Home Schooling.

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Home Schooling.

Post by HHTel »

After living in Hua Hin for some 7 years, I recently returned to the UK just over 3 months ago. One of the main reasons was to give my two daughters a decent education. However, although their English fluency has improved immensely, they have picked up language that wouldn't make me proud. Their vocabulary has certainly developed!!!

Although the school has a good reputation, they have their share of 'bad kids'. My daughters have suffered some racial abuse but have also made some good friends. They can't understand why there are so many 'horrible children' here. My 11 year old won her first (and hopefully her last) black eye yesterday protecting her younger sister from an older girl. Turned out to be a real street brawl with hair pulling, punching etc.

My kids like the school and their teachers but there's nothing much more they like in this glorious country. Consequently, I'm aiming to return to Hua Hin and opt for home schooling my kids. All the materials are available here in the UK and I've been doing some research on the subject. It's a growing trend here and I've heard only success stories. Kids taught at home are likely to get better grades than someone attending school. I spoke to one couple who had to leave the country for 3 years due to work and decided to home school their son whilst they were away. When they returned, they put him back into the school system only to find out quite quickly that their son was far ahead of the other kids in the class. So they took him out of school and went back to home study. Subsequently, he achieved 7 GCSE's at good grades including one A*. He's now studying for his A-levels.

The downside of course is they don't get the social interaction with other kids but there are other ways of getting them involved with other kids.

I was wondering if there are any parents on this forum who have opted to teach their kids at home and what their experiences have been.

I'd be greatful for any feedback.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

HHTel,
I can't add anything on home schooling, although I have also heard good things about it, but I'd just like to say how pleased I am that you are returning to HH. You may want to talk to Buffalo Bill though as I think his kids are having some form of home schooling here. Let me know when you are coming back and if there is anything you need help with (other than money!!. :shock: )
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

HHTel

I think there is a home schooling support group in Hua Hin.

I'm sure your making the right move getting out of that hell hole. You have 2 wonderful daughters and I can imagine their shock when they were confronted at their new school with the vulgar disrespectful British kids. What made you think they would get a better education over there? The mind boggles!

:cheers:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Well, Jockey, I'm not as clever as you and I was surprised how far the UK has gone down the pan in just a few years. Anyhow, we live and learn. I can advise anyone else thinking of returning now that I have the experience. The advice is plain and simple ------- DON'T DO IT!
Drapes
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Drapes »

Jockey, HHTel has 3 wonderful daughters...