Look Kreung

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Look Kreung

Post by Jaime »

One of my wife's cousins came to visit us in Hua Hin on our last visit and exclaimed that she'd never seen so many look kreung in the same place before (she has no prejudice by the way - she's got two herself). It seems there is an unusually high concentration in Hua Hin, presumably due to the not inconsiderable ex-pat population.

In a separate thread in the News part of the forum the question was raised by Buksida, partly in jest and partly from experience I guess, on whether look kreung would receive the same benefit from a new government scheme as the 'Hullerd per cen Thai' kids.

Since look kreung are in theory 'Thai' and, provided they have a Thai mother (usually the case) eligible for Thai nationality I would be interested to know if they are treated differently in Thailand to the other kids - apart from the obvious coo-ing and aww-ing that Thais lavish on look kreung and farang kids.

Any experiences?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Years ago, before I came over here, I did quite a bit of research on Thailand and Thai nationality through the internet.
Now, it was a while ago and I could have got it wrong, but I was led to believe that if the father of a child here was Thai, the child could claim Thai nationality. Not the other way round, if the father was farang.
I understand that, even if this was the case, the situation's changed now.
However, if the prejudice still exists, then maybe the luuk kreung won't be eligible for the books etc that you posted on another thread.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

The child's nationality (if the father is not Thai) has to be decided upon within the first year of his/her birth; I opted for Thai nationality for both. The eldest will soon be thirteen. There is a lot of paperwork involved, though.

Apart from looking slightly different from the other kids, I see no difference in the way they are treated. I, however, will still the outsider no matter how long I've been here...
วินเชนท์
buksida

Post by buksida »

VincentD wrote:The child's nationality (if the father is not Thai) has to be decided upon within the first year of his/her birth;
Is this true? If so what happens if you havent done it in the first year and where do you go about doing it? Is it simply a matter of getting a Thai passport?

More info appreciated. Cheers.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Perhaps that is something new? When my son was born here in 1972 he was issued a normal Thai birth certificate and a US Dept. of State birth certificate confirming his USA citizenship. We were told then he had until his 20th birthday to declare if he wanted to retain his Thai nationality or not. I've also heard since that even if he didn't declare, if he shows up in LOS anytime in his life with his Thai birth certificate and want's to become a Thai citizen, he can. I haven't confirmed this however. Pete
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

VincentD wrote:The child's nationality (if the father is not Thai) has to be decided upon within the first year of his/her birth; I opted for Thai nationality for both. The eldest will soon be thirteen. There is a lot of paperwork involved, though.
I don't think this is correct unless it has changed in the last couple of years. Our youngest (now 3) obtained his Thai nationality and passport at age 18 months from the Thai Consulate in London. He was issued with a Thai birth certificate and passport within about 3 weeks and can retain his British citizenship, so he has dual nationality. I have heard of Pete's comment about the decision that needs to be made at age 20 before. I have been told it is something to do with national military service and therefore only applies to boys. Put simply, if you are prepared to do it you retain all the rights and benefits conferred on a Thai citizen. If not then you lose them. Sounds fair enough to me.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Jaime, this sounds about right, I have also spoken to a couple of people here with nippers that have confirmed.

Ours is only 8 months old and I don't fancy dragging him to Bangkok to deal with sour faced beaurcrats at such a tender age!

For those that have babies here what are the procedures? I've heard that you need to get a Thai passport first, then the UK. If its done the other way round the Thais wont except it and he'll need to get a visa in his UK passport?

Please shed some light!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Don't know if mentioned before but expecting #5, a daughter, at any moment. Therefore, we'll have to go through the same investigative procedure in coming months concerning USA/Thai requirements. I'll keep notes and post for comparison as we go along. Pete
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

And it may very well be that the rules are different concerning citizens from different countries. I was born in an ASEAN country, of which Thailand is a member.

The hospital issued a Thai birth certificate at the time, but nothing else. They said I'd have to go to the embassy regarding citizenship. Well, my wife went to our Amphur, and they confirmed that my son could only hold one nationality. When I spoke to the third secretary at my embassy at the time, he did confirm it, and said I had a year to make up my mind. I did.

On a seperate note, when I applied for permanent residence, I now do recall the officer mentioning that qualification requirements did differ from country to country :| .

Didn't mean to stir up any controversy, but that is what I went through for both my kids, and am only stating the facts.
วินเชนท์
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Vincent - your eldest child is 13. Maybe things were different then but I think things have changed alot in the last 13 years. Don't forget, not so long ago Thai women married to foreigners could not own land etc. I'm sure to have posted this before but it was at the Thai consulate in London that I was told that all children born to Thai mothers anywhere in the world are eligible for Thai nationality.

This does not exclude them from holding dual nationality. I think it is a means of ensuring that foreign educated Thais can return to contribute to Thai society. Every single Thai that I know in the UK (male and female) has dual nationality, along with all the look kreung that I know here. I also know Thais with dual Thai-Dutch, Finnish and Swedish nationalities. Next time you are at Don Muang immigration look at all the returning Thai ex-pats fumbling with their two passports, trying to find the right one.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Yes, I agree a lot has changed since then. My wife has now transferred the (landed) property from her sister's name to her own; it will go to the kids when we pass on.

One of the girls at work also mentioned that a woman does not necessarily have to take her husband's surname when she gets married, it was not th case before.

Looks like I'll have to invest in the latest translation of the 'Civil and Commercial Code, Books 1 - 6' as mine are now outdated. The 'conditions of marriage' section make for some very interesting reading.
วินเชนท์