Cookin Corner

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

richard,
You are not only limited to the ones presented om HHAD - you can get emoticons all over the place and add them to your message using the Img command above what you type when you make a new post. Just find one you want to use and paste the link into your message, select the link and then click on Img. It has to be the url for just the image you want though or it won't work.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

An example sort of linked to this thread...
Arcadian
Ace
Ace

Cookin corner

Post by Arcadian »

Banned after 2 days, is this a record? Anyway, for all sorts of recipes log on to UKTVfood.co.uk
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Wanderlust wrote:An example sort of linked to this thread...

Or try this.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8991
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Or we all could get back to suggesting recipes. :idea:
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

Can we get back on topic now please.
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

The topic was about starting a section, not using this thread. :idea:
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

JD I hate your avatar
just as I looked at this post I had the same thing on the right side of the screen, but this was real
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

BaaBaa. wrote:The topic was about starting a section, not using this thread. :idea:
:lach: Oh how true - but isn't there a section with the word 'food' in it? That would seem mildly relevant. Why doesn't someone just start a thread there, and if it takes off it can be made a 'sticky'?

Mind you, the bookswap thread was 'unstickied' for some reason, and now someone has to start a new thread every time they want to arrange one!

Not that I'd ever criticise a mod's decision, of course... :D :cheers:
This is the way
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

BaaBaa. wrote:The topic was about starting a section, not using this thread. :idea:
That's why it was a suggestion. :idea:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Here's an easy one for lovers of okra:
Chop the okra into about half inch pieces. Put a teaspoon of whole cumin seeds into 4 tablespoons of hot oil. After they start smelling, chuck in 2 teaspoons of ground cumin seeds, one of ground coriander seeds, half of turmeric, 7 odd cloves of garlic and fresh chili to taste.
After a minute add okra, one teaspoon of sugar and a bit of lime juice. Add 4 tablespoons of water, seal the saucepan tightly, turn heat to low and let it all cook for 10 mins or so.
Easy peasy. I did it this morning in a half an hour with a hangover :cheers:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I'm moving this thread to "Feeding Time".
PET
Legend
Legend

Larp of Chang Mai ( farang taste )

Post by PET »

I hope you all enjoy:-

Ingredients

1lb minced chicken/pork
1 stalk lemon grass finely chopped
3 kaffir lime leaves finely chopped
5 red chillies finely chopped ( optional to keep seeds, I do)
4 tbsp fresh lime juice
2 tbsp fish sauce
3 tbsp roasted ground rice
3 spring onions chopped ( include green stalk)
2 tbsp coriander leaves
Mixed salad leaves, cucumber & tomato slices.
A few sprigs of mint to garnish

Heat non stick wok or similar fring pan, add chicken and a little water. Then stir for about 8 minutes until cooked.

Transfer cooked chicken to a large bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Mix thoroughly.

Serve on a bed of mixed salad leaves with slices of cucumber and tomato, then garnish with sprigs of mint.

Many readers will know this but perhaps newer arrivals will enjoy a meal that takes less than 15 minutes to prepare and serve.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Cookin Corner

Post by margaretcarnes »

Back on track then are we? :wink:
This one is easy for both sexes. Good in hot weather when you want a snack, and easily altered. Basically a smorresbrod. Toast topped with sliced hard boiled egg and cooked prawns. Garnish with mayo, hummus, raita, plain yoghurt, or even salad cream if you must! Sliced cucumber/tomatoes. A sprinkle of black pepper or paprika. Slice of lemon/lime to squeeze. Easy peasy.

Or baked jacket spuds. Can be filled with all sorts of things like baked beans, cream cheese, egg or minced meat mixtures. Curry powder and chillies optional. Topped with grated cheese and shoved under the grill to finish (if you have a grill.)

Stuffed bell peppers - pretty much same as the spuds but blanche the peppers first, then halve and stuff them with minced meat/rice/spice mixtures and finish in oven or under grill.

All ingredients available in HH. Most very cheap. Even SM could manage this stuff and avoid all the nasty additives alledged to be contained in Mama noodles! :cheers:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Here's a versatile little dip/sauce I thought up the other night as I find the "bang,bang pork " (schnitzels) that the girls like so much a little bland .

Small pot of sour cream or creme fraiche
grated zest of a lemon
juice of the lemon
2 dessert spoons of small capers
thyme,parsley and white pepper to taste

Mix it all together and chill

Dollop on the schnitzels or pork medallions .Delicious .

Having only made it once it gave me a host of new ideas .

Swap the thyme for sage that has been bruised and bubbled gently in apple juice or sweet cider to make a liquor that replaces the lemon .

Swap the thyme for dill to serve with hot or cold salmon

Caramelise some apple slices in the pan juices with a little sugar or honey, whilst the medallions rest, then flambe with armangac or calvados and add the mixture,stirring quickly once the alcohol burns off .Bring to a bubble and remove from heat,still stirring when the sauce has changed colour 80% of the way through .Same way you would a whiskey cream sauce .Should be good with spinach and crispy roast potatoes .

The mixture went down a storm on a smoked chicken and rocket salad ciabatta sandwiches the next day as well .

:D :cheers:

Crazy 88