Government Support of Thai Traditional Medicine

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Government Support of Thai Traditional Medicine

Post by MrPlum »

Thai Traditional Medicine
It may not be well known but the Thai government provides significant support for natural medicine in Thailand.

If you have had a disappointing experience using OTC (Over the counter) medicines, then I would not give up on natural approaches but instead look to use quality herbs as part of an overall holistic approach.

The following PDF explains the Thai policy towards traditional Thai medicine and its place within the Thai Medical System. Just as in India it regards traditional methods as useful and seeks to support it within an overall health framework. This PDF outlines the policy as well as some of the practices.

ftp://203.146.168.133/APW%20Products/Na ... rnment.pdf

As most people are aware, in TTM (Thai Traditional medicine) massage forms the basis of bodywork, sometimes using hot herbal compresses and/or sweating. Licenced therapeutic massage practitioners undertake a minimum 800 hours training.

The number of registered herbs and herbal formulations up to 2007 is over 10,000. The number of authorized TTM practitioners in Thailand is over 40,000.

If, like me, you are interested in natural approaches this PDF is a valuable resource. It identifies methods, training institutions, some herbs and useful references.

Essential Drugs
Thailand has a policy of evidence-based drug testing and has a National Essential Drug List, which has been compiled originally with the assistance of the WHO and has evolved into a list of those drugs which are considered essential to the health of Thais. An article in today's Bangkok post http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/health/ ... pill-plant mentioned that 19 herbal medicines are listed and some are in the PDF, if you are interested.

Four mentioned in the article are "Ya Hom Thepajit" for improving blood circulation, "Ya Lueng Pid Samut" for curing intestinal disorders, "Ya Chan Leela" for getting rid of fever, and "Ya Prasaplai", a traditional medicine for women.

1,000 medicinal plants have been documented in official Traditional Thai Pharmacopoeias.

Mahidol University has a useful medicinal plant finder (in Thai)... http://medplant.mahidol.ac.th/index.asp and is a top research institute.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Government support of Thai Traditional Medicine

Post by margaretcarnes »

I'm not surprised to hear of this government support, and wish the UK government would provide similar information.
There's a place for traditional medicine in any society IMO. But is there a danger that the need for modern manufactured drugs, when it arises, might be ignored on financial grounds to the detriment of the patient?
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Re: Government support of Thai Traditional Medicine

Post by MrPlum »

margaretcarnes wrote:I'm not surprised to hear of this government support, and wish the UK government would provide similar information.
There's a place for traditional medicine in any society IMO. But is there a danger that the need for modern manufactured drugs, when it arises, might be ignored on financial grounds to the detriment of the patient?
This happens in the UK too with some drugs extremely expensive and therefore not available on the NHS.

I have read that only 2% of pharmaceutical drugs have any significant efficacy and that there are over 200,000 drugs on the market. If this is true then any country only needs to have a core 2000 drugs available to the public.

Thailand's National Essential Drugs List, (which is mainly pharma drugs) should cover all the major and minor conditions Thais experience. I believe it has about 1300 drugs on the list. (Less than 2%). One would hope that these drugs would be available throughout the system but I have no real idea.

Thailand has some protective policies in place with its own generic drug production sector.

Please do your own research.

Wish I could read Thai! :oops:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I'm trying a drug (or lack there of) experiment currently. I stopped taking my blood pressure medicine at the beginning of this month and instead am trying to improve my diet (less salt, etc) and am doing 30 minutes per day of aerobic exercise using a heart monitor so that I can keep my heart rate at 80% of maximum for my age. (I exercise for 36 minutes, 3 minutes to warm up and get the heart rate into the "zone" and 3 minutes to cool down afterward). So far my systolic pressure has risen about 25 points, diastolic has remained near perfect (I check it with my own machine several times a day).

I'll carry on maybe three months and see if the diet and exercise finally take effect but if not, I'm afraid it's back to the pharmacy for the 1700+ baht per month medication.

Although, I'm sure if I sift through MrPlum's posts, I'll find a herbal remedy...maybe I'll try that for the second three months before I go back to the meds (if I'm still alive :D ).
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

hhfarang wrote:I'll carry on maybe three months and see if the diet and exercise finally take effect but if not, I'm afraid it's back to the pharmacy for the 1700+ baht per month medication.
Great news, hh. I'm interested in your program and what results you achieve. Why not start your own diary and inspire others. I'm sure it would help keep you motivated. :thumb:
"Let no one who has the slightest desire to live in peace and quietness be tempted, under any circumstances, to enter upon the chivalrous task of trying to correct a popular error."---William Thoms
Huahinian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Huahinian »

Like HHFarang, I have also stopped taking two prescribed medicines, Plavix and Crestor. After talking to Mr.Plum and then doing some research on the web, I am currently taking Apple Cider Vinegar 2/3 times daily. I had my blood tested last week and my cholesterol and triglycerates were normal.

I stopped the pharma meds a month ago and started taking the ACV at the same time.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Huh? What did I miss? I thought apple cider vinegar worked like an antibiotic. It reduces cholesterol? That's the one pill I'm still taking. If ACV will do the trick, then I'm only down to my 3 asthma inhalers/snorters! :shock: :D
Huahinian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Huahinian »

Just sent you a PM with my number
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Government support of Thai Traditional Medicine

Post by margaretcarnes »

Agreed Mr P British GPs have been all too ready to dish out pharmaceuticals from their huge choice. (We've discussed statins for example in the past.) And there have been reports of people denied medication on grounds of cost.
There is though some sign of change in the UK at last. I was referred for acupuncture for example for a shoulder problem. My brother has been advised on diet as a first step in treating high blood pressure. All well and good, and hopefully the savings to the NHS might help them to afford the more expensive and necessary drugs.
But we still have a way to go, as there are a lot of folks programmed to expect a prescription from their doc (and of course often for free,) and who would moan that they can't afford a more appropriate diet, or to buy traditional medicines.
I believe that Thailand is in a better position to make a culture of traditional medicine therapy work, or rather to encourage it's continued use.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Would you guys write a letter to Obama, Pelosi, and Hillary Clinton about the failings of socialized medicine in your country? We are headed down that road and with the ineptitude of our government and the much larger population (millions of which are there illegally), it will never work! :cry:
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

hhfarang wrote:Would you guys write a letter to Obama, Pelosi, and Hillary Clinton about the failings of socialized medicine in your country? We are headed down that road and with the ineptitude of our government and the much larger population (millions of which are there illegally), it will never work! :cry:
Get out and exercise! :wink:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Most Americans get their exercise running from McDonald's after lunch down the block to Krispy Kreme for dessert! :lach:
Huahinian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Huahinian »

They certainly don't seem to get it by opening their PM's! :D
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

hhfarang wrote:Huh? What did I miss? I thought apple cider vinegar worked like an antibiotic. It reduces cholesterol? That's the one pill I'm still taking. If ACV will do the trick, then I'm only down to my 3 asthma inhalers/snorters! :shock: :D
Think you will find that ACV can offer many benfits for Asthma sufferers too. Plenty of testimonials on the net

Give it s try, I take ACV twice daily, with honey, cayenne pepper and water.

Winkie
Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....
Huahinian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Huahinian »

HHFarang - please read the link I provided in a PM to you.