Nong-Or Water World

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Nong-Or Water World

Post by Terry »

A 170km 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive North (Past Ratcheburi & heading towards Kanchanaburi) gets you to this freshwater fish paradise.

I'e been visiting there for a couple of years now - and know some of the fish breeders and suppliers quite well.

If you want ANYTHING to do with aquarium supplies, pumps, filters and of course fish then I recommend the place for a day out.

The travel costs are far outweighed by the savings that you will make if you're buying. In some cases, it's 4 - 5 times cheaper than suppliers in Hua Hin

There is a large aquarium there with a reasonable showing of Thai freshwater fish. You can get up close and personal with a couple of Arapaima and Freshwater Stingray as well as Pacu and others.

An interesting few hours for the kids.

Google Earth location map given below

A couple of Arapaima - about 80-90 Kg each + a Freshwater Stingray at about 30Kg

Feeding the Stingray.........

A nice Pacu - around 15 Kg

buksida

Post by buksida »

Took the kids up there yesterday as we had to re-stock the 110 gal tank. The fish market is great, its like a Makro for tropical fish, you can by them in bulk at a fraction of the cost of anywhere in Hua Hin.

There is also the water park, a small butterfly park, a couple of baby crocs and a snake farm with a knowledgeable guru that explains which ones are venomous and why people shouldn't blindly kill snakes.

Well worth a day trip.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Sounds cool! Those Arrapina were 90kg............. bloody hell thats massive! Do they attack people???
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

JW

Arapaima

Despite their massive size - can grow to 250Kg or so - they are extremely agile.

I watched them being fed by the same guy feeding the Ray. I tried to get a photo of the sudden movement of these huge fish but they were simply just too damn fast.

We have 4 of these chappies at the Lodge. 'Arry - our 55-60Kg celeb + 3 younger ones between 17 & 21 Kg.

These fish pack on the weight at the rate of 2-3 kg / month.

A couple of weeks ago, when 'Arry was last caught, my lead baitman - ever the poser - gave 'Arry a kiss on the flank twice - for the camera.

'Arry returned the compliment with a Glasgow Kiss - loosening a tooth and fattening the lip of my baitman. :shock:

So - answering your question - YES 8)