Hey you!

Thai language section, ask your language questions here.
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Re: Hey you!

Post by Jimbob »

prcscct wrote:Those of us who are able should perhaps try harder in posting up more information here. Maybe we should resurrect the "Thai Word of the Day" thread as one idea? Pete :cheers:
Yes Pete
I would prefer to drip fed than drowned! :cheers:
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Interesting BG - so Sakdina was abolished in the 30's - did that correspond with the coup and the end of the absolute monarchy?
To abolish Sakdina seems to have been a retrograde step in terms of Society as a whole - at least people could move up (or down as pointed out) on merit. Now, 80 years on, they are presumably stuck with their lot.

(Unless they are called Thaksin of course.) :bow:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Yes, Mags, it was abolished after the coup of -32.

IMHO the sakdina thinking is very closely related to the Thai Buddhism. You gain or lose merit in your present life and will be born to a new life according to that. So your previous life determines your future sakdina.

You can still move up or down in the present day sakdina, the movement is mainly determined by your wealth nowadays. So if you have a an expensive car, you can park it wherever you like, that's your right according to your status. If you have been successful in your business and made a lot of money, you move upwards in the sakdina system.
JoeSchmoe
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoeSchmoe »

Jimbob wrote:So Thai street language or common speak is quickly evolving?
(What is the direct best Thai for Hey you?) :|

What jangles in my ear is the American ghetto 'Yo!' to get attention, a little grating to the my ear but better than 'hey youse' for pural.
Haha most all American's use this term, from all over (even in the Midwest!) And also "what's up?" is a common phrase that confuses many international people because it is more of a hello in America, and doesn't actually require a response so it creates a bit of confusion.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

This thread has been a really enlightening read - possibly the best I have seen for years on this forum. Thanks to everyone who has contributed because I have learned something new from it, in particular to Roel & Bamboo Grove who have really shown the depth of their knowledge in this area of discussion.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: