TV series worth watching/downloading

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
buksida

Re: TV series worth watching/downloading

Post by buksida »

404cameljockey wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:07 am
buksida wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:18 am Enjoying 3 Body though I feel its a little rushed, whereas the novels were more of an epic saga spanning centuries.
Are you talking about Netflix's 3 Body Problem or the Chinese TV adaptation Three-Body? I suppose that particular criticism is true of the latter also, even though it's far superior IMO.

Comments I've seen here seem to generally refer to the Netflix show, but don't use the correct titles. :)
Yes, the Netflix version. It is pretty obvious who the target audience is... not viewers with a science background since most of the key elements and concepts from the books are glossed over. Its more "light entertainment" than the deep thought-provoking material Liu Cixin wrote.

I may give the Chinese version a go ... but not sure I can sit through 30 episodes of subtitles that'll need full reading attention!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

buksida wrote:
buksida wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:18 am Enjoying 3 Body though I feel its a little rushed, whereas the novels were more of an epic saga spanning centuries.
Are you talking about Netflix's 3 Body Problem or the Chinese TV adaptation Three-Body? I suppose that particular criticism is true of the latter also, even though it's far superior IMO.

Comments I've seen here seem to generally refer to the Netflix show, but don't use the correct titles. :)
Yes, the Netflix version. It is pretty obvious who the target audience is... not viewers with a science background since most of the key elements and concepts from the books are glossed over. Its more "light entertainment" than the deep thought-provoking material Liu Cixin wrote.

I may give the Chinese version a go ... but not sure I can sit through 30 episodes of subtitles that'll need full reading attention!
Try the first 2 episodes on YouTube first. I found the subtitles easy to read. YT in 4K too. See how you feel before downloading torrent.

404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

hhinner wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:17 pm
buksida wrote:

Try the first 2 episodes on YouTube first. I found the subtitles easy to read. YT in 4K too. See how you feel before downloading torrent.
For anyone using torrents, I gave a link a while back for the best release (subtitles that cover everything, not just direct dialogue).
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Apologies if this has been mentioned previously.... And sadly I'm old enough to have enjoyed the original with Richard Chamberlain (when we didn't know what a "Mini Series" was... Hell, I think we only had 3 TV channels, no Satellite and no Internet then - how did we survive?!!

Shōgun

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2788316/?r ... 2_q_shogun
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:23 am Apologies if this has been mentioned previously....
Not that I recall, and muchas gracioso mon cher amigo for mentioning it, as I thoroughly enjoyed reading Clancy's Shogun and Asia series (at least twice) and I think I can vaguely remember the Chamberlain mini series. :thumb:

:cheers: :cheers:

{You see? You can be useful occasionally!)
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:41 am I thoroughly enjoyed reading Clancy's Shogun and Asia series (at least twice)
Shite... Now I'm going to have to read again!! :roll: :oops:
dtaai-maai wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:41 am {You see? You can be useful occasionally!)
There are words (I'm sure) that I could use in retort, but as ever, I shall remain silent :neener:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I'm halfway through the first (long) episode, and thoroughly enjoying it, though the copious subtitles make casual watching impossible. The lead role of the English pilot, played by Cosmo Jarvis, who sounds remarkably like Richard Burton!
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

dtaai-maai wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:41 am
pharvey wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:23 am Apologies if this has been mentioned previously....
... I thoroughly enjoyed reading Clancy's Shogun and Asia series (at least twice)
Not Clancy, James Clavell.
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I especially enjoyed his Tai-pan and Noble House novels. It was actually a Hong Kong I could relate to. Don't know if they've made them into films.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Don't think so, but King Rat, set in a Japanese prisoner of war camp, was later filmed starring Steve McQueen
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

dtaai-maai wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:06 pm Don't think so, but King Rat, set in a Japanese prisoner of war camp, was later filmed starring Steve McQueen
... and Noble House was made into a tv series starring Pierce Brosnan.
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Good old Wiki, it turns out that there was also a 1986 film version of Tai-pan, starring Bryan Brown.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:28 pm I especially enjoyed his Tai-pan and Noble House novels. It was actually a Hong Kong I could relate to.
Had not heard of these - and the HK element certainly interests me. Shall visit Annas-Archive!!

Anywho - books rather than TV (my bad) :offtopic: :D
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

pharvey wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:52 pm
PeteC wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:28 pm I especially enjoyed his Tai-pan and Noble House novels. It was actually a Hong Kong I could relate to.
Had not heard of these - and the HK element certainly interests me. Shall visit Annas-Archive!!

Anywho - books rather than TV (my bad) :offtopic: :D
Films/Series as well per DTM above.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:52 pm Had not heard of these - and the HK element certainly interests me. Shall visit Annas-Archive!!
I should warn you: there are no pictures and some of the words are quite long... :duck:
This is the way