Spelling mistakes

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Spelling mistakes

Post by ozuncle »

May I suggest that where obvious spelling mistakes appear in new topics, a moderator edits the mistake as soon as he/she sees it.
A recent one, "Adapting a Thai child" is obviously either a spelling mistake or a typo or maybe English is not the first language of the op.
I dont mean going through everyones post but just the Topic.
I feel sure the op would not mind.
:cheers:
You only live once.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I often do this with threads in the news section but wouldn't mind doing it elsewhere providing the OP doesn't mind.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Sabai Jai
Professional
Professional

Post by Sabai Jai »

I am sometimes surprised to occasionally notice typos in my posts that I felt fairly confident were ok.

Perhaps I'm just too used to word and outlook either auto-correcting or highlighting my mistakes (and forcing everything into 'American English' which can be annoying).

Is there any way to spell check posts?

Sabai Jai
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

I'll take this chance to suggest to everybody that they install the Mozilla dictionary add on. It checks spelling for all text up to a certain point. You can add words and correct with a right mouse click.

Of course it would not have picked up the problem detailed above.

Is it possible that the OP did actually make the correct spelling?
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Guess wrote:I'll take this chance to suggest to everybody that they install the Mozilla dictionary add on. It checks spelling for all text up to a certain point. You can add words and correct with a right mouse click.

Of course it would not have picked up the problem detailed above.

Is it possible that the OP did actually make the correct spelling?
My spelling is not very good but i do try to put my points across and some substance to my posts, some times with mini dictionary in hand, i offen edit my posts the next day because i like to come on here on my return from the pub or after a 12 hour night shift. :oops:

Guess i would like to Know how to get the Mozilla dictionary add on.

Buksida could it be possible to add a spell checker to this forum i would definitely welcome this, because my literacy is not 100% it did take a lot for me to start posting on this forum, :oops: but i really enjoy it and will continue to do so. Three months ago i started through my company an ITQ level 2 computer course and this does cover literacy and numeracy, and is now a start to skilling up that i should have done years ago. Hopefully this is a start of my journey to a managers job and maybe a transfer to Leam Chabang in the future.
:cheers:
Kendo.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Well said all round, Kendo. Terrific post. :clap: :clap: :clap:
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

If you're here long enough, spelling isn't a big issue, even on a farang forum... :shock: We're lucky some people aren't typing Thai words in English without knowing they're doing it.

The old saying "use it or lose it" rings true. Fade away from your career, immerse yourself in Thai culture through everyday life with Thai spouse, family, neighbors etc., and you will soon be questioning everything you write in English. I.E., "That doesn't look right...?"... :idea:

You can read English newspapers and books as much as you like, you'll still start to lose your knowledge of spelling eventually, and it's not the Chang, I don't think? :wink: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

kendo wrote:
Guess i would like to Know how to get the Mozilla dictionary add on.

In Mozilla Firefox select tools/addons/browse for add ons and type dictionary. It will give you a list of the many it has.

You will have to restart Mozilla to get it working.

You won't need a HHAD checker with that installed.

Good luck.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Guess wrote: Is it possible that the OP did actually make the correct spelling?
Well, you'll have to use the "a" before you achieve the "o". Once you achieve the "o", the "a" will become even more important and aggressively used.

Perhaps he/she was thinking ahead? :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Oh, great. I've made another faux pas (on that thread). Read that one before this one. Brilliant. :(

Spellcheck wouldn't stop one perfectly valid word being used instead of another, though.

Pete, the 'a' can come before or even without the 'o'
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
buksida

Post by buksida »

kendo wrote: Buksida could it be possible to add a spell checker to this forum i would definitely welcome this,
The suggestion by Guess about using Firefox and spell-check add-ons is about the best solution to this one.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The spell checker on the Google tool bar works for me.
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

My Brian is good enough for me! :thumb:
Talk is cheap
caducus

Post by caducus »

I have always felt that if one is going to post on a public forum, one should at least try to ensure that one's spelling is correct.

I am sure that some readers will be automatically prejudiced against a poster who cannot write or spell for toffee, no matter how true the facts or heartfelt the opinions expressed.

I have an excellent spell-checker by my side. It's called The Concise Oxford Dictionary.

You may call me a pedant, or a supercilious old fart - but at least I know how to spell correctly.
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

My Brian is good enough for me!
Nice one. This has reminded me of a funny event.
In 1974 a friend and I bought tickets to see queen in concert, being a couple of young hussars we decided to make big glittery hats to wear to the concert.
It was only after I had finished mine that my mum asked me why I had made a hat with big letters on that said 'Brain May'... :lach: :lach:
www.35mmview.com