Amazing Nature

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Amazing Nature

Post by Nereus »

The following video is worth watching:

Safeguarding a sanctuary

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-16/ ... /102291152

KEEP SCROLLING TO READ THE STORY
THIS STORY IS BEST EXPERIENCED WITH SOUND ON

Its sparkling turquoise waters and whale sharks are well known to many, but this World Heritage treasure extends to the land, too - and conservationists fear its future is on a knife’s edge.
......................................................................................
And the following happens in the same place:

Ningaloo whale sharks found to stop swimming to have parasites plucked by researchers

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-16/ ... /102348656

Marine scientists have formed a symbiotic relationship with whale sharks in the Ningaloo area in Western Australia as they exchange parasite removal for research data.

Usually remoras, otherwise known as suckerfish, would take care of parasitic crustaceans on whale sharks, but they can only do it for flat surfaces as opposed the mouth and leading edge of a shark's fins.

But researchers have found that some whale sharks will stop swimming and allow them to scrape copepods from tricky to clean areas like the lips with plastic knives.

A new paper from the University of Western Australia and published in the international journal Fishes suggests researchers could find out the same information about what the sharks eat from the copepod samples as they would from the more invasive process of taking pieces of skin.

Like 'the biggest cleaner fish'

The relationship between man and world's largest fish did not happen overnight at Ningaloo.

They may look slow in the water but it takes a lot of effort to keep up with the whale sharks, let alone get up to its head and start to collect copepods while holding your breath.

Dr Meekan and others have been collecting copepods from whale sharks for about 10 years, but it was only more recently some would stop for a cleaning.

"As it turns out the whale sharks actually don't mind the procedure at all," he said.

"In fact, some of them even slow down and stop and will actually let me get up the front of them and scrape lots of parasites off.

"I think that whale sharks probably look at me and go 'what on earth is that inelegant, poorly swimming thing', and when I start scraping the copepods off the lips, like, 'oh my god, it's the biggest cleaner fish I've ever seen'."
Mark Meekan scratches a whale shark's mouth to take parasites for sampling.(Supplied: Violeta J Brosig, Blue Media Exmouth)
Mark Meekan scratches a whale shark's mouth to take parasites for sampling.(Supplied: Violeta J Brosig, Blue Media Exmouth)
whale shark.jpg (61.81 KiB) Viewed 22643 times
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Crikey, those are some whoppers. Unfortunately though, this bear was killed in a hunt by the cnt Charlie Shutt.

I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Content warning: doesn't end well for the squirrel. :(

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Lost wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 7:36 pm Content warning: doesn't end well for the squirrel. :(
Tsk, spoiler alert!! :banghead:
This is the way
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:43 pm
Lost wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 7:36 pm Content warning: doesn't end well for the squirrel. :(
Tsk, spoiler alert!! :banghead:
Oof, you're on my case today DM. A dig in the movie thread, a dig in this one. It has been a while mind, maybe overdue. :laugh:

Thought I should add the warning just incase there are any sensitive souls here.

:cheers:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

^^It was a joke... I thought that would be obvious.
This is the way
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

dtaai-maai wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:52 am ^^It was a joke... I thought that would be obvious.
:wink:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Some babies are found under mushrooms!
...................................................................................................................
Giant bolete mushrooms pop up in a nature reserve near Naracoorte to the delight of locals

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-20/ ... /102355772

A cluster of giant mushrooms has popped up at Cockatoo Lake Recreation Reserve near Naracoorte in regional South Australia to the delight of residents.

The mushrooms are believed to be large boletes, Phlebopus marginatus, which are not commonly reported in regional South Australia.

Boletes are considered to be Australia's largest terrestrial mushroom and usually appear after soaking rains during autumn.

Padthaway resident Luke Leddy stumbled upon the spectacular mushrooms during a walk in a reserve.

"It is the first time I've seen the big ones. There are at least six there," Mr Leddy said.

While the giant fungi had been spotted in the south-east over the years, he said these mushrooms were amazing to see given their size.

"I didn't know much about them till I got home and googled them after seeing them. They can grow up to one metre wide," Mr Leddy said.
A baby has a little nap on a giant mushroom in a paddock on the Limestone Coast. (Supplied: Alan Smith)
A baby has a little nap on a giant mushroom in a paddock on the Limestone Coast. (Supplied: Alan Smith)
303057fd269312f273ffa17f914e5d12.jpg (232.07 KiB) Viewed 22537 times
more at link............................................
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Nereus wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:05 pm Giant bolete mushrooms pop up in a nature reserve near Naracoorte to the delight of locals
Certainly somewhat larger than the ones the LHG finds on her "Mushroom Foraging" exploits!!

There are some incredible facts and figures regarding Fungi.... For example: -

"Next time you purchase white button mushrooms at the grocery store, just remember, they may be cute and bite-size but they have a relative out west that occupies some 2,384 acres (965 hectares) of soil in Oregon's Blue Mountains. Put another way, this humongous fungus would encompass 1,665 football fields, or nearly four square miles (10 square kilometers) of turf.

The discovery of this giant Armillaria ostoyae in 1998 heralded a new record holder for the title of the world's largest known organism, believed by most to be the 110-foot- (33.5-meter-) long, 200-ton blue whale. Based on its current growth rate, the fungus is estimated to be 2,400 years old but could be as ancient as 8,650 years, which would earn it a place among the oldest living organisms as well."

Taken From: - https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... is-fungus/

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Certainly somewhat larger than the ones the LHG finds on her "Mushroom Foraging" exploits!!
Used to do a fair bit of mushroom foraging back in the day, meself. Guessing different kinda mushrooms. :wink:

Anyone seen the inside of a leatherback sea turtle's mouth before? Yowsers!

20230521_191733.jpg
20230521_191733.jpg (115.81 KiB) Viewed 22497 times
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Christ! :shock:

Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

New one for me!

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:30 am New one for me!
Never seen a shark's egg that shape that's for sure. Living literally 200m from the beach in South Wales as a kid, we used to see many eggs on the beach - mainly Catshark and Ray eggs, which are fairly plain compared to that one!!

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Not something you find on the beach everyday and would be a bit of a "WTF Moment" for me that's for sure....
Nature.jpg
Nature.jpg (91.97 KiB) Viewed 22405 times
A member of the "Abyssal Fish family" - An "Anglerfish" which was found on a beach in California.

"Abyssal fish are a group of species that have the ability to live in the abyssal zone. That is, a portion of the ocean deeper than 2,000m (6,600 feet). This zone is characterised for its extreme environmental conditions. This includes deep seas, extreme water temperatures between 0º-4ºC (32º-39ºF), high concentration of nutritional salts, as well as a major pressure increase and lack of oxygen.

The abyssal zone, or abyssopelagic zone, also makes up for more than 83% of the ocean and covers around 60% of the earth. And yet, it is the zone we know least about. At its depths, this zone remains in perpetual darkness.

The fish that have the correct characteristics to live in these extreme conditions are called abyssal fish. They have a series of characteristics that allow them to survive in such deep oceans. In the following section we will go through their characteristics."

Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

The fish getting sucked off doesn't seem to be enjoying it as much as he should. 🤣