Cookin Corner

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Cookin Corner

Post by caller »

handdrummer wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:19 pm Why is it called a tea towel? How does it relate to the beverage or the afternoon repast?
Because tea time is when we used to eat dinner! :D

Dinner was eaten at lunch time!! :D :D
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

caller wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:04 pm
handdrummer wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:19 pm Why is it called a tea towel? How does it relate to the beverage or the afternoon repast?

Unless you were late getting home and had it for supper?
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:34 pm

I always thought it was breakfast, morning coffee, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner and supper.
A tea towel is defined as:
Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines a tea towel as "a cloth for drying dishes." Often made of linen, cloth, or a combination of the two, tea towels date back to England in the 18th century, when they were used to insulate tea pots at tea ceremonies (hence the name), dry fine china, and cover baked goods
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

lindosfan1 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:17 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:34 pm

I always thought it was breakfast, morning coffee, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner and supper.
A tea towel is defined as:
Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines a tea towel as "a cloth for drying dishes." Often made of linen, cloth, or a combination of the two, tea towels date back to England in the 18th century, when they were used to insulate tea pots at tea ceremonies (hence the name), dry fine china, and cover baked goods
"drying dishes." That's the one I was referring to. But--------------Merriam-Webster is an American dictionary. Counts for naughty in Olde Blighty.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

It certainly does not take much to get you 'ol boys into a pishing contest does it?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

centermid7 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:09 am It certainly does not take much to get you 'ol boys into a pishing contest does it?
It’s more interesting than talking about Covid
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:37 am
centermid7 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:09 am It certainly does not take much to get you 'ol boys into a pishing contest does it?
It’s more interesting than talking about Covid
That's the truth.

At least a dish (tea) towel is something solid.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:24 pm However, here's a guy who claims that reheating in a microwave does not cause the crust to go soggy! He wraps it in kitchen towel first. Never tried that.
Wanting something quick and simple this evening, I've just tried it - I can confirm it works :D
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Never made Mulled Wine (Gluwein) before. Drank plenty of it. However I had a go today. It got a 'wow' from everyone that tried it. Not cheap though, but very worth it.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

HHTel wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:54 pm Never made Mulled Wine (Gluwein) before. Drank plenty of it. However I had a go today. It got a 'wow' from everyone that tried it. Not cheap though, but very worth it.
Recipe perhaps....?

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Seems to be a hundred ways to make it. My effort:
Half a cup of caster sugar
Half a doz black peppercorns
2 or 3 cloves
A couple of star anise
A cinnamon stick
A pinch or two of ground ginger
Orange peel from a large orange (minus the pith)

Stick all that in a pot and pour enough red wine to disolve the sugar. Heat it but don't boil.
Once the sugar has disolved add the rest of a bottle of red
About a third of a cup of Cointreau (or similar)

Give it a good stir, put the lid on and let it steep on a very low heat for 20 mins. You can do for longer but I'd say at least 20 mins. Don't let it bubble as that will boil off the alcohol.

Taste test. More sugar if it's a little bitter.

Good stir and it's done. I pass mine through a fine sieve although you can just ladle it.

All done in about half an hour. My lot loved it although I drank most of it. Not sure when I fell asleep but I woke about half an hour ago (5am) fully clothed on the sofa. Quite a potent drink but easily drunk!!

EDIT: Thinking of my next batch, I might add a few slices of fruit - maybe apple and orange.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

HHTel wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:54 pm Never made Mulled Wine (Gluwein) before. Drank plenty of it. However I had a go today. It got a 'wow' from everyone that tried it. Not cheap though, but very worth it.
I made, and drank, gallons of the stuff at this time last year during lockdown. The recipe was similar to yours except I used nutmeg instead of peppercorns and fresh ginger.
Actually in Europe it was ridiculously cheap to make because I used rotgut Portugese red wine from the box which is 10 Euro for 5L, with all the spices and sugar, you can't taste the wine anyway!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^^ Going to have to give it a go - cheers guys!! :thumb:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I thought I’d have a go at making some sausage rolls as it’s a typical food eaten on Boxing Day in the UK and we’re getting close - they turned out pretty good, even if I say so myself!!Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:28 pm I thought I’d have a go at making some sausage rolls as it’s a typical food eaten on Boxing Day in the UK and we’re getting close - they turned out pretty good, even if I say so myself!!Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes they do look good, we'll come round on boxing day to taste them :wink: :wink: :laugh: