UK TV series on tourism in Thailand

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
caller
Hero
Hero

UK TV series on tourism in Thailand

Post by caller »

Hope this is okay to post here - one for the UK based members only.

Seems like a TV channel got involved with the tourist Police around LOS - the series lasts for several weeks, to be featured on Bravo from early September. It looks interesting.

I shamelessly nicked the link from a thread on Thailand-UK, so I don't know why it appears to be American?

Bravo U.K. Slates Doc Series on Thai Tourist Police
By Mansha Daswani
Published: August 20, 2009
LONDON: The fall schedule on Bravo U.K. will be led by the new eight-part documentary series Big Trouble in Tourist Thailand, launching on the male-skewing channel on September 7.

Slated in a 10 p.m. slot, the original commission promises unprecedented behind-the-scenes access to Thailand's tourist police force—those charged with policing Westerners unfamiliar with the country's customs and laws. The show follows three specially recruited British expats who are part of the force. The show, filmed in tourist hotspots like Phuket, Bangkok, Pattaya and Chang Mai, features previously unseen rescue scenes following the crash of a Bangkok Airways crash in Koh Samui, as well as other incidents involving tourists in Thailand. In addition to following the Tourist Police, the series features the Royal Navy Military Police, the British Consulate, SWAT teams and Thai Emergency Services.

Daniela Neumann, the director of programming for Virgin1, noted: "This show is a powerful reminder of the hidden dangers and high drama that happens in what is one of the U.K.'s favorite dream holiday hotspots. In a British first, Bravo cameras will allow viewers an unprecedented and hard hitting insight into the inner workings of the Thai authorities, the Brits that are working for them, and the harsh reality of breaking the law there.’

The series is being produced by Vera Productions, which filmed the Tourism Police over the course of 15 weeks.

http://worldscreen.com/articles/display/22168
Talk is cheap
Arcadian
Ace
Ace

UK tv series on tourist police in Thailand

Post by Arcadian »

This Bravo tv series due to begin on Monday follows Western uniformed volunteers who work with the tourist police in Bangkok, Pattaya and Chang Mai. Does this volunteer organization exist in Hua Hin?
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: UK tv series on tourist police in Thailand

Post by Khundon1975 »

Arcadian wrote:This Bravo tv series due to begin on Monday follows Western uniformed volunteers who work with the tourist police in Bangkok, Pattaya and Chang Mai. Does this volunteer organization exist in Hua Hin?

No, thank God. :wink:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Hmmm, not pleasant viewing!

Mind you, I was jumping between this and an excellent documentory on 9/11 with new footage and just New Yorkers narrating as things unfolded from their various view points and in many cases, own amateur filming.

Kind of interesting timing with the guilty verdicts in the UK of the guys that planned major carnage in the skies between the UK and the Americas - the reason we have difficulties taking fluids on a plane these days.
Talk is cheap
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

an excellent documentory on 9/11
This was really powerful and very wachable. Cracking documentary... :shock:
www.35mmview.com
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I agree RC, and as so much was contemporaneous, all the more beguiling - the rumour going around it was BA flights, the many eye-witnesses who saw the planes, those that didn't just hearing explosions, the jumpers, the pity for those trapped, the shock, the stoicism witnessed everywhere (something we Brits are so used to displaying), the eventual anger and the fireman just heading to their deaths.

Powerful real-life, tragic stuff.
Talk is cheap
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Re: UK TV series on tourism in Thailand

Post by Vital Spark »

caller wrote:Hope this is okay to post here - one for the UK based members only.
Not necessarily Caller. Those of us in the know can download almost anything that you watch from 'The Box'. I'm seriously thinking about cancelling my hugely expensive UBC connection and just watching stuff I've downloaded. OK, it may be a day later but it's far better quality (especially F1).

Just had a look at the download site and Bravo U.K. isn't there yet - I'm sure it'll pop up in the next day or so.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

For those that have not found a link to download this, try here.

http://www.uknova.com/wsgi/torrent/view/83544
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

That links asking to login JD.

There's one HERE though.

:cheers:
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

BaaBaa. wrote:That links asking to login JD.
Well you need to sign up and join their forum, it's all free and you get many UK TV shows to download, on the following day after screening in the UK. :thumb:
Per Angusta In Augusta.
www.hamandbacon.co.th
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

caller wrote:Hmmm, not pleasant viewing!

Mind you, I was jumping between this and an excellent documentory on 9/11 with new footage and just New Yorkers narrating as things unfolded from their various view points and in many cases, own amateur filming.

Kind of interesting timing with the guilty verdicts in the UK of the guys that planned major carnage in the skies between the UK and the Americas - the reason we have difficulties taking fluids on a plane these days.
Any idea what this was called so that I can keep an eye open for it on the net?
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Hi JG,

I don't know if this link will work for you over there?

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/102- ... od#2934610

But if you put the programme title into google - "102 minutes that changed America" - you will get lots of links.

Heres the Times comments on the film:

9/11: 102 Minutes That Changed America

Channel 4, 9pm

As you watch the footage taken by more than 100 eyewitnesses who grabbed their cameras as the twin towers burnt, the horror of that day comes flooding back. There is no commentary. Instead, there are shocked reactions from onlookers, snatches of news broadcasts, one-way conversations into mobile phones, shouted orders from the emergency services and frantic wireless chatter. One man says: “The smell is unbelievable. The smell of burning wire and metal.” Some of the footage is familiar — people staring heavenwards, the tsunami of dust and debris billowing down the streets as the towers collapse and the ghostly figures appearing through an Arctic landscape. But then there is the shocking detail. Small scraps of burning paper. Abandoned fruit stalls. Frightened faces inside a lift in a neighbouring building. It still transfixes and appals.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 817356.ece
Talk is cheap
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

There is a programme starting now (21:00) on 'more 4' Playing all the last phone calls from the Twin Towers.

Apparently this is the first time it has been shown on TV.

Heavy shit!!!... :cry:
www.35mmview.com
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

Randy Cornhole wrote:There is a programme starting now (21:00) on 'more 4' Playing all the last phone calls from the Twin Towers.

I downloaded that today. Very moving indeed. Lots of relatives of the victims kept the recorded messages of love and find them quite empowering when they listen to them again.

What struck me the most was the realisation of the fact that those relatives that received the calls were also watching the sad events of the day live on TV. The horror of realising that when the towers collapsed they were witnessing the death of their loved ones.

Such a terrible event, my prayers go out to all those affected by 9-11, right across the world.
Per Angusta In Augusta.
www.hamandbacon.co.th
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Randy Cornhole wrote:There is a programme starting now (21:00) on 'more 4' Playing all the last phone calls from the Twin Towers.

RC

Heavy shit indeed, my wife burst into tears, so we turned it off. :cry:

I remember some time ago, listening to the descriptions of phone calls made to loved ones, from some passengers of the planes involved.

How did these poor souls spend their last few minutes, knowing they were helpless and going to die.

Five years on and it still haunts me when I hear those ATC officers in New York talking in disbelief to other radar stations and to the US Air force officers on the ground.

The tragedy is, that these fanatics won't stop at the Twin Towers. Sooner or later, somewhere, there will be another large attack.

If I may copy a line from JD's post that says it all for me.

"Such a terrible event, my prayers go out to all those affected by 9-11, right across the world".
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.