Comodo free Internet security suite

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Comodo free Internet security suite

Post by Spitfire »

Just thought I'd mention that have tried it out due to the wife plus her girly mates crashing the house's communual computer through surfing or whatever on the local Thai websites........again. :cuss: :roll: :|

Remember someone saying on the 'Free recommendation software' thread that Comodo did a good firewall so thought I'd have a look.

Appears that they have merged it with their antivirus into a full suite that's also free 8) , but you can turn either or off if you so desire.

Lots of functions and options but not too techy so the average user is fine, interface is easy enough to get used to.

You really can easily control it all.

Must say that I'm pretty impressed with it after a couple of days, maybe it can protect all the casual 'users' at my gaff from themselves. Might have to point out the parental control to them all.

Was using Zonealarm and Avast but will give this a try, all free so can't go wrong and can always go back, but Comodo looks/seems pretty good in the new configuration. I like it.

If you want a peek or download, then try here at CNET............

http://download.cnet.com/Comodo-Interne ... bmitReview

Anyone else tried it or got any opinions on it? :cheers:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
buksida

Re: Comodo free Internet security suite

Post by buksida »

Been using it for a couple of years and find it very reliable and effective at keeping out intrusions and nasties.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

Ditto Busida...
I have been using since first released on a weekly basis.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

What's the footprint and resource usage like compared to the ZoneAlarm/Avast combo?
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Just checked on the laptop running Comodo and Avast. Comodo is running 2 processes (cfp.exe and cmdagent.exe) at a total of about 6-7Mb of memory. Avast is running 2 processes (AvastUI.exe and AvastSVC.exe) at a total of about 5-6Mb of memory.

That is on Vista, Avast services are using 36Mb on XP.

Be aware though that I am only running the bare bones firewall and not the full security suite which will be a lot heavier on resources.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Down loaded this anti virus from this link and now my laptop will not connect to the internet i have also tried deleating it and i have windows firewall disconnected.
I have been on the phone to BT for two hours and have wasted the whole day it wont even connect with a cable they say its a problem with the lap top any ideas please.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Kendo.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Reloaded my dell recovery disc laptop now working but it has reset to factory settings and i have lost all my data and photo's i am not happy.
Just be mindfull if you down load from this link it has cost me a whole 8 hours of messing around and some photo's that where not backed up i did not realise that the disc would wipe all my exsisting files as i did not uninstall anything except Comodo.

Kendo.............. :roll:

BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

kendo wrote:Reloaded my dell recovery disc laptop now working but it has reset to factory settings and i have lost all my data and photo's i am not happy.
The recovery disc is the absolute last resort! What did you expect?
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

No back ups?

I've been the victim of crashes ever since laptops were invented. I'm double backed up. Even remote drives fail so I have learned my lesson (painfully)
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
TimandT
Professional
Professional

Post by TimandT »

Comodo have a data recovery product too
http://www.comodo.com/home/data-storage ... covery.php

Tim
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

With the increased size and ever decreasing prices, I find USB sticks perfect for backing up personal data. I have a 32gb one that holds all my photos (barely).
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I spent 8 hours messing about with that laptop, now when i put the recovery disk in there was no warning that i would loose ever piece of data from my drives it just said that the computer would restart a couple of times, i thought it would give warnings and prompts for each stage.
When the disc started loading 20 minuites later first prompt was for language and the second for date and time and then the last one was to connect wirelessly to my router.

Its easy to say what do you expect but this is the first time i have had a crash like this i lost pictures of my late father and some other special pictures, i have learnt from this and i will be backing up in future to an exturnal hard drive and memory sticks.

Now i know a bit about IT but a qestion for someone that is a bit more in the know, i had Avast anti virus on my computer but it had expired is it possible it could have still been running to a point and when i down loaded Comodo they could have corupted and crashed.
Also i have been told that my data still could be somewhere in the depths of a hard drive does anyone know a good program that can deal with that i would be very greatfull please.

Kendo. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

chopsticks
Guru
Guru

Post by chopsticks »

Running more than one anti-virus program is not advisable.
As for recovering your lost data it may be possible if that part of the hard drive has not been overwritten. Stop using the laptop immediately to avoid any more risk of that happening.
Then take a look at the many disk recovery programs available eg. http://www.computeractive.co.uk/downloa ... d-recovery

There are also other free download programs available and you should be able to recover some or most of what's missing.
Last edited by chopsticks on Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

Kendo
Do not despair -yet!!
I was forced to format my netbook and then like you realised I needed some data.
Firstly do not use the machine for any thing and do not load anything on to it. The format has hopefully moved the data and it still may be recoverable. Once you write over the data it is gone.
I used a program called RECOVER DATA for fat & ntfs trial version. This if you download it will at least look and see if your lost files are still there. I seem to remember there is a limit to how much you are able to recover free of charge. remember though even this program is better downloaded on another machine and used via flash drive. The least you can use the better.
Hope this helps
Last edited by poosmate on Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no more dePreston
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Try them Kendo or take it to your local PC Boffin, they should be recoverable.

Or (sounds stupid and to simple) if you've got Picasa (it's a free download) tell it to find all pics on the laptop, it's worked for me in the past.

Just never put that disc in again, it's the absolute last resort.