Buying a new smart TV

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Buying a new smart TV

Post by Dannie Boy »

I have a 55 inch TV both here and in the UK, however one of my sons has a 65 inch TV and those extra 10 inches make a huge difference to the view, so if you think you can get it on the wall, I’d recommend you go for one!!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

LOL. I started years ago with a 42" then a 55" followed by a 75" and currently an 86".
All still working in various rooms in the house.

There's now a 97" and 98" by LG and Samsung respectively. Too expensive for me just now.
buksida

Post by buksida »

A 65" will be like a cinema for us! Think I'll take the risk with the wall bracket (they're not expensive to replace if we need a bigger one).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:32 am LOL. I started years ago with a 42" then a 55" followed by a 75" and currently an 86".
All still working in various rooms in the house.

There's now a 97" and 98" by LG and Samsung respectively. Too expensive for me just now.
Does that reflect your diminishing eyesight as you’ve got older? :duck:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:37 am A 65" will be like a cinema for us! Think I'll take the risk with the wall bracket (they're not expensive to replace if we need a bigger one).
A good decision IMHO. I bought a 55", and now wish I'd gone for 65".
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Lol.
But being quite big, when viewing a 3d movie (ok only anaglyph but a reasonable effect) you are tempted to duck on occasion.

Actually, I don't find it overly big. There's still 2 and a half metres of wall each side of the TV in the lounge area.
I do have quite a large open plan ground floor.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

It's not just the wall space but the distance you can sit from the tv in order to see the whole screen without mounting your head on a swivel.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Gonna wait for 12.12, should get some decent discounts and free shipping.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

buksida wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:23 am Gonna wait for 12.12, should get some decent discounts and free shipping.
Would be interesting in comparison - I'm looking to replace/swap over my Samsung 49" with a slightly larger screen, zip wrong with the Samsung, simply changing the TV in the bedroom.... Anywho, I'm looking at 55" which would suit me fine - the price difference (in the UK) between a 55" and 65" is incredible! :shock:

We're talking £299 to £1,800 top to bottom.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Hisense 65A6EGTUK (65 Inch) 4K UHD Smart TV, with Dolby Vision HDR, DTS Virtual X, Youtube, Netflix, Disney +, Freeview Play and Alexa Built-in, Bluetooth and WiFi (2022 NEW) £531
Same type but Hisense 55A6EGTUK (55 Inch) £401

Both from Amazon
buksida

Post by buksida »

Difference is a couple of thousand baht here, even the 70" TV is about a grand more than the 65" (not Samsung's though).
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Just looked up the current price of my 86". Now 53,500 (around 10,000 cheaper than when I bought mine less than 2 years ago.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

handdrummer wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:29 am It's not just the wall space but the distance you can sit from the tv in order to see the whole screen without mounting your head on a swivel.
Exactly, in my small studio in Luxembourg, I can comfortably watch a 24 inch TV, if I had a 70 inch one, I would have to walk around to see what was happening down the other end of the screen!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Well my sofa is 6 metres away from the TV and even my 86 is viewed without having to move my head.
But you are perfectly right in that it depends how much space is between you and the TV.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Originally we had a landlady-supplied 32" tv, when it died she replaced it with a 55" tv, and we can't get far enough away from it to see the whole screen at once. But, for a couple of hours a week that I watch it, I can deal with it.