Local Thais have no interest in learning English

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Re: Local Thais Not Interested in Learning English

Post by Dr Mike »

I did nor realise that there was a HH problem, although on reflection in Bkk younger Thais will seek out your company at coffee-time, lunch time etc just so that they can practice their English. I dont remember that happening in HH.
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

Dr Mike wrote:I did nor realise that there was a HH problem, although on reflection in Bkk younger Thais will seek out your company at coffee-time, lunch time etc just so that they can practice their English. I dont remember that happening in HH.
Yes, in BKK and elsewhere, have had Thais, both young and old, approach me with a sham request just to get you talking in English... In BKK in particular, I always seems to be a target in a lift.
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

bapak wrote:
Dr Mike wrote:I did nor realise that there was a HH problem, although on reflection in Bkk younger Thais will seek out your company at coffee-time, lunch time etc just so that they can practice their English. I dont remember that happening in HH.
Yes, in BKK and elsewhere, have had Thais, both young and old, approach me with a sham request just to get you talking in English... In BKK in particular, I always seems to be a target in a lift.
I always try to help. I try to speak slowly and clearly and avoid any abbreviations or slang, they are always very appreciative.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Re: Local Thais have no interest in learning English

Post by bsdk1960 »

my GF just start saturday on a 47 hour course for the price of 1900 baht,number of student: 1 so she got private lessons so far. :D :D

I think the normal price is 3100 so its very cheap and if I understand it correct its a running course
so the price would be the same if the student continue after the first class.

:cheers: :cheers:
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

Somebody earlier said that State schools do not teach English.

One of my Thai friend's son, goes to State school and he gets taught English.

No idea what school he goes to but he has a school issued electronic pad thing that he uses for the alphabet, counting, what we would call nursery rhymes etc.
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

sand_dancer wrote:Somebody earlier said that State schools do not teach English.

One of my Thai friend's son, goes to State school and he gets taught English.

No idea what school he goes to but he has a school issued electronic pad thing that he uses for the alphabet, counting, what we would call nursery rhymes etc.
As I understand, English classes are compulsory from Grade 5 (about 7 years of age).
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

We critisise but do nothing. I have a friend living in a town in Issan. He and another British guy took courses on teaching English and everyday one of them go into the local primary school and hold an English conversational class. The results have been amazing.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I disagree Dr Mike. Before I knew better, I used to go into the local school in Ban Nong Seng and talk to the kids. The headmaster used to stop all other lessons, and I would address the whole school - it made me feel good. My retirement visa status would see me deported if I got caught now.

Many of us would love to help, but the rules which we have moved here under do not permit it.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

Interesting, I did not know that. So even unpaid volunteer work is prohibited????? Thats worth knowing. I get asked for my medical opinion everywhere I go, I better be careful!!!
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

Big Boy wrote:I disagree Dr Mike. Before I knew better, I used to go into the local school in Ban Nong Seng and talk to the kids. The headmaster used to stop all other lessons, and I would address the whole school - it made me feel good. My retirement visa status would see me deported if I got caught now.

Many of us would love to help, but the rules which we have moved here under do not permit it.
Absolutely correct, BB. Volunteering to teach is Work under the Government rules...and a WP is required. And on your "Retirement " status", cannot get WP.

I often bemoan this.. There are thousands of very capable Retirees in Thailand who would willing devote some of their time teaching, advising, etc., free to their community. What a loss to Thailand.

I can cite many instances where a foreigner has performed a free act and have been charged with working without a WP. Although, I also know of a number of Expats volunteering to teach English in small districts where the local authorities tolerate it. Although would not try in Hua Hin where the Tourist Police have taken on the task of catching such offender and extract $$$.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

bapak wrote:What a loss to Thailand.
Can you imagine a nation of Thais speaking in a Janner dialect? :twisted:

Seriously, I used to find it very rewarding, and many of the older kids used to seek me out at the Father-in-Law's house to continue conversation after school. I was always impressed at their English speaking abilities considering that Ban Nong Seng is as much of a backwater as you will find in Thailand.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Another story--A woman where I work had been sent to live with an aunt in Vancouver for a 2 years from 15-17. She spoke English perfectly and with no Thai accent or conventional mistakes when talking to me one-on-one. When other Thais were present she would speak with a heavy Thai accent, no prepositions etc--speaking English like a native speaker English speaker would not make her popular.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I've been chatting on facebook with some of my ex-students from the 90's. In those days, I thought, many of them would never learn to use English but I'm now suprised how well they at least write English. They must have picked it up sometimes after grade 12. :D
steve2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by steve2 »

China has made a massive investment in teaching English, so the Thai's better get with the program or they will be left behind... Jim who owns the language school in Hau Hin said he has way to many Thai students that want to learn English. Banks are asking him to teach all of there staff, so someone is learning...
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Do I understand that once AEC is implemented that there will be free flow of labor throughout the region. One can visualise that international companies might bring in S'porians in the thousands!