Good Stuff On TV(ish)

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Good Stuff On TV(ish)

Post by sandman67 »

After a few posts in other sections I thought it'd be a good idea to have a TV thread for people to post "hey look out for this" posts about programs coming on.....hopefully.

Anyway....here goes.

Two that should be appearing on History Channel here soon (or they could be on now???Who knows with the TV guide?).

WARRIORS

This is a cool program where the presenter does a history program on various warrior cultures and key periods in history. So far we have had the Maya, Vikings, Barbarians, Scots, Knights and Samurai.

Each program relies on input from archaeologists, exerts and current practicioners and takes an in depth look at weapons, armour, rituals and culture, as well as walking through that period of history.

The presenter, a serving Green Beret, is excellent.....sort of a cross between GI Joe and a SoCal Surf dude. His enthusiasm is infectious, and his mad have a go attitude gets him in some scrapes....in one program he cut his own leg badly whilst tring to learn how to use a Maya obsidian edged club.....he just grinned and took the pain, laughing it off with Now You See How Deadly A Bit Of Wood And Stone Is attitude! He does take a good pasting off an expert in that programs arms at least once a program....and loves it!

The research is generally good and in depth, although it does get a bit over emotional in an American way sometimes.....

still an excellent watch.

BATTLES BC

Looks and feels like the film 300, using docudrama and exert input to analyse military campaigns in ancient times, focussing on particular generals. So far we have had David, Joshua, Moses, Hannibal and Ceaser. Alexander is next week.

The research and detail are excellent, but the 300 style battle sections are cack and a distraction for the kiddies. Amateur hour acting at its worst and some of the most awful staged fights Ive ever seen....still I have never swung a khopesh so what do I know?

The heavy Biblical slant puts me off as well....basing three programs on one book of the bible - Exodus - seems to be pandering to current emerging research too much for me, especially as theres sod all hard archaeology to back most of it up.

Still a good program worth a watch.

They are both on History Channel in the west, so should be getting here soon. Alternately you can watch them online at historychannel.com.

:cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

an odd one I found

DEADLIEST WARRIOR

uses computer simulations and scientific examination of weapons, armour and techniques to work out who would win between two very different warriors....so you get ninja vs spartan, pirate vs knight, viking vs samurai, apache vs gladiator......

some of the research is a bit swiffy and the program is made with that hyped up style of two teams facing off.....but hell its fun and some of the results are interesting and surprising.

upcoming programs have Shaka Zulu vs William Wallace, the Mafia vs Yakuza, and .... Taliban vs IRA?????? Ohhhhhhh man thats one that tests the taste boundaries.

Its online at the mo but Discovery are looking to syndicate it.
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."