Washington Square, Bangkok

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Washington Square, Bangkok

Post by caller »

It's now being developed and you get a grandstand view of that from the BTS. it's a big area and near the park, is another separate much smaller area, with pics of a planned very glamorous looking and very high and slim white condo block, with some sort of viewing platform at the top (I was walking past last Wednesday).
Talk is cheap
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Bamboo Grove wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:47 pm This is what Washington Square looked last June, when I walked past it.
Brings a tear to your eye, doesn't it. :(
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Yes it does Pete... many a fond memory of nights partying in the square.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

What are they going to build there , another condo building, another shopping centre, another piece of urban boring nothingness. Be sure that is nothing with any character, nothing memorable, not even photogenic--that will be sure to bring the tourists back again.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

oakdale160 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:30 am What are they going to build there , another condo building, another shopping centre, another piece of urban boring nothingness. Be sure that is nothing with any character, nothing memorable, not even photogenic--that will be sure to bring the tourists back again.
I heard that it is going to be an outdoor ice skating rink with a snow skiing ramp. :shock:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Really, I withdraw my cynical remarks.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

by caller » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:26 pm
An old, old thread, but I know there are people on here who have fond memories of this place. The Mall Group bought it up a long time ago and it was to be the 3rd part of what was to become known as 'EmDistrict', with the others being Emporium and Emquartier, located opposite each other, either side of Phrom Phong BTS. For a while, the vacant area hosted Dinosaur Park, a fun fair type attraction, but that closed some months back.

It's now been announced that a new mixed use complex to be built there, known as Emsphere, will include a 6000 capacity concert and entertainment complex, to be known as Em Live, to be managed by American run AEG.

That's quite a transformation.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/ne ... -new-arena
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think that Dinosaur Park had a ferris wheel and other rides that went up in flames a few years back. Perhaps that was the straw that forced them to close. I'm not sure though if the place that had the fire was indeed the Dinosaur Park?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

That's a dead link Nereus. Can you find it again?

Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

PeteC wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:34 pm That's a dead link Nereus. Can you find it again?

No, I don't have access to the archives. Caller will probably have an update.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

This should work.

My other half works at the companies head office in Bangkok. So I usually here before announcements are made. It won't just be an arena, despite the pic in the article. It's a huge space and a 6000 capacity arena isn't that big really.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/15 ... -new-arena
Talk is cheap
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

caller wrote:This should work.

My other half works at the companies head office in Bangkok. So I usually here before announcements are made. It won't just be an arena, despite the pic in the article. It's a huge space and a 6000 capacity arena isn't that big really.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/15 ... -new-arena
Hi Caller,

Does your other half have any idea if the Bangkok malls will reopen this/next week?

I had heard that a couple of malls would open on Friday this week to test the operation going forward, is there any truth in this?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Henry 14th wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:34 am
Does your other half have any idea if the Bangkok malls will reopen this/next week?

I had heard that a couple of malls would open on Friday this week to test the operation going forward, is there any truth in this?

Thanks.
I thought I had heard the so-called 'teat run' was cancelled?

She is working all hours, so we only have very brief chats each night. I asked her about this last night and I don't think they are expecting any advance notice and will hear at the same time as everyone else, but they are planning. I don't think its giving away any state secrets that qr codes are being considered for access to automated car parks and the like. So if you have an M card, get the app.
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Will the 6000 people have to stay 2 meters apart?
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

caller wrote:
Henry 14th wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:34 am

Thanks.
I thought I had heard the so-called 'teat run' was cancelled?

She is working all hours, so we only have very brief chats each night. I asked her about this last night and I don't think they are expecting any advance notice and will hear at the same time as everyone else, but they are planning. I don't think its giving away any state secrets that qr codes are being considered for access to automated car parks and the like. So if you have an M card, get the app.
Ok thanks for the info Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk