The Cheese Thread

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Big Boy

Re: Cheese in Hua Hin

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, thank you Harry - 17 pages of it in fact viewtopic.php?f=16&t=33106&hilit=melton

Can we try to stay with cheese please.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Yes MM is a protected brand as is Stilton. The geographical area of both, mostly in Leicestershire I think, is defined by trade law. Cheddar tried for protection, but was denied.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

oakdale160 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:37 am I have also bought stilton at Macro although not stocked all the time,
Stilton is definitely available in Gourmet Market and I assume at Villa Market? I don't know about TOPS in Hua Hin as I rarely go there, but TOPS in Bangkok sell Stilton.
Talk is cheap
alleykat
Professional
Professional

Post by alleykat »

What happened to the cheese factory, Italian I think, on the soi just past Hua Hin Hospital?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

According to their website it's still there. Soi 10 Del Cesaro. Closes at 4pm
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

For the first time ever,in a competition in Italy an American cheese has been named the Cheese of the Year, . There were over 3000 entries. The winner is from Oregon on the US west coast --Rouge River Blue Cheese. They sell it at $75 for a quarter wheel which is 20 ounces. I think that works out at 4000 baht for a Kilo.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Bought a nice slice of Brie at Baguette, today, near Makro, for 186Bht. 950Bht a kg. Less than at Makro.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I use the original Baguette quite regularly - I didn't even know they sold cheese. Or is it only the one near Makro?

Points 51; Position 21
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:58 pm I use the original Baguette quite regularly - I didn't even know they sold cheese. Or is it only the one near Makro?
I don't know but there's a cooler on the right, in the first room, at the back and they may keep it there. There's also small containers of garlic butter in the fridge.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, thanks - I'll look next tome I'm there.

Points 51; Position 21
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

oakdale160 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:07 am Yes MM is a protected brand as is Stilton. The geographical area of both, mostly in Leicestershire I think, is defined by trade law. Cheddar tried for protection, but was denied.
Yes, most Stilton is from Leicestershire but they also make it in the small village of Long Clawson in Nottinghamshire which is close to where mother lives. For me, it's the finest cheese in the world but perhaps I was fed too much of it as child!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Apparently there was never any Stilton made in the village of Stilton but there was a big market there where cheesemongers from surrounding villages sold their product. The number of dairies allowed to use the Stilton name is very small.
On another related subject, just as the number of craft brewers making local quality beer has exploded so has the production of local type cheeses. This has happened not just in the UK but also in US and Canada (Aus too??).
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OMG oakdale, do you do it on purpose? There's a clue in the title. Provincial Hua Hin has now spread to the UK, US, Canada and Australia :banghead:

:offtopic: please.

Points 51; Position 21
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

:thumb:
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Was in AP Foods this morning. The fridge nearest the door was packed with packs of Mature Cheddar at 169 baht per pop.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.