A Covid-19 experience

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: A Covid-19 experience

Post by HHTel »

That really is stretching the meaning of 'a long shot'. The study underlines that it's only been carried out on one unusual case.
The 71-year-old woman had a type of leukemia, or cancer of the white blood cells, and so her immune system was weakened and less able to clear her body of the new coronavirus, known as SARS-CoV-2. Although researchers have suspected that people with weakened immune systems may shed the virus for longer than typical, there was little evidence of this happening, until now.

The findings contradict guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which say that immunocompromised people with COVID-19 are likely not infectious after 20 days.

The woman was likely contagious for so long because her body didn't mount a proper immune response. Indeed, the woman's blood samples did not appear to contain antibodies against the virus.

The authors note that their study involved only a single case
I doubt that even the Thais are reading this as a likely scenario. If so, they'll be increasing quarantine to 2 or 3 months.
This case is highly unusual and so rare that it's not even a statistic.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'm fuming but there's not much I can do about it.

My daughter, when asking about the blood test, has been told that the blood test is irrelevant. (I'm guessing that's because it showed her to be clear.) She was tested positive in the hotel and that's what they have to consider. Therefore, they'll add a week on to her quarantine and she'll probably remain in hospital for that time. They've told her that she'll probably be able to go home around the 20th. She was supposed to be 'freed' on the 14th!

Thai logic at it's worst!!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My daughter is still in hospital quarantine. She's been back in Thailand for more than 2 weeks now and no definitive date on her being released. Her and her 3 'companions' continue to be tested positive!
They won't discuss the results of a blood test. She's asked "Are you saying that I've been re-infected. A second infection?" There answer was no, but you are still infected from the original infection. "Does that mean that I've had Covid for more than 2 months now?" "Yes" is their response. It seems very strange that the only 4 in the hotel that had had Covid and recovered are deemed to have had the infection since they first caught it. It goes against what has been published:
How long the virus lasts in the body depends on the individual and the severity of the illness. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) advise that people who test positive for COVID-19 should isolate themselves for the following amount of time:

Severity Transmission period
No symptoms: 10 days after a positive test
Mild or moderate illness: 10 days after symptoms appear, and after 24 hours with no fever (without using medications)
Severe illness: Up to 20 days after symptoms appear

However, the virus may remain in the body at low levels for up to 3 months after diagnosis. This may mean some people get a second positive test result even after they recover, although this does not necessarily indicate the virus is still transmissible.

As of October 2020, there is no evidence that a person with mild or moderate symptoms can transmit SARS-CoV-2 more than 10 days after the first positive test result.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

You wont want to hear this HHTel, and it isn't meant to come across badly, but I feel very reassured with this very stringent belt and braces approach. You, your daughter and her family must be going through hell, but for the rest of us, its great to hear how vigilant they are being. Hopefully it won't be too much longer before you're all back together.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I can understand your viewpoint and I can't fault it. I was simply 'following the science'. If as studies have shown, traces of the virus can remain in your body for up to 3 months giving false positives, maybe there should be a further restriction on entering Thailand. "Not allowed entry within 3 months of having Covid". Cases found in quarantine will have their quarantine extended to 3 months. Expats returning to guarantee funds for up to 3 months in quarantine should the need arise.
I'm sure antibody tests would prove an outcome. She's asked for that but has been refused and they take no measure from the blood test. Doctors have told her that the tests taken in the US are not accurate!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Just to fill in the blanks. She was tested positive 1st September after already showing symptoms. That was 2 and a half months ago!
She had to show 2 negatives 2 weeks apart, which she did and even had a 3rd to make sure. Her husband who is in the US navy has had several negative tests since contracting it. The hospital told her that she will develop a fever shortly after being admitted. They've told her that they can't explain why she doesn't have a fever or any symptoms.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:05 am You wont want to hear this HHTel, and it isn't meant to come across badly, but I feel very reassured with this very stringent belt and braces approach.
It sounds more like an intransigent dependence on faulty and unreliable testing to me. I'd me more concerned that if there are so many false positives floating around, how many false negatives might there be? Of course, this "belt and braces" approach is only possible because there are so few cases to start with, all apparently coming from outside the country.
This is the way
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Now get this:

Spoken with my daughter today and here is what she's learned/been told. These 4 girls were all tested negative on arrival. One week into quarantine, they all tested positive. As far as she can ascertain, following that ONE positive result, all tests in the hospital came back negative.
"So why am I here?" she asks. "Because you tested positive in the hotel, you have to be quarantined for 2 weeks following that test." But for all 4 girls, it turns out to be just that one test, all carried out on the same day.
Anyway, the doctors have said she'll complete her 2 weeks quarantine following her positive test on the 19th (Thursday) at which time she can leave.

My take on this is that all 4 girls who had had Covid and recovered, produced a 'false positive'. That was taken as true without any further evidence.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

At last! My daughter has been told she can leave the hospital any time after 4am tomorrow (no, that's not a typo!) and she's advised to self isolate for one month.
While they agree that the traces of Covid still in her body are unlikely to be transmittable, they can't be 100% sure.
I'm sure that BB would agree that they are taking every precaution. However, it does go against the science as we know at the moment. I suppose being OTT is better than ignoring it altogether.
So her trip from the US has taken 3 weeks. After seeing her kids, I'm sure her next step will be to get some 'comfort' food.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Great news.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I trust you’ve got the champagne on ice!!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

We actually have champagne waiting. Seriously.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Well, it's 0320 hours at the moment. She's probably packed and sitting on her suitcase in the lobby! :D Happy day for her and your family. :thumb: :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Great news, congratulations to all of you!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

HHTel wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:12 am We actually have champagne waiting. Seriously.
For you after you give the kids back?