Perfume

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Perfume

Post by sandman67 »

Ok, one for the ladies

Is there a shop in town that sells legit perfume, particularly Kenzo and Gaultier?

Apparently there isnt in Market Village...I just spent a frustrating hour trying to find one.

Some hope....

Or do I add perfume to the ever increasing list of stuff that cant be bought in Hua Hin.

:idea:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

I always get my perfume at the airport or in Bangkok in one of the department stores.

there is some perfume for sale in The Old Shopping Mall but I would not trust it as it is always so warm in there and this is not good for perfume especially if the turnover is not too high
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

The little wife on her last trip to LOS went to a large store in BKK and bought some Opium perfume for herself and Cool Water for me, thinking it was the real McCoy.

Well, when back in the UK, we discovered that neither were real when compared to the bottles she had purchased in our local department stores in London. :(

We have vowed NEVER to buy perfume or aftershave in Thailand again but bring it from the UK.

SM67 let us know if you do manage to find the real thing in Hua Hin.

:cuss: Rant over. :cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
kitechick
Amateur
Amateur

Post by kitechick »

The only place I know of selling legit perfume is Boots the chemist in Market Village right at the back of the store on the left in a locked cabinet, not much choice however. I am not sure about the one near the night market as I don't go in that one. A little bit more pricey than the airport but your best bet in Hua HIn
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Perfume

Post by margaretcarnes »

I tend to agree with Khundon - best not to spend a lot on perfume anywhere in LOS, or trust it's authenticity.
I didn't notice any expensive ones in the small branch of Boots near the nightmarket last year, but wasn't really looking either. Boots 'own brand' cosmetics in their LOS stores I have always found OK, particularly the lippies. It should be safe to assume their perfumes are also genuine, but liquids are much easier to fake.
HuaHin Mall does carry fake cosmetics - where else would you find a Dior lip gloss fo 4 quid? But some of it can still be pretty good. Having said that the retail prices for some brand perfumes are too high to take risks with.
As pointed out already the store temperature won't help regardless of whether the smellies are genuine or not. Strangely enough though I once kept a genuine bottle of Dior in my fridge and it went off!
So while it's nice to dream of getting the genuine article in LOS I think in reality it's maybe best to find an acceptable cheap 7Eleven smelly, in a small bottle which will be used quickly, and not 'go off'
After all - do men really know the difference? :duck:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Khundon1975 wrote:The little wife........................
You dark horse KD...... :wink: :naughty:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

The only place I know of selling legit perfume is Boots the chemist in Market Village right at the back of the store on the left in a locked cabinet,
Not any more
After all - do men really know the difference?
Yes....and more to the points so does Mrs S....... damn!!!!!
Or do I add perfume to the ever increasing list of stuff that cant be bought in Hua Hin.
Looks like its a YES then.....

I'll add it to
subtitled Thai DVDs;
any specific album (particularly by a Thai artist such as Bawee, Carabao or Job2Do) as opposed to the shitty karaoke vcd remix versions or worse any shite put out by True/Akadamyeee Fanatziahhhh talentless pricks which have racks and racks dedicated to them;
reliable stable ADSL internet;
the ability to order spare parts from bike shops;
basic mechanicing knowledge;
the truth;
basic tools such as a set of feeler gauges or spark plug copper brush;
decent electrical gear like a normal simple kettle that works for more than two weeks out of the box;
paint that is the colour indicated on the outside of the tin.

this is a list in progress it seems

Ah well....no biggie. Ill get some when I go back to Hell for a business trip in sept.

Thanks guys

:cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Have you tried the Lacoste shop SM?

I know you wont get Kenzo or Gaultier but the "Touch of Pink" is popular.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

My g/f doesn't wear perfume, lipstick or slap any other 'slime' on her face, for which I'm grateful. Nor do I, for which she's not. When I describe my natural scent as 'essence of summer meadows' she curls up into the foetal position. :D

Times have changed. As a lout I wore Hai Karate (which is still being passed around the family each Christmas), Brut and sprayed some god-awful crap on myself called 'Lynx'. Later, I worked for 6 years as the IT manager for a cosmetics manufacturer and used to bring home plastic bottles full of Estee Lauder, Gorgio and Body Shop products. My wife never used them. They weren't in the expensive packaging and I hadn't paid a fortune for them. :shock: :?

A light touch is ok if it's good quality but I'll never understand the ladies who slap the stuff on with a trowel. The ladies in the perfume departments look like featureless aliens and when I pass a lady wearing the cheaper perfume, it's like being gassed with roach spray.

Just playing, margaret :wink:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

If you look around in the Thai shops, you should be able to find 'Ice Cologne" for men, made by St. Lukes. Same company who makes the prickly heat soap, also great and well worth the cost of I think 12-15 baht a bar, and prickly heat powder, I think 35 Baht a can?

25 Baht a bottle for the cologne and the best I've ever used after a shave. No heavy scent, but enough of something to totally refresh your face and everything down to your toes. Splash some under your arms as well and get ready for lift off. Has a blue label. Don't confuse with St. Luke's green label 'after shave' as not too good. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Issey Miyake, My personal favourite.

Arcadian
Ace
Ace

Perfume

Post by Arcadian »

Last year we visited a perfume factory in Grasse in the South of France, apparantly the perfume capital of the world. They distil essences from all over the world and it takes a 1000kg (1 ton) of jasmine blooms to make 1 litre of essence. It takes 7/10 years to become a master parfumier, and they do not drink, smoke or eat spicy foods. One reason why genuine perfume is so expensive. They recommend keeping the bottle in its box as it deteriorates in light conditions.
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Post by charlesh »

"Ice cologne" by St Lukes - could have sworn I smelt and tasted some in the last bottles of Singha and Mae Kong last week!

PS good idea to keep GOOD perfume in the fridge to minimise evaporation.

PPS I thought perfume was developed to disguise objectionable body odours. What's wrong with washing with soap??
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Re: Perfume

Post by MrPlum »

Arcadian wrote:Last year we visited a perfume factory in Grasse in the South of France,
Nice place. I motorcycled over the Alps and down through Sisteron to Grasse on my way to Portugal. France in Summer is beautiful. :thumb:
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

spitfire wrote:
Khundon1975 wrote:The little wife........................
You dark horse KD...... :wink: :naughty:
8) spitfire

I don't know what you mean Spitfire, I have always confessed to having a wife, I have to, as I hate hospital food. :oops:

Why am I "dark horse"?? after all I have mentioned her in many of my posts. :cheers:

Mr P

"My g/f doesn't wear perfume, lipstick or slap any other 'slime' on her face, for which I'm grateful. Nor do I, for which she's not. When I describe my natural scent as 'essence of summer meadows' she curls up into the foetal position".

I saw a summer meadow the other day, full of cows crapping. That may account for the foetal position your good lady adopted. :D
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.