TV series worth watching/downloading

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
buksida

Re: TV series worth watching/downloading

Post by buksida »

A couple I've been watching and have lined up ...

For All Mankind - The US and Russia working to colonize Mars in an alternate timeline future. Series 4 now and its still as good as ever.

Fargo has started again with series 5, haven't started it yet but looking forward to if as good as previous seasons.

Beacon 23 - A low-budget sci-fi that is really only worth watching if you have nothing else to watch.

Rebel Moon: Part One - A Child of Fire - a higher-budget sci-fi with a very predictable storyline, worth watching if you liked Rogue One (same director).

Trying to find this but it doesn't seem to exist anywhere (at least not at the usual places) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt21454134/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

buksida wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:21 am Trying to find this but it doesn't seem to exist anywhere (at least not at the usual places) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt21454134/
The Bikeriders not due for release until June this year.

'Workprint' pre-release copies of new films used to be leaked by people working at film studios but didn't see any of those for years now. Guess things got tightened up!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

404cameljockey wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:40 pm
buksida wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:21 am Trying to find this but it doesn't seem to exist anywhere (at least not at the usual places) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt21454134/
The Bikeriders not due for release until June this year.

'Workprint' pre-release copies of new films used to be leaked by people working at film studios but didn't see any of those for years now. Guess things got tightened up!
This is interesting, and poses a BIG question I've been asking myself for many months now.

IMDB gives this movie a rating of 7.6 based on the review of 1001 people. If it isn't being released until June, who is doing these reviews, and how unbiased are they? I've been noticing movies appearing on YIFY with fairly high ratings (I rarely download anything with less than a 7), but by the time I get watching them, the ratings have dropped really low, sometimes 5+.

These advance voters are really distorting reality. It is giving a totally false perspective, and misleading people. A sort of false advertising.
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:17 pm
404cameljockey wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:40 pm
buksida wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:21 am These advance voters are really distorting reality. It is giving a totally false perspective, and misleading people. A sort of false advertising.
Rottentomatoes.com page for The Bikeriders has 35 reviews and details that they have been posted by magazine/newspaper/etc. critics.

I'd trust a site like this over any votes on dodgy websites.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

People had always told me that IMDB was the go-to website.
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:03 pm People had always told me that IMDB was the go-to website.
Certainly not for me. It has a lot of information, in fact too much as all I want to know is the basics. Especially for TV shows (I check UK newspaper TV reviews to see what's coming up), when released, number of series, number of episodes each, what channel. For TV 'next-episode.net' is my go-to, also you can set reminders for date of next episode, if new series ordered, etc. Maybe they're good for films also, don't know but they do have them listed. No reviews, I don't really rely on them, I know what I fancy and only sometimes need to check reviews, for which I'll just do a Google search for well-known reviewers.

I have next-episode.net as a phone app, you can make an account for the episode tracking if you want to.
buksida

Post by buksida »

buksida wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:25 am Heard that The White Lotus season 3 is set in Thailand so decided to find out what all the fuss was about. Must admit, S01E01 wasn't convincing. Its a kind of cheesy American version of Fawlty Towers in the tropics with weak, self-obsessed characters that seem to appeal to Millennial viewers. But there were a few nice asses so will endure episode 2 hoping it improves!
The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has announced that Thailand will serve as the prominent set of HBO’s Emmy-winning anthology series, The White Lotus, season 3.

Filming for the acclaimed series is scheduled to begin in February in Bangkok, Phuket, and Ko Samui.

https://www.travelweekly.com.au/article ... 3-filming/

The show is pretty risqué so I wonder how much will get through the prudish Thai censorship firewalls, or will it all be just a mass of pixels?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:
buksida wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:25 am Heard that The White Lotus season 3 is set in Thailand so decided to find out what all the fuss was about. Must admit, S01E01 wasn't convincing. Its a kind of cheesy American version of Fawlty Towers in the tropics with weak, self-obsessed characters that seem to appeal to Millennial viewers. But there were a few nice asses so will endure episode 2 hoping it improves!
The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has announced that Thailand will serve as the prominent set of HBO’s Emmy-winning anthology series, The White Lotus, season 3.

Filming for the acclaimed series is scheduled to begin in February in Bangkok, Phuket, and Ko Samui.

https://www.travelweekly.com.au/article ... 3-filming/

The show is pretty risqué so I wonder how much will get through the prudish Thai censorship firewalls, or will it all be just a mass of pixels?
S2 was nothing short of brilliant but I thought S1 was very solid and well worth watching.

Rather like Succession it focuses on seriously 'ducked up' people and their dysfunctional family lives

Great telly, can't wait!

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

buksida

Post by buksida »

buksida wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:21 am Beacon 23 - A low-budget sci-fi that is really only worth watching if you have nothing else to watch.
I deleted this one after four episodes as it was shite. Just started The Tourist which looks a bit better, all set in Outback Australia which brings back memories.

https://eztvx.to/search/the-tourist
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

buksida wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:31 am
buksida wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:21 am Beacon 23 - A low-budget sci-fi that is really only worth watching if you have nothing else to watch.
I deleted this one after four episodes as it was shite. Just started The Tourist which looks a bit better, all set in Outback Australia which brings back memories.

I'd second the recommendation of The Tourist, my kids in their 30s enjoyed it too.

The second series of Kin aired last year, third on the way, probably this year. Irish TV (RTÉ) drama about gangland in Dublin, very focused on family bonds and how they drastically affect rivalries and actions. Not ultra violent like Gangs of London, but there is some blood spatter occasionally.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:

Interesting, I can recall reviews on here for The Tourist (2 years ago ish?) were not good with several people ditching it including myself

However I noticed it's got 97% on Rotten!

There's a season 2 now too

Anyway hope you enjoy it, let us know

buksida

Post by buksida »

I usually ignore the 'reviews' and just watch the pilot, if it is good enough to keep me coming back, I'll download the entire season.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:I usually ignore the 'reviews' and just watch the pilot, if it is good enough to keep me coming back, I'll download the entire season.
Yes so do I, just happened to notice the 97% when I googled it

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

thecolonel wrote:
Big Boy wrote:It is the header on either iPlayer or ITV X.
I've no doubt you are correct but I don't use those platforms

Normally the content is in my box so quickly that I don't need to. Not on this occasion sadly

Thanks

Mr Bates vs Post Office is now on my box

Thank God as the ads on ITV x player were driving me nuts!

How did we ever put up with multiple ad breaks back in the day?!

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

thecolonel wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:21 pm Mr Bates vs Post Office is now on my box
And what an incredible true story it is - quite astonishing. There's also a documentary on iPlayer. This story is all over the media in the UK and I hope the victims are fully compensated very soon.
This is the way