Driving me crazy!

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Driving me crazy!

Post by Randy Cornhole »

I know this subject has come up before but sheer inner turmoil compels me to vent my spleen!
Do Thai's ever open their bloody eyes when driving?
Are they all complete idiots?
The answer to these and many other driving analagies is YES YES and thrice YES.
I can barely type anymore i'm sooooo angry.
Dear god in heaven, babies dangling off bikes with no protection, Dogs tied with carrier bags hanging off mirrors, AAARRRGGGHHH.
Six people on one tiny scooter, a bastard fridge, a chest of drawers!!
Three yes three hugh gas bottles (if this thing crashes a goodly portion of Hua Hin evaporates)
I was actually run off the road the ather day by a sodding big blue and white bus just because they diddn't want to slow down when someone was turning right. "somong Kwai"
A standard sight would be a 30 year old bike of mixed origin held together with buddha strings and spit, making the sound of an ageing jet fighter whilst emitting great plumes of acrid multi coloured smoke, being ridden by a wizzened Yoda figure with flailing buddha's no crash helmet carrying his 30 stone granny in the basket!
I'm actually laughing now it's so funny. :D
So here's what they do - Buy a brand new honda, throw away the mirrors (why would they need them?) Black out the indicators (they never use these either) Put on an aftermarket exhaust pipe with no baffle. Spend an inordinate ammount of money on coloured nuts bolts, shock springs and light covers, add a seat cover with a picture of a scorpion on it and voila - rolling death.
As for the cars.....sigh :(
actually writing this has been quite theraputic I don't feel so bad now just perplexed.
Seriously though you need the reactions of Spider man the power of Lee Majors (the Bionic man) and the smiling grace of Thora Hird just to go to the seven eleven.
In the immortal words of Shaw Taylor "keep em peeled"
:thumb:
www.35mmview.com
Dara
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dara »

Randy - Saw your other posting on Cha-am where you mentioned cycling - yes, you definitely could be run off the road by big trucks. As it takes very little brain to drive a car, too many ignorant people do it. It happens where else as well. When we drove across the US this time, we found that those big truck had no regards for anyone else on the road. They are the "king of the road" and proud to show it.

As for the other stuff that you mentioned, it happens in a lot of under developed and developing countries - people find wheels and they hop on any old ways and just hope that they get where they want to go. It's tragedy waiting to happen.

A wise friend who had lived in Singapore sums it up for me - in Singapore, you can live a "high standard" life, but you have to put up with the strict rules. In Thailand, you get to live a "highly individualistic" life, but you have to put up with all that you don't quite agree with. He prefers Thailand, and so do I....
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

True True True!
All that can be suggested is that you use the driver training you received prior to your driving test in the civilized world
And maybe get some eyes tattooed on your ass and use them (you need these more than ever here on the road)
Buddha takes care of everyone who has some dangly stuff on their bikes you should know this by now (even though he doesn’t)
Drive safe every one!!!!!!!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"
Stormy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Stormy »

During traveling around Sri Lanka last year, i think i have figured out why Thai's and other buddhist drivers do this (I am mad but not mad enough to try and drive myself around there) started every journey, along with most other drivers with a quick donation to the road side temple then promptly set off like a maniac possessed. After speaking to him about it, they sincerely believed that the few coins he put into the temple slot meant he was now 100% protected from accidents on the road!!! After pointing out later that we had seen 4 accidents, he simply shrugged and thought that they had obviously not made the donation that morning
Mature student (Geology) lives with girlfriend and likes the usual guy stuff
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Agree with the above. I'm just about recovered from a bad accident over two months ago. The driver of the car that hit us simply didn't look when turning right off the main road. I'm sure he'd been drinking as well. I was screaming for the police in the hospital before I went in for an operation. By the time it was over, I was so full of pain killers and anaesthetic, I wasn't up to much until the next day. He'd managed to persuade the gf not to call the local constabulary. Lucky git.
If the old bill were actually out there doing their jobs at night, maybe a lot of accidents could be avoided. :guns: :guns:
buksida

Thai drivers .... nutters.

Post by buksida »

When you look at the test they have to do its not difficult to see why none of them can drive properly. A pathetic written test where they're told the answers after getting the questions wrong for the fifth time. "Park on this line please .... go backwards a little please .... okay heres your license, get out there and maim someone."

And those are the ones that actually have licenses!

I usually kind of classify the drivers here into the following categories:

The Bangkokian: These Benz driving road hogs expect everyone to move for them and think nothing of leaving their car parked in the the middle of the road while the gold laden wife runs into the shop to get some sweets for their fat pasty white kids.

The Trucker: Driving a 25 year old ten wheeler and buzzing on Red Bull these nutters take great amusement in over taking their mates on a steep gradient at 30kph by pulling out infront of a car approaching at four times the speed forcing the driver to stomp hard on the brakes, locking the wheels, and giving the poor motorist a coronary.

The Mother: While still figuring how to get out of second gear they approach the school at a steady 25kph and begin to rejoice at the fact that their Toyota Wish is far nicer that the woman's across the street who has also driven 500 meters to drop her kids off.

The Deliverer: Faster that Carl Fogarty and twice as dangerous these guys are either laden with pizza, propane or an entire furniture store. They will get to their destination in the fastest possible time with no regard for life or limb.

The Pickup: Now it would be unfair to classify all pickup drivers the same but its more often than not that you see these nutters barrelling down the highway on the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic just because they couldn't be arsed to drive up to the next u-turn.

The Impatient: These fools will drive 5mm from your bumper and even undertake you in the motorcycle lane on a single lane highway to get an extra few metres ahead. Often forcing oncoming motorists off the road in their attempt to beat the traffic in their great rush to fuck knows where.

There are more out there ...
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Everything everyone has said is true but, Thai driving styles are predictable and after awhile you know what to look out for and how to tune your defensive mechanism. However, up here in pattaya land what scares the begeeeezus out of me are the foreign drivers. You have 2 week tourists who rent motorbikes and do not have a clue what to do and usually drive so slow they cause accidents and jams. You have the young tourist who rent a 750 or 1000cc racing bike and tear around town as if he owns it. Three of these type were killed these past few months by running broadside into a turning truck or car. Then last but not least, you have the foreign resident who thinks he is Thai and can drive like one with the mentality "go ahead and hit me..." as he makes a right hand turn in the face of approaching cars. Thai's I can handle. The farang's make me sweat. Pete
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

The locals have very little concern for what we would consider safe driving habits. Like the guy the other day (in Bangkok traffic!) with his 4-year old son sitting in his lap and helping his father STEER the car!

In the days before seatbelts became mandatory, I had a difficult time trying to get my wife to put on a seat belt - I used to feel naked without one. These days, I don't move until the kids in the back have also strapped themselves in. In a similar vein, an English teacher I knew back then got into a cab. On seeing that the cab actually had seatbelts in it, he automatically reached out and put it on, even though it was not the law then. The taxi driver gave him a strange look, but didn't say anything. It was only much later, when in the washroom, straightening his tie, did he notice this wide, black diagonal stripe on his shirt in the approximate position of the seat belt...

I have to agree that after a while, the driving styles become somewhat predictable, so I adjust my 'double-defensive' driving style to accomodate. This style assumes that everyone else around you is going to do something stupid, and you have half an eye open to avoiding it. Go with the flow, try not to fight it. The locals have their own way of dealing with (local) smart-asses, unfortunately quite often adding to the carnage.
You have 2 week tourists who rent motorbikes and do not have a clue what to do and usually drive so slow they cause accidents and jams.
And unfortunately agree that the two-week tourists add a lot more carnage than they really should.
Then last but not least, you have the foreign resident who thinks he is Thai and can drive like one with the mentality "go ahead and hit me..." as he makes a right hand turn in the face of approaching cars.
But I don't think you should tar all the foreign residents with the same brush. Yes, the driving style really annoys me, but it does not mean I have to participate. The temptation is strong, though. If you paid for and own your own vehicle, you tend to be a lot more careful than those with the company rides. Restraint. restraint. Hmmm. Why does my steering wheel look like a pretzel? Restraint. Ommm....

There is a 'Traffic Park' somewhere in Bangkok for the kids. They teach the kids about all the different road signs and paint on the road, then put them in this park that has all these roads, signs etc with either a bicycle or a pedal car. The course lasts two days, they have an exam with a certificate, and are graded on how they negotiate the course. A small step in the right direction?

By the way, the Benz drivers in $ingapore are just as bad, if not worse. Actually, any driver there these days as it is so expensive to own a car there. You actually have to bid for the right to own a car! At least in Thailand most drivers give way, and are not vindictive. Not so in Singapore.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You're right, I shouldn't paint all with the same brush and I really don't. It's the older retirees that scare me the most. Pattaya is starting to look like a mini Miami Beach with the amount of foreign retirees here. There are plenty in their late 60's and 70's that tear around town on a Honda Phantom and some even on big Harley's. They are living life with gusto and somewhat reckless abandonment that's for sure. Beats a nursing home I guess. ..LOL. Cheers. Pete
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

I was targeted the other day for tooting a car when it pulled out on me while I was on my motorbike. The idiot came past me at about 100kms missing me by about a foot!!
When I told my thai girlfriend about this she replied " why did you not get out of his way in the first place he big man he have car you only on motorbike" :|
What can you do....... :shock:
www.35mmview.com