The Pick-Up Truck Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Which Pick-Up Truck?

Post by lindosfan1 »

I had a mitsubishi it was faultless, I miss that truck.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

As I've said, I was disappointed when I discovered a Mitsubishi was too small for me (that is my problem, and few people are as big). If it had been a little bigger, I'd probably be driving one now.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

lindosfan1 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:39 pm I had a mitsubishi it was faultless, I miss that truck.
I have the same feeling with Toyota. When I first worked in Thailand (Rayong) 25 odd years ago, we were given the use of a Toyota Hilux for a little over a year and did we try our very best to kill it! We didn't go as far as Top Gear, but the loads it carried, the site "terrain" it was driven through and the general beating it was given would have bested many a vehicle - this thing just kept on going. I wouldn't be surprised if it was still pottering around! :thumb:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:03 pm As I've said, I was disappointed when I discovered a Mitsubishi was too small for me (that is my problem, and few people are as big). If it had been a little bigger, I'd probably be driving one now.
I found very little difference with the internal size between them all, it's pretty much standardized now. With some, you definitely knew you were in a pickup, whereas others felt and drove more like a saloon.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote:
Big Boy wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:03 pm As I've said, I was disappointed when I discovered a Mitsubishi was too small for me (that is my problem, and few people are as big). If it had been a little bigger, I'd probably be driving one now.
I found very little difference with the internal size between them all, it's pretty much standardized now. With some, you definitely knew you were in a pickup, whereas others felt and drove more like a saloon.
The Triton is now a different model to the one BB would have tried when he bought his Ranger and as you say, most of them are more car-like now than they were even 5 years ago!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Even so, I really struggle to get my head into the new Pajero, so I presume the Triton would be very similar. However, unless they've had sudden growth spurts, it will not affect buksi's family :D

Points 51; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:Even so, I really struggle to get my head into the new Pajero, so I presume the Triton would be very similar. However, unless they've had sudden growth spurts, it will not affect buksi's family :D
I must admit that getting in and out of a Pajero is difficult enough for me and I’m only 5’9” so a big guy like you would really struggle. However once inside it’s a really comfortable ride, so hopefully a Triton will be similar

buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:06 pm However, unless they've had sudden growth spurts, it will not affect buksi's family :D
Yep, Mrs B needs a step ladder to get into our current Toyota!

The state of the roads where we live warrants another high-rider though.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

There is of course only one sure way to find the right vehicle and that’s to take a number of test drives until (hopefully) you find the one you like. Although it’s not a pickup, friends of ours are stuck in Australia so I take their Captiva for a spin every 6-8 weeks. Although getting in and out is a lot easier than my Pajero, the Pajero wins hands down in driving comfort (IMO).

migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

It's the more expensive option but I have been real happy with my Toyota. Always having a dealership near is nice too.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

The Mitsu is extending its lead - a phone call to the Chumphon dealership resulted in an even bigger discount of 70k!

Its amazing that some manufacturers/dealerships will bend over backwards to get a sale, while others act as if they don't even want you in the showroom. As with everything here, shopping around is essential as there is zero consistency!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

An unexpected development for me last night in the pick-up suitability stakes. My Grab taxi was a brand new (red plate) Toyota pick-up. I thought great - loads of room. I opened the passenger door, adjusted the seat (which always winds taxi drivers up) and tried to get in. It must have taken a full minute to squeeze my head in, which is the same problem I have with the Mitsubishi.

I've been in plenty of Toyota pick-ups in the past with absolutely no problem, so either I'm getting bigger :oops: or something has changed substantially in the newer Toyota pick-ups.

Points 51; Position 21
buksida

Post by buksida »

I can catagorically tell you the Mistu is larger than the Toyota, both inside and out (I still cant park it without leaving the arse hanging out)!

I didn't find much difference sitting in the neighbour's Ranger. You must be the size of Dwayne Johnson mate, maybe a Humvee would be better!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I accept that I am the problem. In the UK I could drive a Ford Fiesta, but I really struggled to get into a Ford Scorpio.

It is usually down to the extra crap they put inside the cab, not the actual car frame.

Points 51; Position 21
stumorelli
Rookie
Rookie

Post by stumorelli »

Speaking as someone who has sold cars and pick-ups for the last 30 years for a living.

Avoid the Chevy at all costs- As soon as they pull out of Thailand the availability of spare parts will be a major issue so the warranty is not worth much.

Mitsubishi Triton- This is almost bulletproof, Great reliable engine and gearbox, Decent specifications in most models.
The only thing to watch is if you carry heavy loads ( and most people wont) because of the overhang behind the rear wheels it is quite easy to bend the chassis but as I say will only happen if very heavy load weighted more at the rear.

The Toyota and Isuzu are also both exceptional as far as reliability goes but have lower spec and higher price tags. Both hold there value well but if you do not plan on selling again in a couple of years there is no real benefit to this.

Ford Ranger - Looks Great, drives well and most models have a good spec although it is reflected in the price. They have lots of interior space hence the reason BB will be happy in his. My only concern would be the how the engine fairs after 100K -200K but maybe Big Boy can comment as you have owned for a decent time frame, I have driven Mitsubishi and Toyota with anything upto 500k on the clock and they were still running reasonably well.