TV series worth watching/downloading

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: TV series worth downloading

Post by hhfarang »

MrRobot:

I just watched the first episode of this summer series on USA. I think it's going to be one of those very interesting programs that will especially appeal to the nerds among us but others should give it a chance to. Don't give up if the first 20 minutes seems weird. At least watch the entire first episode before you decide whether it's worth your time or not.

I think it will turn out to be one of the best of the summer releases.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

hhfarang wrote:At least watch the entire first episode before you decide whether it's worth your time or not.
+1

I expect Mr. Robot will be polarizing. You'll know where you stand by the end of the first episode.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"Texas Rising" by the History Channel.

I highly recommend this for anyone who likes historical American westerns. The History Channel made an actual historical western mini series that is not a documentary, but a very entertaining and educational series with some very good (and some not so good) TV and film stars. It is an excellent western series with lots of action, intrigue, and the required emotional content based on the history of the Texas Rangers which, to this day, is probably one of the most respected law enforcement agencies in the U.S.. I just completed the first season of 5 movie length episodes and am looking forward eagerly to the next season.

You can stream it on putlocker
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

hhfarang wrote:"Texas Rising" by the History Channel.

I highly recommend this for anyone who likes historical American westerns. The History Channel made an actual historical western mini series that is not a documentary, but a very entertaining and educational series with some very good (and some not so good) TV and film stars. It is an excellent western series with lots of action, intrigue, and the required emotional content based on the history of the Texas Rangers which, to this day, is probably one of the most respected law enforcement agencies in the U.S.. I just completed the first season of 5 movie length episodes and am looking forward eagerly to the next season.

You can stream it on putlocker
I agree!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Hannibal - the musical score

If you've seen the show, you already know this: Composer Brian Reitzell’s score for Hannibal lives half in music, half in sound design. You get a sense that it is heard by the characters, inside their imaginations, as it transports you directly into the action.

Podcast of an interview with the composer of the the Hannibal TV series score. It covers the 'why' and the 'how'. The 'why' is the effect on the viewer, the 'how' is the technical bits. He starts with the source components, some of which are 'you did WHAT?', and builds layers to the final product. The interviewer and show creator is on familiar ground. He has produced 172 podcast episodes that breaks down all sorts of design to explain how and why it works and why it's so bleeping cool. http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/all-in-your-head/
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

A new programme called Oddyssey on BBC2 started last Sunday, an American programme featuring US forces getting taken out by U.S. Funded terrorists. The first programme was a double bill lasting 1.1/2 hours but the next ones are down to 45 minutes. I enjoyed the programme and recommend it.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Agree - thoroughly enjoyed the 1st (and 2nd) episodes. Certainly well worth a watch.

Another series (up to episode 4 in the UK) well worth watching is "Sons of Liberty". Based on true stories, it follows the fight of Sam Adams and the American Colonies against the British in the 1700's........ what a waste of tea in Boston! :duck:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ Yes, both the missus and I have been watching it religiously. In fact we have the last episode of the first season on the DVR that we will probably watch tonight. Good, thought provoking show.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

^^... but cancelled after one season apparently. Anyway, I'm downloading it, so on your heads be it!! :laugh:
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

On a more mundane note, I downloaded a Canadian cop soap called Rookie Blue ages ago, but only started watching it recently.
Take it for what it is, and it's thoroughly enjoyable. Currently in series 6.
This is the way
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Another entertaining (at least the first episode was, may get boring later) one started here this week on network TV.

"Zoo" based on a James Patterson novel of the same name is the latest in a crowded line-up of apocalyptic series. This one has a new twist though, not zombies or a pandemic, but all the animals in the world, wild and domesticated, deciding it's time to end the reign of humans being the top of the food chain... has a few famous TV personalities and the filming looks pretty "A level" professionally.

Another entertaining apocalyptic series started it's second season on cable (TNT) here this week. While the script, actors, and filming may be in more of the B standard I found it entertaining enough to get through the first season still being interested enough to DVR the second. It's called "The Last Ship".
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

OK, this is a serious recommendation comparable to Breaking Bad. I didn't search and this is three years on so it may have been mentioned already but I highly, highly recommend "Graceland" after watching the first three episodes. It just started it's 3rd season so, as I missed it in Thailand, I decided to go back and watch it from the beginning on Netflix and it is a really, really, seriously good show.

If you liked shows like Breaking Bad, Southland, and The Wire, you will love Graceland.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ Maybe I was a little to anxious for another great series... After watching another couple of episodes I would lower my opinion of Graceland to the level of Hawaii 5-0 or one of the CSI series, still entertaining, but not as great as I thought originally. :(
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Dannie Boy wrote:A new programme called Oddyssey on BBC2 started last Sunday, an American programme featuring US forces getting taken out by U.S. Funded terrorists.
If you're searching US sites, it's called American Odyssey http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3551796/

IMDB Summary: Three families are torn apart when a stranded female soldier, a disillusioned corporate attorney and a disrespected political activist are pulled into the same shocking international military conspiracy.

No worries about getting hooked on it because NBC canceled the show.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"The Brink"... 3 episodes shown already of this new HBO star studded comedy. Download and watch at your earliest convenience. It's a great current geopolitical comedy.

Speaking of comedy, HBO also is currently showing a 1 hour totally ridiculously slapstick comedy called "7 Days In Hell" that is a parody of Wimbledon and professional tennis in general. It's Monty Python-esc comedy at it's best. Don't let the kids watch it!

(to GLC; best watched while :rasta: )