The SUV Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: All New Toyota Veloz

Post by Dannie Boy »

No idea what it will be like to drive, but it’s priced fairly competitively for a 7-seat mpv and I don’t think there’s too much competition in this segment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:50 pm No idea what it will be like to drive, but it’s priced fairly competitively for a 7-seat mpv and I don’t think there’s too much competition in this segment.

I think that 1.5 litre engine would be battling a bit, especialy if all 7 seats are occupied.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Nereus wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:50 pm No idea what it will be like to drive, but it’s priced fairly competitively for a 7-seat mpv and I don’t think there’s too much competition in this segment.

I think that 1.5 litre engine would be battling a bit, especialy if all 7 seats are occupied.
You’re probably not wrong!!

KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Nereus wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:37 pm When luxury meets utility

Toyota Motor Thailand Company Limited has launched the "All New Toyota Veloz", a luxury 7-seater MPV crossover
All new is a stretch. More like upgraded, renamed and now available in Thailand.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Avanza#Veloz

Could save yourself ฿100k and simply get the Avanza. Though not sure I'd want to put 7 people in either, with all of a 1.5L motor.
Phyton
Professional
Professional

Post by Phyton »

No Hybrid for Veloz?

The Toyota Hybridsystem (HSD) works perfect. After Auris HSD (Corolla) and C-HR HSD i have now the RAV4 HSD.
Very nice smooth engine combination.
Not like miss Toyota HSD.
Greets,
Phyton
mudcat
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mudcat »

The brake innovation is disk brakes on all four wheels unlike many low end models, and just like my first Alfa, a 1969 GTV.
We find a 1.5 engine sufficient in our 2013 Chevrolet Spin, but that is usually just two of us, the extra seats especially the rear two are nice to have but get little use.
The comparison to the Avanza is misplaced as the Veloz is wider and longer than that shoebox on wheels from Indonesia.
Nicely outfitted including side airbags, parking assist and blindspot warnings.

Do a Zigwheels comparison with the Avanza and Honda Mobilio and BR-V.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

mudcat wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:05 pm The comparison to the Avanza is misplaced as the Veloz is wider and longer
About 8 cm longer and 2 cm wider

VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

It's still aimed squarely at the Indonesian market, just slightly upmarket then the Avanza, the competition Mitsubishi Expander and the Suzuki XL7. They want to fit as many people as they can into as small a space as they can over there. It's a niche category in Thailand
วินเชนท์
mudcat
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mudcat »

I was operating off of Zigwheels comparison.
https://www.zigwheels.co.th/en/compare- ... yota-veloz
Believe the 1.3 variant is an earlier version.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Nereus wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:01 pm

I've been very impressed as the the power/performance these smaller engines put out. We've recently purchased a (used) Audi Q3 for the LHG which has 1.4 ltr TFSI - admittedly it's a "Compact SUV" rather than the 7 seater Toyota, but still.....

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: The SUV Thread

Post by VincentD »

You can't really compare a turbocharged, direct injection engine with variable camshaft timing to a normally aspirated dual camshaft engine. The Veloz is a budget Toyota built to be cheap.
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

And apparently the Veloz comes with a CVT as opposed to the Avanza, which has a standard torque converter auto transmission. I feel this is a step backward.
Note that I am an old git who prefers more old school - like a handbrake lever that is attached to the brake caliper with an actual cable rather than a switch to operate it. While I do appreciate that cars are much safer these days, the is a lot of fluff added on that is not necessary and sometimes belies common (driving) sense. Rant over.
วินเชนท์
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Jeep returns to the Kingdom with Wrangler Rubicon and big plans for the future

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/review ... -in-action (More photos)

phpB45u0EPM.jpg
phpB45u0EPM.jpg (101.53 KiB) Viewed 1065 times

After decades of absence from the Thai market, Jeep is back with a new distributor and new products.

Jeep sales in Thailand will be carried out via Belfort Automobile, a subsidiary of Master Group Corporation, which was recently appointed the official Jeep distributor for Thailand by the Stellantis Group.

The first Jeep model to be offered to Thai customers is the Wrangler Rubicon, imported in CBU form and available in both two and four-door variants. Other Jeep models are also being considered for the Thai market, including the Gladiator produced in India.

The Stellantis Group, which owns 14 auto brands including Jeep, is also studying possibilities of assembling Jeep models in Southeast Asia. It already has a production facility in Malaysia and Vietnam that could be utilised, but is also considering Thailand as a potential production venue.

Prices for the Wrangler Rubicon start at 5.19 million baht, and Belfort Automobile says customers will get further discounts on accessories, as well as three-year free maintenance and roadside assistance, plus a three-year/100,000km warranty.

Among the design highlights of the Jeep Wrangler are the iconic round LED headlamps, seven-slot keystone grille, high-clearance trapezoid fender flares, removable doors, exposed hinges, a fold-down windshield and removable top.

The Wrangler line-up is available with a range of engines, including a 6.4-litre V8, 3.0-litre mild-hybrid, 2.0-litre plugin hybrid, 3.0-litre diesel and turbocharged 2.0-litre petrol engine offered in the Thai-spec Wrangler Rubicon. The four-pot direct-injection turbo engine, with aluminium block and aluminium alloy heads, is capable of pumping out 270hp at 5,250rpm and 400Nm of torque at 3,000rpm and is mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission.

According to Jeep, the 2022 Wrangler Rubicon continues to offer a body-on-frame design and front/rear five-link suspension system. The two-door version has a wheelbase of 2,460mm compared to 3,008mm for the four-door variant.

Off-roading highlights include Dana 44 front and rear heavy-duty axles, enhanced off-road rock rails and rock-trac NV241 two-speed transfer case with a 4:1 low-range gear ratio. There are electric front and rear locking differentials, a disconnecting front sway bar and 32-inch BF Goodrich mud tyres. The Wrangler Rubicon also gets high-pressure gas-charged monotube shock absorbers with MTV technology and a hydraulic rebound stop.

The cabin features bucket seats with leather upholstery and analogue meters with a multi-information digital display that shows engine status as well as vital off-roading information. A fourth-generation Uconnect system includes Apple CarPlay/Android Auto and a 21.3cm touchscreen with pinch-and-zoom capability, plus an audio system with nine Alpine speakers.

There are also intelligent safety features such as blind-spot monitoring and rear cross-path detection, adaptive cruise control and forward collision warning.

Last year, Jeep sales in the Asia-Pacific grew by 33% to 47,000 units, with major markets being Australia, Japan and South Korea.

Carl Smiley, CEO for India & Asia Pacific of the Stellantis Group, told reporters at the Jeep launch in Thailand earlier this year that for Southeast Asian markets, Jeep wants to double market growth in the next few years.

"Whatever rate the market is growing, we want to double that," he said.

Jeep plans to have five showrooms in Thailand by 2023, with facilities to be shared with Peugeot, another Stellantis brand distributed in the Kingdom by Belfort Automobile.

The first Jeep showroom located on Sukhumvit Road is currently under construction and will be operational later this year.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

That's not a review, that's an advertisement.
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

This new Isuzu MU-X caught my attention the other day. Less than 1.2 million.
Attachments
20201029014725_IST1.jpg
(212.06 KiB) Downloaded 624 times