TV series worth watching/downloading

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: TV series worth downloading

Post by Homer »

From Dusk Til Dawn

An expanded version of the movie of the same name, which was written by Quentin Tarentino and co-directed* by Robert Rodriguez and Tarentino. The film's premise was thin: Two criminals and their hostages unknowingly seek temporary refuge in an establishment populated by vampires, with chaotic results.

A thin premise has never stopped Tarentino from filling it with compelling dialog and violence. The TV series fleshes out the story while staying true to the film and it's characters, then takes it farther into the supernatural. One can enjoy the series without having seen the film. Watching the series after seeing the film is like listening for the first time to the longer or live version of a song you only know from the 3 minute radio version.

Story is told non-linear, just like Tarentino does. The writers attempted to capture Tarentino's gift for dialog. They got close. I've seen it done worse or as well, but never better. Rodriguez executive produced the series with Tarentino's blessing.

Season 1 aired last year, season 2 started a month ago. Torrents at https://torrentz.me/search?q=from+dusk+til+dawn+2014

*A technicality in the Director's Guild rules prevented Tarentino from getting a co-director credit.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Thanks for that Homer :thumb:

I'd seen the first season (which I thoroughly enjoyed) and had assumed that was the end of it. Season 2 - GREAT NEWS!! :D :cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Intelligence

(Canadian - not the US show with the same name)

The head of the Organized Crime Unit in Vancouver fights high level drug smugglers and interferrence from the Canadian version of the CIA. Her second in command wants her job, is undermining her by helping Ottawa and the FBI. By the end of the first episode she's cooperating with a major drug dealer because if they don't, either one can go public with information that will destroy both of them. His organization also has major troubles. It's been favorably compared to 'The Wire', one of the best US crime dramas. It's damn good.

What isn't good is the free copies available. They're small, dark but watchable. This torrent has the best combo of quality, seeders and bandwidth: https://kat.cr/intelligence-cbc-seasons ... 35800.html I don't know 'nuthin about non-torrent sources.

Two seasons: 2005-2007.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Spotless

From IMDB "Set in London, SPOTLESS is the story of a troubled crime scene cleaner, Jean, whose tidy life is turned upside down when his outlaw brother Martin crash lands into his world, entangling them in the deadly dynamics of organized crime." A co-production of French and English companies.

It's funny and gruesome and satirical and dramatic amid broken family dynamics and infidelity. The outlaw brother has a room temperature IQ. For him, successful long term planning seems to be limited to waiting to finish peeing before he zips up.

One season of 10 episodes. Two torrent sources, one from airing in Britain a few months ago, the other from current run in the US. Get 'em while you can as there are few seeders.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

3 new series that I haven't seen much of, but look promising.

INTO THE BADLANDS
Post-apocalypse feudal set-up with some very good martial arts and Japanese-style sword play.

"The wars were so long ago nobody even remembers. Darkness and fear ruled until the time of the barons, seven men and women who forged order out of chaos. People flocked to them for protection. That protection became servitude. They banished guns and trained armies of lethal fighters they called Clippers. This world is built on blood. Nobody is innocent here. Welcome to the Badlands."

JEKYLL & HYDE
Set in a convincing 1930s London. "Son of Jekyll" storyline. Only seen 30 mins so far, looks okay.

THE FRANKENSTEIN CHRONICLES
Only seen the first episode, but with Sean Bean (looking a bit worn round the edges) leading the cast as the (river) police inspector (formerly of the 95th Rifles, for those who remember Sharpe!), it can't go far wrong!

I think this snippet from the Telegraph review sums it up neatly:
This gory drama was rather like a Frankenstein’s monster itself, constructed from stitched-together elements of Sharpe, Sherlock, Oliver Twist, Ripper Street and Penny Dreadful. However, it was bold, eerily effective and chillingly atmospheric. Bean’s always a gruffly engaging screen presence and the all-star supporting cast was strong.
This is the way
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Agent X

A network TV show that recently started it's first season based on the premise that the Vice President of the U.S. has a secret agent working only for her and known only to her for covert missions that need to be completed while giving the President full deniability.

I've seen 2 episodes and it seems to be pretty good (while the male lead's James Bond skills may a bit unbelievable) and is loaded with movie and TV stars including Sharon Stone in the female lead as the Vice President...

http://www.tv.com/shows/agent-x/
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

hhfarang wrote:Agent X

A network TV show that recently started it's first season based on the premise that the Vice President of the U.S. has a secret agent working only for her and known only to her for covert missions that need to be completed while giving the President full deniability.

I've seen 2 episodes and it seems to be pretty good (while the male lead's James Bond skills may a bit unbelievable) and is loaded with movie and TV stars including Sharon Stone in the female lead as the Vice President...

http://www.tv.com/shows/agent-x/
I've watched about 5 episodes and it's turning out to be a pretty good show along with Legends (offered on the same channel I think).

http://www.tv.com/shows/legends-2014/
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Starting Tuesday this coming week on BBC1, Luther is back in a two part mini series - no idea why it's only two episodes, but hopefully it will be as good as the previous series.
davefranco
Novice
Novice

Post by davefranco »

The Mindy Project and Outsources are my fav tv series but i have not download it because lack of storage. Planning to upgrade storage capacity.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Into the Badlands mentioned by DM above is really good IMO (if you like this kind of stuff). The gore and action is a cross between Kill Bill and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Sandman, if you're still reading, you'll love this one!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"Flesh and Bone" - an 8 episode mini series original by StarZ movie channel.

I'm usually into action or comedy, but I watched the first episode of this very dark drama about the on and off stage lives of professional ballet dancers and got drawn in. I ended up watching all 8 episodes in two days as I became mesmerized by the well written story and outstanding performances, both acting and dancing. I've never had any interest in ballet, but the performance in the final episode left me wanting to see more.

Could this be the cultural awakening of hhfarang? ... Nah, back to action and comedy, but I highly recommend this show for a brief foray into something outside of those genres.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

I too was drawn in by Flesh and Bone. Stories in the dance companies usually feature exaggerated characters, this show has 4 who are beyond that. They're mentally ill but functioning. They have little or no concept of personal boundaries. The direction builds suspense toward a scene you knows is coming. Once arrived, you know who will be violated, and yet you watch knowing it's gonna be 'ewwww...'.

The ballet is modern. The 2 scenes with ballerinas pole dancing are drop jawed erotic. They strip because they have daddy issues. Episodes 1 and 3 if you need a peek.

Show runner was a writer on Breaking Bad. She did some of their best episodes. Show is on Starz, so be prepared for implausible, unbelievable and straight faced over top - all of which makes for good entertainment.

Reviews are all over the place. I expect many gave it bad reviews because they couldn't stomach the reality that if your not a star and want to work in ballet in NYC you will submit. In this story it means being a sexual object and either not being able to say no, quit the job, or accepting it as part of the job.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Final season of Mythbusters is now airing. Apparently they saved some spectacular stuff for the end - probably to convince the network the show was worth one more season.

Billions has started. Haven't seen it yet, but the pedigree is good. Showtime produced it as they did Homeland, Dexter, Ran Donovan, Californiacation, Penny Dreadful, Weeds and more. Stars Damian Lewis (Brody in Homeland) and Paul Giamatti (that guy in everything).

Plot: US Attorney (Giamatti) pursues hedge fund manager (Lewis).
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

Making a Murderer
Filmed over a 10-year period, Making a Murderer is an unprecedented real-life thriller about Steven Avery, a DNA exoneree who, while in the midst of exposing corruption in local law enforcement, finds himself the prime suspect in a grisly new crime. Set in America's heartland, the series takes viewers inside a high-stakes criminal case where reputation is everything and things are never as they appear.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5189670/
I just finished the series on Netflix and it really sucks you in. If you have the time, give it a go. If you like true crime you will be hooked after the first episode. You can watch the first episode on YouTube.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

THE SHANNARA CHRONICLES

One for fantasy afficionados, based on the Shannara books by Terry Brooks.
The pilot episode (80 mins, eps 1 and 2) is extremely promising for the rest of the series if you like elves, demons, magic, etc.
Can't find it for download, the only source I have is Couchtuner http://couchtuner.city/5/the-shannara-c ... 1-2-pilot/
This is the way