The most offensive bit of all though is in the closing credits, where two American plagiarists are credited with the screenplay (wow that must have been hard boys....just take the original and translate the script and direction notes.....with less light and more shaky cam)...and then they say "Based on REC by ..." Sodding cheek.

Terrible.

..watch the original...its 100% better. :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

copies available round town will be at best a TS copy...which is slightly better than a CAM version....but to tell you the truth it wont matter as the whole film is, as I say, now a badly shot mess.