E-books and e-book readers

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Raffles
Rookie
Rookie

Re: e-books and e-book reader

Post by Raffles »

Would like to give my vote for the Kindle Fire. Purchased 1 year ago and having just checked my Amazon library, have read 49 books in that time. I love the ease of selecting and buying my books from Amazon with basically one-click and being downloaded to my Kindle in around 2 mins. It's a treat to buy books at such a cheap price, after years of paying silly prices in overseas book stores.

It's also wonderful to be able to read in bed, in the dark, without disturbing grumpy DH (Darling Hubby) who has to get up for work in the morning! He now has a Kindle Fire too - after much persuasion, as couldn't get his head around not holding a paper book - and although sceptical at first, he admits he wouldn't want to be without it now.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Do you use the Kindle Fire for anything other than books? Doesn't it have all sorts of other iPad-style applications?
Where did you buy it? :cheers:
This is the way
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

dtaai-maai wrote:Do you use the Kindle Fire for anything other than books? Doesn't it have all sorts of other iPad-style applications?
Where did you buy it? :cheers:

Kindle Fire is pretty much the same as an I Pad, but the print on the other ( & cheaper) Kindle models is very much easier on the eye for reading books, as already mentioned above today
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Thanks PET, I hadn't looked back at the previous page. I'm convinced now - the Touch it is. Just a question of how to get hold of one without going to BKK... :cheers:
This is the way
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I don't think they make the touch any more - or is that the basic kindle?
Talk is cheap
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

dtaai-maai wrote:Thanks PET, I hadn't looked back at the previous page. I'm convinced now - the Touch it is. Just a question of how to get hold of one without going to BKK... :cheers:
This is the Kindle Bangkok web page
http://kindle-thailand.in.th/en

The prices have changed since I bought 3 months ago but all the info is there, they will send to HH by EMS at their cost.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

I have have and use an eink ereader for 4 years now.
I recently bought 7inch screen android tablet( hero tab) with touch screen and downloaded the free kindle app along with other ereader apps. This gives you the features of the kindle fire and more - cost 4000 Baht, cheaper tablet androids can be had for less than 2000 baht but this has a faster chip 1.8 and 8gig onboard memory.
I find the battery life is the disadvantage of the backlit screen tablet but the wireless delivery of books is good and can check emails, play games, gps etc.
I did not think I would like the lit screen but for reading in half light or dark it is great. I was going to buy the kindle paperwhite with led light but now am satisfied with the android tab.
Oh and calibre is a book converter/ library very useful if you want to change the format of the book you have 'purchased' :wink:
Sign up to http://www.kuforum.co.uk/free_ebooks/latest/ and get loads of free book lists emailed to you every day.
tuebl.com and mobilism.org are also good for finding books :cheers:
no more dePreston
Raffles
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Raffles »

DM - We effectively only use our Kindle Fires for reading books. We probably do under-use them given that it is a Tablet, although sometimes log onto the Internet if we're in a wi-fi zone when out as the small size means it's always in my handbag. Bought in a Virgin store in the ME.

We both have iPads which we prefer to use for e-mail etc as the screen is bigger.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Well, I looked on the webpage and decided on the Paperwhite.
Then I saw poosmate's post.
And now I'm back in my quandary... :laugh:
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I looked on the web page, and was left in a bit of a quandry i.e.:

- Is the product a Kindle Fire, or Kindle Fire HD. You can pick up a Kindle Fire for about £120 in the UK, where as the HD is £160 and £200 depending on storage capacity. If it's a basic Kindle Fire, that web site is greatly over priced.

- The Kindle fire has been out of stock for several months.

I'd love the large capacity Kindle Fire HD, but I don't know if they are available in Thailand.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

It really depends on what you want to use your Kindle for; if it is primarily for reading then a dedicated e-reader is very much kinder on your eyes. If you want to be able to use it as a tablet as well then it would be the Kindle fire or any other tablet with a Kindle app.
To conserve the life of the battery the back lighting on the Paperwhite can, I believe, be switched off; another way to conserve the battery is to keep wi-fi turned off unless actually downloading something.
If I were to upgrade my kindle I would certainly look at the Paperwhite. If you have a look on the Kindle page on Amazon they have an excellent comparison between their various models.

The comparison is right at the very end, there is a lot of scrolling involved first.
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

Why buy an 'amazon pad' ? http://theherotab.com/home/ I have the latest model of this and cannot see why the kindle fire would be better? I am genuinely interested what it will do more than the android that is 1/2 the price?
no more dePreston
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Assuming that you meant 'Why NOT buy', the Hero Tab sounds good. However, there are no prices on your link (at least I didn't see them). How much are they, and are they available in Thailand?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

I bought mine in Pantip http://www.tabletworld168.com/Dualcore.html cost 4200 Baht. Also had one with sim slot I think 1000 Baht more.

I did mean why buy an AMAZON pad -Kindle :wink:
no more dePreston
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

poosmate wrote:Why buy an 'amazon pad' ? http://theherotab.com/home/ I have the latest model of this and cannot see why the kindle fire would be better? I am genuinely interested what it will do more than the android that is 1/2 the price?
As I have already said a dedicated e-reader is kinder on the eyes if you are going to be reading for any length of time. I have the Kindle ap on my tablet and I could most certainly not read it for the same length of time I can my Kindle. If you are looking at a Kindle fire then I would agree with you, you may as well buy any tablet you like and just download Kindle or any other e-reader.