Vets

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Vets

Post by barrys »

After my previous thread about incompetent vets concerning the death of my 2 best friends .... now a rather bitter-sweet story:

We recently started keeping a few goats at our place here in Paknampran.
We have also been looking after some goats for a friend, making a total of 9 goats up to this morning.

I was awoken at 3 a.m. this morning by desperate bleating and a lot of dog-barking behind the house.
When I got up to investigate, I found a pack of dogs had got in and were savaging the goats.
4 already lay dead and, after we had dispersed and got rid of the dogs with the help of a BB gun, we searched for the other 5 goats.
We found 3 of them cowering together with obvious wounds and then, later, the other 2 scared but unscathed.
We'd obviously just got there as the group of 3 were in the process of being savaged.

After we had carried them to the dog pen for safety, we discoverd that two of them had partly (very) severe bites to their neck, legs, back and abdomen.

On the advice of our maid, we called a vet in Paknampran who also operates a mobile service.
He arrived within 1 hour and set up a makeshift operating theatre in our car port.
He examined the 3 injured goats and found that 2 of them had numerous wounds that required stitching.
He administered antiseptic and rabies injections to all 3.
The 2 badly injured animals were given an anaesthetic and had 22 wounds stitched between the 2 of them, after shaving and cleaning the wound areas.

We then asked him if he could sterilise our female cat.
During the operation he established that she was pregnant but her 2 kittens has already died inside her. This means that without surgical intervention she would have died within a short period of time.
He removed the dead foetuses and completed the operation.

As our female puppy is now almost 6 months old, we asked the vet if he would sterilise her too.
This he did, and there were no complications.

He also gave our Husky a quick check-over.

All 4 animals that were sedated now appear to be coming round and my gf and the maid have them under observation (though we are very concerned about the state of Nancy, our first pet goat, who suffered the worst injuries).

As the vet started to write his bill, I started to become a bit apprehensive.

I needn't have worried, though!
The cost for all the above, together with the saline drip during the sterilisation operations, amounted to a total of 2,260 baht - including call-out service.
The vet was here for nearly 5 hours!!

He is a very nice, quietly spoken man (around 40).
His name is Khun Chatchai Chaowang and his mobile no. is 087-7579293. He also has a clinic in Paknampran close to the fishing pier.
I'm afraid he doesn't speak English, but he certainly appears to be very professional.

I asked him if he is prepared to travel to Hua Hin with his mobile service and he said it was no problem.
If anyone does need his services and cannot find anyone to speak to him in Thai, we would be only too happy to help with the communication side of things.

Without his help, things would have certainly been a whole lot worse today!!

Glück im Unglück or, as we say in West Cork, 'sure it could've been worse'
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

"Glück im Unglück or, as we say in West Cork, 'sure it could've been worse' "

A great pity that you could not spell that "Glock"! The problem with mongrel dog packs is that once they have got a taste of blood there is only one way to stop them, and a BB gun is not going to do it.

I think that if it was me that I would be asking an off duty MIB if he would like some overtime. They will be back for sure, as long as you have the goats. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!