Going to the Monkey mountain?

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Going to the Monkey mountain?

Post by hhfarang »

We had one in our yard a while ago. He came walking up the side fence and the dogs were going berserk trying to get at him (good thing for them they didn't). He went from the wall to the top of the garage and just sat there picking his butt and smelling it or eating it :shock: for a while before going back to the wall and to the street, up a utility pole and actually walked the wires down the soi headed towards Soi 112 until out of sight.
P1010035 (Medium).JPG
P1010036 (Medium).JPG
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

I have been there a few times and have personally never felt threatened.

There is/was a wizened old troll in charge of the food up there and she used to beat them with a stick if they got a bit frisky. They seemed to take note of her presence...?
www.35mmview.com
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

Go and have a chat with Graham and Kan who have a tea shop around the corner from monkey mountain. When we went to have a cup of tea with them they had a monkey who would visit every day. I think they will tell you that some monkeys there are nasty :twisted: They bite and can be quite horrid. My opinion is ..do not trust monkeys, I personally do not think they are to be trusted :roll:
Johanna

Post by Johanna »

Haven't been there myself, because I do not trust these "cute" animals.
A while ago we we walking on Chomsin Road, soi 70 over the railroad track.
At one stage we saw plenty of monkeys hanging around at a green container.
We went to the other side of the street to watch them from a save distance.
Don't know how to add a photo, otherwise I would have done it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Johanna wrote:Don't know how to add a photo, otherwise I would have done it.
Johanna,

It's not too late - here's a guide on how to post photos :D
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Johanna

Post by Johanna »

Sorry Big Boy, I don't see it. :-(
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:lach: That's because I didn't post it :oops: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16714

Points 48; Position 20
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Last trip a small monkey grabbed the water bottle from my niece. He retreated a short way a d started drinking. A big monkey came up, belted him on the head and took the bottle
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ I've seen things like this twice. We took my mother-in-law who comes from very sturdy stock, up to see the palace and wats on top of the mountain in Petchaburi where there are also a lot of monkeys. She (near 70 years old) was carrying a bottle of water and a monkey grabbed the end of the bottle and tried to take it. She hung on to the other end and there was a back and forth tug of war for about a minute during which I was laughing so hard I forgot I had a camera with me! Finally, someone in the crowd told her to let go or the monkey would bite her so she let him have it. Personally, I think given time she would have kicked his ass as she's a tough old bird!

The other instance was with some visiting Thai family at Takiab monkey mountain. A (20 year old) niece-in-law bought an ice cream on a stick at one of the stalls just before you start up to the golden Buddha. A few paces up while she was still tearing the paper off the ice cream a huge monkey came from nowhere flying through the air. He hit her in the chest with his feet, grabbed the ice cream, and then used his back legs to push off springing far away before landing and running away with his treat. It nearly knocked the poor girl down and scared the hell out of her.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I was put off them at Prachuabkirikhan one time on the long climb up the hill to the temple. There were just so many of the creatures that it all became a bit threatening and I beat a hasty retreat. After all, they have big teeth and can and do carry rabies.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I've also heard that the type of monkey most common here (macaque, I think) can also have aids and spread it with a bite.
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

Re the AIDS I looked and found that it may not be true:

Monkeys cannot carry HIV, but simians (which includes monkeys) however can be carriers of SIV (Simian Immunodeficiency Virus), just as cats cannot be carriers of HIV, but can be infected with FIV (Feline Immunodeficiency Virus). There have been countless lab studies looking at the similarities of SIV and HIV where monkeys are exposed to HIV. With some exception (that being us humans) primates are not able to provide a hospitable environment for HIV to maintain viral replication. That being said, SIV, the simian virus that can cause SAIDS (Simian Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome) is not usually a destructive agent in simian populations. Most simians, for example the African Green Monkey, and the Rhesus Monkey can harbor the virus at high levels and never develop symptoms of SAIDS; and just as a simian's body cannot provide an environment suitable for viral replication, a human's body also cannot provide the environment to allow SIV to proliferate.
So no you cannot get AIDS or HIV from a monkey bite or scratch as they can only carry SIV and not HIV.
no more dePreston
Johanna

Post by Johanna »

Big Boy wrote::lach: That's because I didn't post it :oops: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16714

I tried to post it, but it say that the attachemnet os too big.
Well, I am not a wizzkid.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Have a look at the second post on the guide - it tells you how to re-size your photos.

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It could be that the over population of stray dogs is keeping the over population of foraging monkeys at bay. Upset the balance and you may have a simian invasion worse than the dogs are. :shock: Hua Hin, Lopburi of the South. Catchy tourist attractor. :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source