Do you let your children drink Sodas?

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
SuperTonic
Suspended
Suspended

Post by SuperTonic »

There are definite links between diet and behaviour. If you feed your kids crap, their energy levels won't be right, and you will cause chemical imbalances, including in the brain. I have noticed with many kids that they can be perfectly normal and reasonable kids, but if you stuff them with sweets, just watch them go.
Libraries gave us power, then work came and made us [url=http://linux.com/]free[/url]. What price now for a shallow piece of dignity?
[url=http://www.ubuntu.com]sudo apt-get install linux[/url]
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

We have, in recent times, almost totally outlawed Coke, Pepsi and other soft drinks from our home. Same thing with sweets and bisquits.

Occassionally, we give in and let them have a small glass of something, or some sweets, this normally happens if someone else offers them to our kids.

The contents of all of these products are most definitely NOT fit for human consumption.
Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

For my sins I lived in Basingstoke for a few years

They have a large mental hospital there called Park Prewitt

Many of the patients were people who had been relocated there from London and were young and depressed

The number one doctor there wrote a book linking depression and other similar mental conditions to diet. Many patients were suffering from allergies and many illnesses from wrong diets

My own young daughter had been suffering severe stomach aches and depressive moods. Our local GP recommended a visit to the hospital and they came up with a simple solution which solved it. 5 day fast on water alone. Then introduce your previous diet 1 item at a time until you get a reaction. Result? Allergic to cows milk

His book is very simple and explains that certain food and drink can imbalance certain people and yet not affect others
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

Hi Richard

Good post.

I have run free fasting/detox retreats in Portugal and also a couple here in Hua Hin. The outcome has always been very positive. After one 11-day 'lemonade diet' I undertook I had a quite amazing sense of peace which I have not been able to repeat since. (as some of my posts show :roll: ).

I enjoy taking people through the detoxes since it helps me get back into the disciplines and there is a terrific sense of satisfaction when you see them transform.

What commonly occurs is that the taste buds are given a break and wake up. The sweet, fatty, salty addictive foods that tend to make veggies and fruits tasteless no longer exert their influence and the 'treats' lose their lustre.

It can be transformational on many levels. People are so habituated (or addicted) that they think they cannot change or simply feel helpless. Once they realize they can and it's not so bad after all, they are then motivated to take the program into their everyday lives.

Skin diseases, bowel disorders, allergies, emotional problems, self esteem problems are resolved as the body's vital power, instead of being taken up full time in digestion, is directed to the healing process.

After 3 years here, I'm looking at ways to fill the hours besides Internet surfing and since there are only a few expensive spas offering limited courses, I'm minded to extend the free 'retreats' to others, besides, friends. To keep up to date with my knowledge, test out new techniques and just generally make myself useful.

I have knowledge of various disciplines such as EFT, Yoga, Reiki and Qigong and can put together an effective program.

Anyway, this is just self-talk. There may not be any interest in Hua Hin.

Nice to see that there are some responsible parents out there on the sweetie/Coke front. It's a challenge when so many don't seem to care or are even aware. :thumb:
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

MrPlum wrote:Skin diseases, bowel disorders, allergies, emotional problems, self esteem problems are resolved as the body's vital power, instead of being taken up full time in digestion, is directed to the healing process.
I've been watching a show on Reality TV for the last week or so about a group of Brits with similar problems. They were taken to a hotel in Turkey for a ten day detox, very interesting to watch. The part about 'Bowel Plaque' was an eye opener (no pun intended). These people seemed to change overnight as soon as they started to rid their bodies of this substance. Quite amazing.

The last show was yesterday, the results from their detox were impressive. Most were cured of their problems, some, although not fully cured, certainly had a vast improvement in their condition. All came away having had a very positive attitude to the whole experience.
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I'm sure that most, if not all of us had sweeties and sodas when we were kids and we've all made it this far so I really don't see why kids today should have to go without. On the other hand I don't think parents should provide an endless supply of these for kids and if done correctly, a lot of the nice treats can be healthy ones which kids will enjoy just as much. Our two little ones are just as happy having fresh fruit as they are having sweets so of course they get far more fruit than they do sweets. Instead of sodas they get milk, soymilk, yogart, and fresh juice. As far as other treats are concerned, we give them things such as nuts, raisins, etc.
Once or twice a week the eldest (now three years old) asks for some pepsi and yes I do give her a can. She is so hyper at the best of times so I would not know the difference if the pepsi made any in the first place.

I suppose we are quite lucky in that there are never any sodas, etc in the house. The wife only drinks water and fresh juice so thats is all that is available for the kids because I'll be damned if I'm sharing my beers with them.

All in all, I think that we still have to allow kids to be kids and a few treats here and there won't do them any harm at all. To hell with all the health experts because after all, is there anything at all that is not bad for us?
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

I wonder if diet can help Khun Samak with his constipation problem or is he going to be full of shit for the rest of his life.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Here's an alternative:
My brother and I were introduced to " the sweetie shock regime" at an early age. Think I was about 10 and my brother 8.
Anyway, one summer holiday, our father made a deal with us. "I'll buy you all the sweets in the world, but you've got to eat them all by the time I get back from work. If you do, then you can ask for sweets anytime you want. If you can't finish them, never ask for sweets again."
There were carrier bags of the good stuff, but he cheated and bought boiled sweets as well. How were we supposed to get through all of those?
So, we cheated also and I invited a friend round to help us.
The three of us were sick for the next few days.
Other than the occasional "treat" from a 7-11 when I'm a bit drunk, I've never gone near the stuff again.
Shock therapy works OK
:cheers:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Careful Lomu, any parent copying that in the UK now will be whisked away for child cruelty! 8)
Talk is cheap
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

When they get a bit older make them smoke 20 fags , drink a case of beer and eat a large doner kebab .If they can't manage it they need to be weaned off the Linda Mcartney sausages and organic vegatables as soon as possible .

During the rehabilitation process increasing amounts of vodka and animal fats should be introduced to the diet until they are capable of getting steaming drunk and still managing to give a good account of themselves in a fight outside the pig & whistle before proceeding to the curry house for a double hard bastard vindaloo .

.But whatever you do don,t let them have sweets,makes them hyperactive . :wink:

Crazy 88
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

There are always those who seek to defend their own lifestyle choices, good or bad. I can understand the bloody-minded, who will raise their kids however they bloody like. (an excuse usually for doing nothing) as much as I understand the health fascists, who need a night on the tiles and a pull through with a Christmas tree.

When you are as old as most members here, you know all the answers. You know what's good for you or what's not. You just don't appreciate it when someone tells you what you already know but don't want to hear.

As JD may have noted about the Brits on the reality TV show, people being people won't do anything about a health condition, difficult marriage, troublesome boss, depression, phobia, etc.. until it gets too uncomfortable, painful or they are on their last legs. Others will mock and convince themselves they are in control. A kind of bravado that deep down they know is fake.

I've seen enough alkys in my life that those who loudly brag about how many they necked the night before don't impress me one bit. Been there. Done that. Just as those who are on poor diets can brag about the ribs, burgers and so on. They only impress themselves.

My wife was weaned on Chocolate Milk. Her chocaholic mother claimed that's all she would take. Already addicted in the womb. :shock:

To encourage your children to adopt the same pattern is selfish beyond belief.

Sure crazy is right, that when they are older they will make their own choices but at least you should give them a fighting chance and not lead them to the age of consent weighing 30 stone and already f**ked for life.

Interesting shock therapy lomu. I did that with my son and smoking. 'Can I try a cigarette dad?'. 'Sure son, you need to breathe it in deep to get the most enjoyment' :twisted: Coughed his lungs up and never tried again. (Never trusted me again either)

When my daughter was two she kept trying to touch a two-bar electric fire. her mum desperately kept dragging her away. One day I was in control and sure enough she went for the fire. I grabbed her hand, not to stop her but to control what came next. I moved the end of a finger close enough for the heat and pain to register. Lots of howling but an end to her game. Over-protective?

Not all children have the same body types. Some children gain 5lb just by looking at a cream cake. Others can overindulge with no ill effects. You have to note your own child's propensity and be cruel to be kind if necessary and always remember an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure. Kids will always scream blue murder when you take away their toys... or sweets... but they soon get over it.

It's not difficult getting a child to sign up. There are so many fat children around that your own children can easily make the connection between weight and diet. Trying to get them to understand why you are being strict is easy. My youngster doesn't kick up a fuss. Get the control thing out of the way early and children are a joy.

Gobstopper anyone?
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

No......but I encourage other parent's kids to.... :cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

I note that reiki is one of your interests Mr Plum ? Kat practices reiki and a number of other things .She seems to have met a number of people in HH with similar interests so there may be more than you think here .She does not look at the forum very often but i am sure she will reply if you send her a PM .

Crazy 88
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

crazy88 wrote:I note that reiki is one of your interests Mr Plum ? Kat practices reiki and a number of other things .She seems to have met a number of people in HH with similar interests so there may be more than you think here .She does not look at the forum very often but i am sure she will reply if you send her a PM .

Crazy 88
Thanks crazy. I'm sure there are lots of talented folk out there who might enjoy re-vitalizing their skills.

Mr Plum's Naturopathic Institute and Spa is now offering treatment for serious cases of 'guff' and 'nitpicking'. Kat the Reiki Master will bring the energies back into balance of those traumatized by gobstoppers that refuse to change colour or that get trapped in the windpipe. :wink:

You're a bugger Mr S. :thumb:
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

JD wrote:
MrPlum wrote:Skin diseases, bowel disorders, allergies, emotional problems, self esteem problems are resolved as the body's vital power, instead of being taken up full time in digestion, is directed to the healing process.
I've been watching a show on Reality TV for the last week or so about a group of Brits with similar problems. They were taken to a hotel in Turkey for a ten day detox, very interesting to watch. The part about 'Bowel Plaque' was an eye opener (no pun intended). These people seemed to change overnight as soon as they started to rid their bodies of this substance. Quite amazing.

The last show was yesterday, the results from their detox were impressive. Most were cured of their problems, some, although not fully cured, certainly had a vast improvement in their condition. All came away having had a very positive attitude to the whole experience.
Hi JD

I did a search online for Turkey and detox and came up with the Spa of Embarrassing Illnesses as the name of the show. Can't find a decent link to watch it online. Do you know whether they repeat these programs? If so, when can I catch the next one and what channel is it on? Cheers!