Cookin Corner

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Re: Cookin Corner

Post by joelle »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:16 pm I’m sure a microwave will reheat a pie that’s edible, but to produce something that’s really enjoyable I’d always use a conventional oven. I’m confident that if you did a blind taste test, at least 9 out of 10 would choose a pie reheated in a convection oven in preference to a microwave oven.
Fully agree :thumb:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I knew this had been discussed before. 'British Food' page 7.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=39361&p=546092&hil ... es#p546092
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

This provides all you need to know about reheating pastry
https://foodsguy.com/how-to-reheat-puff ... tter-what/
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

It's a good thing I didn't ask about tying shoelaces, who knows what variations would arise? 🤐

I'll go with the oven folks, or rather, my wife will. She hates soggy pastry and not knowing how long to microwave it, could be disappointed. I don't eat that food so it doesn't matter to me, but I don't want to hear her whining.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'd agree with him, but he's talking about puff pastry. The pies we're talking about are usually shortcrust.

However, here's a guy who claims that reheating in a microwave does not cause the crust to go soggy! He wraps it in kitchen towel first. Never tried that.

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It might have helped reduce the “soggy bottom” but it didn’t look very appetising to me - I’ll continue to use an oven!!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

And every time you nuke it with a towel, you have to wash the towel. I'd rather put it in the toaster oven, set the temp. and the timer and come back when the bell rings. Can anyone, who is retired, not wait 30-45 mins. until they eat? If not, have an apple or something.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

You wash your paper towels? That's serious OCD!
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

HHTel wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:35 am You wash your paper towels? That's serious OCD!
:lach: :lach: :lach:

Someone didn't watch the video :naughty: :neener:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:35 am You wash your paper towels? That's serious OCD!
It said, "kitchen towel." I take that to mean a cloth towel. A paper towel is a paper towel.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

sateeb wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:47 am
:lach: :lach: :lach:

Someone didn't watch the video :naughty: :neener:
No, I didn't. I just read what it said.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

/\ Due diligence is the key :cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

handdrummer wrote:
It said, "kitchen towel." I take that to mean a cloth towel. A paper towel is a paper towel.
If it's cloth wouldn't it be a "tea towel"?

Language difference US vs GB.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Very true:

"In Britain, paper towel for kitchen use is also known as kitchen roll, kitchen paper, kitchen towel."

"The term kitchen towel refers to a dish towel in American English (called a tea towel in UK and Canadian English) and to a paper towel in British English."

Two countries separated by one language. (George Bernard Shaw)
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:10 pm
Very true:

"In Britain, paper towel for kitchen use is also known as kitchen roll, kitchen paper, kitchen towel."

"The term kitchen towel refers to a dish towel in American English (called a tea towel in UK and Canadian English) and to a paper towel in British English."

Two countries separated by one language. (George Bernard Shaw)
Why is it called a tea towel? How does it relate to the beverage or the afternoon repast?

Two countries separated by more than only one language.